Headphone/Earphone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Zee

Zee Member

You
    could try Trinity, they have a 40 % off code currently, I think, ("40percent"), they have changeable filters to tune the sound. Don't go as deep in as the ER4's (oddly, I prefer how deep the ER4's go, but mine have mysteriously vanished). I don't think there is an in-line mic control thingy option, though.

You're welcome to try mine when I'm back in Sydney, though.

Z...

2. connico

connico Member

What are you looking to use the headphones for??? Gaming or entertainment? What are the primary criteria?

I would suggest getting a better quality headphone for hifi and adding a microphone for gaming...

Can you measure the widest distance from the sides of your head and let us know what that is?

3. EmbraceThePing

EmbraceThePing Member

hey connico.

I'm fairly limited in what I can afford at the mo so I need to keep it as cheap as I can. Hence the two I linked. I was looking for something for gaming so acoustical fidelity isn't high on the must have list. I'd prefer circumaural for comfort and I find the "metal" bands those two i linked to have a better track record of survival than the rigid plastic and wired is ok.

Around the forehead (hatsize) I'm 62cm and across the top ear hole to earhole I'm 38cm.

4. connico

connico Member

Drop into jb hifi and try a pair of ath-50x and see how you go... the band extends and should fit your head... add a mic and you should be set for life... if it fits...

5. EmbraceThePing

EmbraceThePing Member

... and I should charge the two hundred dollars above what I was going to pay on the headphones I linked to, to you?
    Thanks anyway. I'll ust wait and see if anyone has tried the linked phones.

6. connico

connico Member

How long have these kinds of headphones lasted for you???... factor that in and get back to me...

The ath50x is 150ish when its on sale.. never pay retail...

Regardless if you try the ath30 if really on a budget..

Regarding the Renga its junk... both for isolation and sound quality. The microphone is poorly placed and pickup is appalling...

The cougar i havnt tried and most likely wont...

7. OJR

OJR Member

I have a big head too. The M50X are painfully small. Don't even bother. Not to mention they are shit headphones.

I use AKG K7XX headphones from Massdrop as my main PC cans. They are awesome for massive heads but a little out of your price range.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    EmbraceThePing likes this.
  8. Sico Music

Sico Music Member

Hey guys I'm looking at getting a headset just for PUBG to hear footsteps. I currently have a surround sound setup which I can kinda hear footsteps on (if I turn the volume up but then gunshots and vehicles are super loud and give me a headache) but not as well as my mates with headsets. My budget is max $500 preferably the $200-$300 range, my only other real requirement is that it's over the ear/

9. OJR

OJR Member

Many will tell you, but surround sound headphones are a load of shit. Just get a pair of decent open back stereo headphones and they will be just as good, if not better than those so-called surround headsets.

10. connico

connico Member

If you dont need a microphone then just get any $300-500 set of headphones that sits nicely from AKG, Audio Technica, Sennheiser etc... add a microphone and youlll be fine...

Otherwise.. if you want a wired or integrated headphone for that price range then ATH-AG1X

If you want to try wireless... I'd give the AIAIAIA Bluetooth headphones a go... I use them for my daily commute and light gaming whilst on the road.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  11. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

The Zalman attachable boom-mic that is around $15 from PCCG is good for existing non mic headsets.

12. Zee

Zee Member

I
    'd like to find a good one to use with my earphones...

Z...

13. Dimtar

Dimtar Member

Can I use a pair of Sennheiser HD599 and a Schiit Magni 2. I feel like it has the right impedance etc. but I wanted to ask.

14. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Doesn't matter, the Magni 2 can drive low and high Z headphones no problems.

15. metalrain

metalrain Member

After having so many build/physical problems with my pair of AIAIAI TMA-1 Studio, I personally would never recommend this brand. Unless they've drastically change their use of very cheap plastics and even adhesives, and those things last for more than a few months (my TMA-1 Studios fell apart in 3 months), then I'd look into more reputable brands.

16. connico

connico Member

Mine TMA2 have lasted a year now... the bluetooth band is new and is a gamble but seems pretty solid for now

17. super kermit

super kermit Member

Looking to upgrade my gaming headphones
    Currently using AUDIO TECHNICA AD700 headphones for the PC.
    https://www.headfonia.com/audio-technica-ad700-review/

Direct connection from Motherboard 3.5mm stereo jack.

Audio out is SupremeFX 2014
    https://rog.asus.com/articles/produ...-2014-sonic-senseamp-soundstage-sonic-studio/
    Asus Rampage V extreme
    https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_V_EXTREME/

No room for a soundcard unless I use a PCI extender ribbon cable (3 graphics cards)

Also have a buttkicker Gamer 2 on the chair.

Whats the next step up in gaming headphones then?

I was thinking Sennhesier Hd650?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018 at 10:18 AM