Headphone/Earphone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Bourke

Bourke Member

So I have T1's and done enough hrs to know what they sound like......I bought a pair of new stax SR-507's as an example of transparent and electrostats, have to amp them still.

Some ppl prefer the T1's over HD800 S
    Some ppl prefer ETHER's over HD800 S
    Some prefer HD800 over HD800 S , coz of price mostly.

The question is do I need to buy a pair of HD 800 S, or if I demo a pair, that should be enough to understand them.

I don't want to buy them coz they are 800's, i'd only buy them as a top tier pair I need to as reference....If I bought them, i'd have to sell HD700s and prob other stuff to come back onto "budget"

2. Suopermanni

Suopermanni Member

Personally, I'd say demo them on a system you know well with music you know well. TO me, the HD800s don't sound THAT different to the HD800.

3. Bourke

Bourke Member

it's the LEGEND bit that's the draw for me, but it's 50/50 love by most ppl for them, some build systems around HD800S, I think i'll pass then or jus DEMO for a reference.....Plus I love my DT1990 over T1

4. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Buy my HD800 set. It's pretty cheap.
    Like them, keep them or SDP mod them. Don't like them, sell for same price.

Only reason I bought them used, was because I wanted to own them for a while before I decided if they were for me.

Bought my MrSpeakers Aeon new.

5. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

And on that note. HD800 vs DT1990 in clarity and detail isn't a comparison. I've heard both. HD800 is crazy nuts ridiculous. DT1990 is just really good.

6. jay-stormchaser

jay-stormchaser Member

Hello

As per the title I have a set of Astro A50 wireless headphones and I would like to replace them with a better set.

I will be using the headphones for gaming.
    I mainly play FPS games where positional sound is critical i.e PUBG, Escape from Tarkov ect
    I assume I will need an amp to power the phones
    Budget for headphones and amp around $500
    Would prefer wired this time
    Would prefer to stay away from headsets so will need a mic too (probably will blow the $500 budget out) any suggestions?

Thanks

7. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Don't need an amplifier so cross that off the list. For gaming wise, just get the Audio Technica AD-900x and then a dedicated desk mic or get the Audio Technica AG1X.

8. Tazor

Tazor Member

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdr...eadphones?utm_source=linkshare&referer=86F37E

Get these. They have changed my life in FPS games. I play Siege which is massively sound oriented and I can hear things my friends just can't and pinpoint sound really accurately.

And they are tremendously good for music and general listening, although you need to be quick cos there's barely any left!

9. OJR

OJR Member

Is there such a thing as a good set of bluetooth headphones for $150 or less? My friend's bday is coming up and I want to get him some for use with his iphone for walking to and from work, public transport etc. I have Bose QC35 IIs but I don't want to spend that much on him. Don't need noise cancelling either.

I did see these: https://www.pccasegear.com/products/41831/audio-technica-ath-s200bt-wireless-over-ear-headphones
    But there are no decent reviews for them anywhere.

10. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Does he need the noise cancelling ability of those in the Bose QC? If not the AT’s are good go. Sony has a few wireless models that are good as well.

11. OJR

OJR Member

No, like I said, no need for NC. Cheers, will have a look at Sony as well.

12. DVDHack

DVDHack Member

Anyone here run Focal Utopia headphones? If so what do you drive them with?

13. Suopermanni

Suopermanni Member

Best ask at stereo.net.au. I do know a user there called Benjet that has recently acquired one.

14. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Skip sna and ask on headfi or superbestfriend audio. Actually you don’t need to ask just google search and you’d get lots of info.

In terms of headphone gear SNA is not my go to source for information as people there have limited experience(s).

15. DVDHack

DVDHack Member

I did a lot of reading on them before I bought, most reviews rather than end users. They should arrive tomorrow so I’ll try what I have first, otherwise I’ll need to head to Melbourne, I’m philosophically opposed to going south of the Ring Rd though. I was hoping I’d find someone whose had them for a while.

16. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Just don't get anything that is OTL to drive them as it won't work due to the low impedance on the Utopia's.

Suopermanni likes this.
  17. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Dunno what you want to classify as 'decent', but I bought a pair of THESE JBL T450BT on ear phones a couple days ago. I can't speak for how long they will last obviously, but they are light, comfortable and have reasonable sound quality. They appear to be pretty well made, light but not flimsy at all.

If I have a complaint about them it would be that you cannot run them while plugged into the charger, the charging port is blocked with the headphones unfolded, so use is strictly via bluetooth.

For $58 might be a cheap option?

EDIT: didn't notice the age of that post, oops.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  18. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

And for heaven's sake look after them and clean them. They are $4000 headphones.

19. DVDHack

DVDHack Member

I’ve got a Woo Audio WA5LE which uses 300Bs, I have no idea if they are OTL. But it does have a Low Impedance output that I think is rated at 8 ohms. I also have a Hugo, but that’s obviously SS. I’ve been wanting to sell the WA5 because it turns my office into an oven in summer.

20. Suopermanni

Suopermanni Member

According to Woo Audio's site, they are transformer coupled, not OTL.

Also yes, keep them nice and tidy AND DON'T OPEN THEM UP. Beryllium is highly toxic.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018