1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

Headphone/Earphone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

End up getting them?

Thoughts?

2. BurritoJustice

BurritoJustice Member

I personally bought OIDIO cables, and they are expensive but very well made. I got them for customised aesthetics and build quality, I am not one to think cables make any difference to sound.

I ended up buying HE6se after I talked about them in this thread a while ago. Ended up paying $1780 AUD total, got a pretty good deal. I really love them.

3. jomo

jomo Member

Yes I did and been using them daily ever since.

Noise cancelling is excellent - blocks out enough noise from the neighbours tools when you've got music on that you can't hear them at all. Great for mowing the lawn too, brings the mower down to a dull roar in between track changes.

My wife couldn't be happier with them, I'd like if there was a little bit more bass - but not lacking enough to legitimately call it a complaint.

Would definitely recommend, and would buy the same again in a heartbeat. We've got an overseas holiday planned in Feb next year, so I'll be able to give some feedback on their airplane effectiveness also.

4. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Awesome. Glad to hear it!

Decent bit of kit.

5. ysojelly

ysojelly Member

Evening gents, a short query for whomever feels inclined to reply.
    Has anyone had/tested the original Audioquest Nighthawks? I do have a set myself, but i'll reserve my opinion for later. Im wondering whether to look further afield to perhaps a set of Audeze LCD(somethings)2's, X's or along those lines.

6. Bourke

Bourke Member

I was gonna buy them, found cheap in OZ too, but I never pulled the trigger....or even demo'd them
    Early release, they had some cable/driver issues, later on they got alot better/sounded a bit different too.

Some reviews were not great or "they are doing something different and I love / hate it"
    They fall into that sub $1000 bracket, which I don't deal in anymore.
    I'd jus say they are different, like HD700's or HD800's, aren't they bio-cellulose and suspended drivers, so mid's should be very realistic, if it works.

There's no "better" only different.....let us know your budget and it'll help to recommend something.

7. neRok

neRok Member

I'm looking to improve my portable headphones, because I'm currently using some average IEM's. I've got DT880 250ohm with appropriate amp as my desktop setup, which I like. So I'm wondering if I should just get a suitable portable amp, or maybe get some similar headphones such as the closed DT770 32ohm. Has anyone made this comparison? I've seen a lot of websites comparing 250 or 600ohm versions, but not 250 vs 32. I'm wondering if the DT770 32ohm might be too dissimilar?

Saying that though, the DT880 are dissimilar to the IEM's already :rolleyes:

8. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

What IEM?

The Beyers aren't super portable. IEMs are.

And 250 vs 32, be some differences but at this price point, not much. More just a driving difference. So don't worry about that.

9. ysojelly

ysojelly Member

Yeah there seemed to be a fair amount of heated discussion in regards to it. I for one, love my set, they provide an open feeling soundstage, similar to many akg cans, but less airy, so lows and mids dont loose their impact. They also seem to have a comfortable level of energy, good, tight through the whole frequency range. (Between a tube and a ss amp, i find the tubes put more life into the hawks than my Magni 3.

End game for me would probably be around the 2.5k mark, but im not sure what else would need improving in my chain. i guess i'd have to demo some of the audeze gear to justify to myself if its worth the upgrade..

10. neRok

neRok Member

Soundmagic E10's. At the time I was using DT440 and asked the bloke at Headphonics what he recommended similar for a good price, and that's what I was given. I don't mind the sound signature of them, but they need a fair bit of volume to really get going (a bit flat at low volumes), which I don't like.

I don't mind wearing cans on the train, and I prefer the voluminous sound they give, hence looking at DT770.

11. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

DT770 are decent. Beyer build quality is good.

You can get some really good IEMs for same money too. So I guess decide on what form you want and lock it in.

12. neRok

neRok Member

Have you got any IEM recommendations that have the right sound signature? Seeing as I only listen to metal, I've found a rather flat signature that certainly doesn't lack in bass to be what I want.