Headphone/Earphone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

End up getting them?

Thoughts?

2. BurritoJustice

BurritoJustice Member

I personally bought OIDIO cables, and they are expensive but very well made. I got them for customised aesthetics and build quality, I am not one to think cables make any difference to sound.

I ended up buying HE6se after I talked about them in this thread a while ago. Ended up paying $1780 AUD total, got a pretty good deal. I really love them.

3. jomo

jomo Member

Yes I did and been using them daily ever since.

Noise cancelling is excellent - blocks out enough noise from the neighbours tools when you've got music on that you can't hear them at all. Great for mowing the lawn too, brings the mower down to a dull roar in between track changes.

My wife couldn't be happier with them, I'd like if there was a little bit more bass - but not lacking enough to legitimately call it a complaint.

Would definitely recommend, and would buy the same again in a heartbeat. We've got an overseas holiday planned in Feb next year, so I'll be able to give some feedback on their airplane effectiveness also.

4. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Awesome. Glad to hear it!

Decent bit of kit.

5. ysojelly

ysojelly Member

Evening gents, a short query for whomever feels inclined to reply.
    Has anyone had/tested the original Audioquest Nighthawks? I do have a set myself, but i'll reserve my opinion for later. Im wondering whether to look further afield to perhaps a set of Audeze LCD(somethings)2's, X's or along those lines.

6. Bourke

Bourke Member

I was gonna buy them, found cheap in OZ too, but I never pulled the trigger....or even demo'd them
    Early release, they had some cable/driver issues, later on they got alot better/sounded a bit different too.

Some reviews were not great or "they are doing something different and I love / hate it"
    They fall into that sub $1000 bracket, which I don't deal in anymore.
    I'd jus say they are different, like HD700's or HD800's, aren't they bio-cellulose and suspended drivers, so mid's should be very realistic, if it works.

There's no "better" only different.....let us know your budget and it'll help to recommend something.

7. neRok

neRok Member

I'm looking to improve my portable headphones, because I'm currently using some average IEM's. I've got DT880 250ohm with appropriate amp as my desktop setup, which I like. So I'm wondering if I should just get a suitable portable amp, or maybe get some similar headphones such as the closed DT770 32ohm. Has anyone made this comparison? I've seen a lot of websites comparing 250 or 600ohm versions, but not 250 vs 32. I'm wondering if the DT770 32ohm might be too dissimilar?

Saying that though, the DT880 are dissimilar to the IEM's already :rolleyes:

8. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

What IEM?

The Beyers aren't super portable. IEMs are.

And 250 vs 32, be some differences but at this price point, not much. More just a driving difference. So don't worry about that.

9. ysojelly

ysojelly Member

Yeah there seemed to be a fair amount of heated discussion in regards to it. I for one, love my set, they provide an open feeling soundstage, similar to many akg cans, but less airy, so lows and mids dont loose their impact. They also seem to have a comfortable level of energy, good, tight through the whole frequency range. (Between a tube and a ss amp, i find the tubes put more life into the hawks than my Magni 3.

End game for me would probably be around the 2.5k mark, but im not sure what else would need improving in my chain. i guess i'd have to demo some of the audeze gear to justify to myself if its worth the upgrade..

10. neRok

neRok Member

Soundmagic E10's. At the time I was using DT440 and asked the bloke at Headphonics what he recommended similar for a good price, and that's what I was given. I don't mind the sound signature of them, but they need a fair bit of volume to really get going (a bit flat at low volumes), which I don't like.

I don't mind wearing cans on the train, and I prefer the voluminous sound they give, hence looking at DT770.

11. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

DT770 are decent. Beyer build quality is good.

You can get some really good IEMs for same money too. So I guess decide on what form you want and lock it in.

12. neRok

neRok Member

Have you got any IEM recommendations that have the right sound signature? Seeing as I only listen to metal, I've found a rather flat signature that certainly doesn't lack in bass to be what I want.

13. Bourke

Bourke Member

if it has to be a good planar, i'd go lcd-3, but prices are BS, so try lcd-xc, Ebay has 10% off at A2A, $1705 posted.
    they gonna be a little heavy for long sessions, do the CF headband and it's $2000 total.
    I'm running off a MOJO, they are hungry but usable......comfort is great now and best earpads.
    Or if you prefer a more treble sound, then hifiman stuff.
    buying over $2k is too much to justify.

ysojelly likes this.
  14. ysojelly

ysojelly Member

notable differences between the 3/xc?

15. Bourke

Bourke Member

same same....jus they both not go for portable, power hungry and touch heavy.
    same drivers, ear pads and headband.....it's old tech but it does a very good job.

My head is european, with a bit of a point, and i'm sitting on the top of the rods, no travel left, I could use them 1 notch down but I prefer loose fit.
    Hifiman Ananda vs LCD-3
    Bright, trebley, great detail, decent bass, great comfort, easier to drive(they like between 150-300ohn settings)...vs Accurate, mid-low bass, better soundstage, more black, moar powrrrrrr

Don't be afraid of Closed, demo if you can though coz everyone is different.
    No one hates LCD's, they hate the weight of them.
    If I didn't snag my used lcd-3, then i'd buy a new LCD-XC, buying both makes no sense....did try for LCD-4's but prob too heavy.

16. Azrael

Azrael Member

On the other (well different) end of the audiophile spectrum. Im chasing a new pair of wireless headphones for basic gaming and discord chatting in multiplayer games.

Ive been using a pair of Sony Pulse Elite headphones (https://www.techradar.com/au/review...wireless-headset-elite-edition-1100892/review) for about 5 years now and they have been fine for it. I actually prefer them to the HE350s, HD595 or HD6XXs and MXL mic combo for casual gaming.

However, the ear cups have started cracking off the headband, and while there are solutions I thought i would look around at other options.

Need to be wireless, good noise elimination, volume control onboard (rather than having to jump back to Windows for volume) and USB chargeable while wearing/using.

Madengineer likes this.
  17. neRok

neRok Member

I went to StoreDJ yesterday to try some headphones out, driving the cans with my Fiio X3II. The results were not what I expected, as detailed below. Perhaps someone with experience can weigh in on my question at the end...

So unfortunately I could not try the Beyerdynamic DT770 32ohms, because they did not have them on display.
    So I started with DT770 80ohm. I gave them a good listen, could tell they had a lot of nice properties like my DT880's (treble, sound-stage, etc), but they were lacking something. I wondered if my X3 was struggling with the 80ohms load? I noticed they were physically a bit lighter than my DT880's too (a positive for portability).
    Tried the cheaper Beyerdynamic DT240. These performed great for the money IMO, but the sound quality was definitely less than I was looking for.
    Shure SRH440 were pretty good too, definitely in the ballpark for the sound I like, but I wasn't convinced.
    Tried the Shure SRH840 thinking they might improve upon the 440, but I found the sound was quite dissimilar, so didn't listen for long.
    Tried a bunch of other headphones in the $150-$300 range (some Autio Technica, Sennheiser, Pioneer, etc), but they all sounded bad to me.
    I tried the Sennheiser HD600 on out of curiosty, because they seem popular on a lot of headphone forums, especially in discussions regarding the DT880 and the like. I can see why people like them, they are much better than the cheaper Senn' models. The sound is different to what I like from the Beyer's though.

So after all that I tried the DT770 80ohms again, but now I like them even less. Too little bass I was finding.
    So I tried the 250ohm version on the amp they had there, in case it was my X3 letting the headphones down (this was the case in the past when I tried to drive my DT880 250ohms with the X3). They were the same though.
    Then I tried the DT990 250ohms out on the amp, and OMG, so good. Heaps of bass, and all the other good sound qualities I like.
    Then I sampled the DT880 250hms out on the amp, to get a base-line, and yep, they were great too. A little smoother, and more natural in the bottom end than the DT990. I have seen the DT990 referred to as the fun version of the very clinical DT880, and I would agree with that assessment.

I've just looked up regarding the lack of bass on the DT770, and it does seem to be a common complaint. However, other people say the bass they have is huge, bigger than the likes of DT880 and DT990. I then see people say that getting a good seal on your head is critical to create the intended bass. So my question is, is this correct in your experience, that a seal makes all the difference? Is this due to them being a closed headphone, whereby they need a contained volume to work against? It is entirely possible I was not getting a good seal, whereas the open headphones must not require a seal and produce bass regardless, hence my results.

18. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

The real problem swapping between headphones like that is that you get used to a balance of bass/mids/treble in that one set will sound lacking in bass if your previous ones were a bit excessive.

I have the DT990 250ohm and they're great, and sound fairly flat in response to me for the most part until the lower bass where they do start to drop off, and a little bright at times although I seem to have gotten used to it - let's do the audiophile thing and call that "burn in" ;)

19. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

You need a good deal, yes. But with a around ear closed model, if you don't have glasses on, this should be fine all the time. Unless you have a super weird head. With glasses you kind of need soft leather and memory foam pads to conform around.

20. neRok

neRok Member

Yer cool. I don't wear reading glasses, but things like my hair could be affecting the seal. I've just been doing research, and decided to purchase the 32 ohm version, because I see they have pleather ear pads. One review I read said these help with isolation and seal, so hopefully that proves to be the case. I will report back.