Headphone/Earphone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

I have a pair of Dragon Leather pads for the DT1770 if you want to try them too. All Beyers pretty much for all other. DT250 excepted.

2. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

All the pads are interchangeable on the modern DT770 to DT990 models. Both the 770 and 990 have a slight U shape FR and both have sufficient amount of low end and mid bass. The 600ohm premium editions when powered by a good voltage output headphone amplifier go down lower than there low Z counterparts.

The DT880 on the other hand is a more neutral sounding headphone of the 3, usually compared to the HD600 for neutrality, it is far from clinical sounding, that medal goes to the HD800's and Sony SA5000's.

3. Bourke

Bourke Member

Does anyone know if this is safe or not..??

I took out my Ananda cable (stereo, 2 ring-which is built cheap/nasty) HP end, grabbed my Elear cable (mono, 1 ring-better built) and plugged it into the Ananda.......
    It sounded better...not night and day but "I beileve a good cable sounds better" better......less ting ting and more together.
    Elear and hd 700 are mono plug and Dynamic driver, Ananda is planar.....

Q?..Will using a mono cable on a stereo plug damage the driver....If not then i'll buy a quality custom cable and share it between 2 HP's

4. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Nah shouldn’t as it means only that one channel will be utilized to play back sound. If its a proprietary plug then it’s a different story.

5. Bourke

Bourke Member

kool kool

It's odd, why the stereo plug, but there's a sound quality improvement for sure and buying one cable for 2 HP's is a bonus.
    I was thinking a +pos / - neg and GRD, opposed to +pos / GRD in the plug...the HFM cable is fair garbage

Spritzer has a JADE II, the amp is straight trash and dangerous, the is JADE HP is 3D printed and not glued or secured into the housing, like push fit....yeah, naaaahhh

6. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Yeh seen Birigirs reports on the Jade II already. It truely is an expensively priced crappy built trash and HFM still hasn’t grasped electrostats 101. Both me and another person had access to a demo pair, pulled apart and had a look at the build. HFM still haven’t learnt a thing since the first Jades.

7. Bourke

Bourke Member

What's best new pads for HD 600, bought a pair, idk why but yeah roached pads, I don't want to pad roll, jus fit new/best pair and that's it.

Would re-wiring the trace help at all, it's got a custom cardas cable, will prob pull apart, rebuild.

EDIT**************************

I bought cheap ass set (x2) of velour from China for $35, that'll do.

Also A2A has 20% off the Ebay store-Passionate-expires on 10/2/19
    Noteworthy points,

LCD-XC for $1520
    LCD-3 for $2050 (which is still expensive, but they are good)
    Focal Elear $800 (which I have on atm)
    Focal Utopia $3200 ....
    Yes, I bought something, and yes i'm now in a f#$king hole because of it, thanks A2A.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  8. neRok

neRok Member

My DT770's arrived, and the 3 times I've used them thus far, I can tell they sound good. However, I am finding the plastic housing is a bit thin and brittle, and I get a lot of what must be resonance from the environment. The sound is akin to holding a sea-shell to your ear. For example, the sound of the air wooshing from the train air-conditioner, or the bus engine idling, seem to amplify within the headphone and make a lot of loud background noise. Has anyone experienced this? I'm going to try stick something on the outside of the headphones to hopefully dampen the housings.

9. Bourke

Bourke Member

I looked them up, they studio model, so indoors and not outdoors.
    Could be earpad seal, if you wear glasses or not.

Wear them, and tap the cup with your finger-nail, if it's loud or offensive then there's ya problem.
    So you could disassemble and are to add weight to the inside of the cup and or add bulk cell foam and or use sticky tape to seal up any air gaps to the cup to add SPL to the sound coming out.

My DT1990's are metal housing and will resonate with big bass only, other wise they are darker tone.
    My T1's are light weight and look like plastic housing with metal mesh and they don't resonate at all will obscene bass.

Could also be a loose driver in housing given the cheaper price/model, QC could be an issue.
    And those velour earpads are not gonna be enclosed much at all, I have something to add on the earpads side when I get around to it.

10. neRok

neRok Member

Yer, this is the problem. I've just found a video that shows the tear-down is pretty easy and safe, so I might try sticking something on the inside.

I don't seem to be having a problem with the seal, with our without sunglasses. Perhaps I didn't spend enough time getting an accurate fit when I was trying the 80ohm model in store?! Or the pad material is making the difference. Or, the 80ohm was too much for my X3 to properly drive, and I didn't get a good fit with the 250ohms. Could be many things.

BTW, in the past I used DT440 on the bus/train for many years, and they were an even cheaper, open, plastic headphone - so I somewhat know what to expect regarding environment noise. I'm certainly not expecting complete isolation, but I don't think it's right/necessary to be having these environment noises droning over the top. These noises occur even with no music playing - thus I've concluded that it is definitely a problem with the housing or pads or similar.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  11. Bourke

Bourke Member

Click to view full size!

Left to right
    DT1990 pro A pad (i think)
    DT1990 pro B pad (i think)
    Beyer T1 pad
    Dekoni DT Hybrid Elite (i think)

I tried them all around, settled on A pad for DT1990 and the Dekoni Hybrid on the T1.
    Dekoni is too dark for the 1990, T1 is bright by nature, by adding over ear pad, the bass is crazeeeee fun, I feel asleep bassing away to it, long decay and so much fun, comfort is awesome too.
    The soundstage changed for the worse on same types of music, overall like for instrumental and rap, it's all good.

I'll try to order some ZMF pads in a month or so, would like something to try on the Ether's and HD600's

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  12. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

I said before. But I have a set of the dragon leather DT1770 pads laying around. The soft leather ones. Genuine.

Hit me up if want.

13. leck

leck Member

hmm looking around atm as it's time to retire my old ath-ad700 headphones. Any recommendations on similar open cans that are super comfortable like the ad700's ?

I bought a pair of ath-m40x to try some closed style but they aren't as comfortable. Good sound quality though.

14. Edward05

Edward05 Member

In the market for new Cans, I have owned Ad700X before there great but not the Beyer

What would have better soundstage for CSGO ? I play other games but the soundstage is important for CS

ATH AD700X/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Thanks

15. ex4n

ex4n Member

I'm also thinking of upgrading the same thing, had my ad700s for like 8 years or something, still nothing wrong them and still sounds good, but looking for something with a bit more bass, but still as comfy and great sounding overall.
    I'm looking at something like DT-1770 or DT-1990, maybe AKG K712 but they didn't seem as nice.
    edit: might then get a small DAC to take my AD700s to work.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  16. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

Anyone recommend some over ear headphones under $100? Going to dissect them so that I can put the drivers in my Shoei motorcycle helmet. They'll run via the Sena intercom 3.5mm jack.

17. Bourke

Bourke Member

Let's help 4 ppl in one post....it's go time

LECK....You make no sense, You like light weight, open ATH cans and bought Closed and like them but hate the comfort, so buy the same again or ATH900 since they will be similar in tone/construction.

If you want Closed and comfort, only thing comes to mind is LCD-2C, which are highly regarded for tone and LCD pads are comfort, if your ears don't get hot..or looking now at FINAL SONOROUS II closed $399
    But yeah some more details if you want gaming and or music.

EDWARD...You can DOLBY and 3D enhance any headphone really to help with soundstage, if for CS mostly, you need to find what frequencies you need for positioning best....i.e footsteps might be bassy, gunshots might be mids.

Try to find a graphic equalizer of some sort, theres one in WIN Media player but that's for music not gaming, move the sliders around to boost the frequencies that help.
    I'm pretty sure for CS you use the minimap alot then in other games....If you want UBER EARS, Stax has the best soundstage, so L300 or cheaper like 303/404, but comfort is small ears only....I've gamed on my Stax, it's no prob.

EX4N...You can always hop down Oxford st Leeder to A2A and try some stuff out, gives you more of an idea........ in order
    HD 650 - light weight, medium clamp, good allrounders, good soundstage, has potential for greatness if you spend $$$$ on better amp, tonally better then Beyer's, but Beyer's are more fun (presentation)
    AKG 712 -they use Beyer drivers(so simialr tone/bass), they are light wieght, loose fit, over time brittle plastic, minimal head clamp or warm ears/head, good all round.

DT-1770 -closed, lack micro details and can veil mids, some say they bass too much, could get warm ears long term, Beyer clamp is alot (not for big heads)
    DT-1990 -semi-open, same as above really, bass is plenty-enough to hurt you, the clamp does annoy me (wearing atm)

Focal Elear- my choice, loose fit, low-medium clamp, awesome for details, enough bass and soundstage, the drivers are almost floating(mounted forward of the cup) as to create a holo-soundstage, very easy to drive.
    Hifiman HE-560 V2 - haven't heard them, very flat FR so details might show easier, fairly cheap, some QC issues, good comfort.

MAGYAR- $100 = anything secondhand, why not sport earbuds or BT, or something with a headband, could use adapters to make the connections work, the helmet is a echo chamber so no need for high impedance, power hungry HP drivers.
    Could hang earbuds inside the helmet

ex4n likes this.
  18. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

Buying secondhand nowadays is incredibly frustrating as buying. Found some cheap Sennheiser HD202's, one moron won't even reply to my second message when I asked on what time I can have at look at the head phones. Second moron expects me to view head phones during the day thinking I'm some jobless person, after work hours is clearly not an option for her. So that's Facebook market place for you. Oh and only one question per message as most people are too incapable to answer more than one question at a time. I asked two.

As for ear buds, they don't work. My Shure 215s stick out too much. The povo ones that came with the HTCs and LG fall out when putting on the helmet. Or it's rare for them to stay snug.

I need something like the Sena speakers but better but cheaper than the Iasus x3s. I also wear earplugs.

firey4059 likes this.
  19. leck

leck Member

Appreciate the response - thank you!

I should have elaborated a little more however i thought there would be quite a few people who had moved up from ad700's so was just looking for a few basic suggestions to look at.

I bought a pair of ath-m40x on a whim at JB even though they were closed (vs open ad700). It's been a long time since i had a closed set of cans so thought i'd give them a go. The sound quality of them for music/games is very good for a $125 set of cans imo.

Long term i want to move back to a set of open backed circumaural headphones similar to the ad700s. I don't use speakers on my pc so tend to have them on quite a bit while working and listening to music/watching netflix etc hence the comfort being a big factor. It's nice still being able to hear whats going on in the room around you and also they don't act like a suction cup on the side of your face :).

I'll take a look/listen with the ATH900's and a friend recommended i take a look at the beyers (dt880 or similar from memory) and also the higher end sennheisers. Not shy to spend a little bit of money as i tend to keep them for a number of years.

thanks again

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  20. ex4n

ex4n Member

Thanks mate, I'm really tempted by the DT-1990 just for looks alone although I know they will sound great, however, I like my music loud and I've learned that open headphones mean that anyone else in the room can hear it clearly too, part of me just wants to buy both but I'm not made of money.
    I do have a bit of a big head, so I might need to try and find a pair to test whether than are too tight of a fit or not, will see what I can find locally to try/buy. Are you from Perth? I know headphonic used to have a nice little setup for auditioning headphones but I think they are completely online only now.