Headphone/Earphone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. fcyde

fcyde Member

Good choice, wont be disappointed with the Schiit gear. AKG KXXX and QXXX (+AD700/AD900) were recommended for gaming a lot because of their large soundstage which is good for positional cues in FPS games in particular. Depends what sort of games you play i guess. They tend to lack bass if that matters to you.

2. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Only the AD700 lacked bass, actually it virtually had no bass, people on head-fi back in the day were modding the shit out of them to get more bass response out of them. Why it was ever recommended for gaming is beyond me as its a piece of shit at best, wing flap design suited for large heads, shit earpad seal, no bass, awful low mids.

At least the AD900 had a better FR and had some ompph in the low end regions, but it still carried over the poor over the head wing design which rested on your head pretty loosely. But it was pretty much overlooked back in the days as most people just jumped to the AD1000X and AD2000 models.

The modern AD900x is a lot better than its predecessor.

The original K701, 702 and the original green Quincy Jones 701 (K701 in green colour) were a piece of shit as well. The K712 and newer K7XX after including the anniversary model was a lot better.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  3. super kermit

super kermit Member

Ordered K712 Pros

4. j3ll0

j3ll0 Member

Hi All,

looking for canalphones to suit a child (think 9 years old). They need to have a mic. I would prefer if they were or could be volume limited but that feature is not a must-have.

Main concern is the size of the bud that needs to go in-ear.

Thoughts?

5. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Size of the bud doesn't matter as all earphones have tips to accommodate different ear canals.

j3ll0 likes this.
  6. j3ll0

j3ll0 Member

Except the ones that don't. Checking out, for example, the JBL offerings, some models come with 3 sizes of covers, some come with only the single size. They have a sportsperson model that would be awesome (waterproof as well - good for messy child), but it only came in the one size.

7. OJR

OJR Member

j3ll0 likes this.
  8. Smiley__24

Smiley__24 Member

Hi Guys.

I'm in the market for a set of gaming headphones. I want good positional audio for PUBG. They will be driven directly from my sound card and I'd like to keep the price under $200 but can stretch if there is a significant improvement to be had at a slightly higher price point. I prefer circumaural. Would be cool if they had a mic but it looks like I'd be better off adding a clip on at this price.

I've currently got some Creative junk (revolver or something) but they are hard on my ears. I get a ringing after a long gaming session through fatigue even though I have the volume very low at all times (working in a noisy machine shop all day does not help).

Cheers
    Aaron

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  9. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Under $200 is a bit hard, you're only option is going with another gaming type headset better than your current Creatives.

10. Smiley__24

Smiley__24 Member

Would something like the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X be worth considering?

The ATH-ADG1X gets recommended a bit, would these compare to the 700x or the 900x or somewhere in between? Or are they just totally different?

I was mistaken, the headphones I have are HyperX Cloud Revolvers.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  11. isaakk

isaakk Member

Anyone have a recommendation for some headphones with similar sound quality/tone as the HD598's, but with more impact down low?

12. fcyde

fcyde Member

Its been a few years since i owned a pair of 598's, but maybe take a look at the Fidelio X2's

isaakk and Eradicate' like this.
  13. isaakk

isaakk Member

Look like they might fit the bill, will get my hands on some X2HR's and give them a go. Cheers!

14. super kermit

super kermit Member

I am selling my Audio Technica AD700s with an amp :)

15. connico

connico Member

Then buy them seperately? Canal tips can be replaced by third party tips... just need to find the right size fitting

16. dinkleton

dinkleton Member

Got a couple of PCCG gift vouchers for Christmas, thinking of dropping them on a good gaming headset. Are there any on the horizon worth waiting for? Budget probably 180-200 I reckon. Comfort and good surround are key for me. Any recommendations?

17. mitsimonsta

mitsimonsta Member

I was lucky enough to pick up a pair of Nuforce Be6i's off amazon just before Christmas at a good price. I have now killed the Comply's that were supplied with them, and would love to get cheaper tips of better quality.

Anyone got good experiences with any of the Ali, Fleabay or Amazon generics? I'd be looking to spend a buck to a buck and a half per pair in bulk.

18. angel31

angel31 New Member

Better wired or wireless headphones?

19. iNoob

iNoob Member

Looking for some advice gents.

Have a set of Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro's which have developed a left can rattle. (Audio cable needs to be bent in a weird way to actually connect too). Plus a retired set of Ultrasone HD550's.

Was potentially looking at something new around the 250-300 range. Or should I have a go at repairing the current set/just getting new pads for the ultrasones?

20. Gus the Mus

Gus the Mus Member

Hey guys, any recommendations for a wireless headset up to about $200-250? Preference is something with bluetooth as it'll be used sometimes for music/gaming and sometimes connected to the iPhone for conference calls. I'm just over wires........