Headphone/Earphone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. ysojelly

ysojelly Member

I demo'd the mjolnir 2 the other week at addicted to audio in sydney. It was coupled with a Gungnir. Tested with Empyreons, lcd2c's and Nighthawks and HD650's. The Mjolnir had the lsst caps in (didnt get to try the tubes), was quite a nice experience, much more dynamic presentation than the Jotunheim, the more nuanced details seemed to pop out more where the jot seemed to keep it all a bit more 2d.

That being said, it seems the Mjolnir pre outs don't mute when Hp's are plugged in, which is a bit of a let down for me, so looking at other options. And in a similar vein, im not particularly a Schiit fan, just after effective products.

I'm interested in that Mjolnir if your keen to part with it MK

2. ysojelly

ysojelly Member

I love the LD for acoustic/piano and string heavy tracks. Presents quite warmly, so i find it really synergizes well with ambient type music (was outputting to my yammy HS7's). Also seemed to put a bit of sparkle when i was listening with my lcd2c's, but not to the point where it was fatiguing. Whereas my 2c's with the modi coud get tiresome after a while.

Overall, seems to really add a slight warm colouration.

3. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

How you find the Empys? Dope?

4. ysojelly

ysojelly Member

Comfort was next level. Much lighter than my 2c's, but lovely supple leather cups on them. Felt considerably more resolving than the 2c's, but not overly bright, as in, some people mistake resolution for sharp trebles, but this felt more resolving through the whole freq spectrum.

Overall, a very nice set of cans, but not 5k worth.

5. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Yeah, think because unique they are that price.

At $3k up against like LCD3 etc, probably about the right price?

ysojelly likes this.
  6. ysojelly

ysojelly Member

Pretty much this.

7. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Been diverted here from the DAC thread, despite the title having headphone/earphone. Curious, has anyone had any experience, and if so, if you could share a brief summary on a Topping MX3. Cheers :thumbup:

Edit: NM. Just ordered.

Edit: Cancelled, I'm so undecided, will push budget.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  8. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

ChinoPD You just after a DAC/Amp to sit on your desk and plug headphones into?

What headphones?

Actual real budget?

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  9. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

I'm not hardcore nor would I be considered an audiophile but since moving to the current set up below I've learnt to love it's clarity and detail, improvement from the usual gaming sound card set up anyway, that I'd like to stick to something similar. Definitely budget compared to a 4-figure systems out there.

Yeah. From PC (sig). currently have a TEAC AI-101DA and with it connected are:
    Audiotechnica ADH-MSR7
    TEAC LS-101
    OSD-PS88

I spend maybe 80% of the time on the headphones, 20% on the speakers/sub.

Budget around $300. There's only a limited number of options at the moment because of connectivity. I connect to my pc via optical, need 2 speaker wire/bannana connectors, a sub out, and a headphone 3.5mm connector (or larger). And options are even more limited since I'm not looking locally so half of the options in Amazon or OS aren't 240V compatible. Other viable options are over my budget and over-featured:
    http://audio.teac.com/product/ai-301da/
    https://nadelectronics.com/product/d-3020v2-hybrid-digital-amplifier/
    https://us.creative.com/p/sound-cards/sound-blaster-x7 (currently on special from their site)

10. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Yeah, well. With those requirements you're a bit limited!

11. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

I decided to "upgrade" my Logitech G430 to the G533.
    The G430's audio quality is superb, and the headset itself sits and functions well.
    I took up the G533 to go wireless. I was considering the Corsair VOID Pro (RGB), but I don't like some of its physical design such as the headband.

I've found the G533's audio quality is a step down from the G430, but not a lot, and can be tolerable. Having a wireless headset though feels like so much freedom. Audio felt flat against my ears on the 1st day, but on the 2nd I got used to it. Some YT reviews say the ear muffs are really bad, but I found it's not as bad as what they make it out to be... then again, depends on your skin sensitivity.

In both headsets, I don't use surround sound nor run on any special audio profiles.
    While I won't be packing away or getting rid of my G430 any time soon, I'll keep them as backup.

12. DivHunter

DivHunter Member

Colour me interested. Didn't you have a modded Dark Voice as well? What would you let that go for?

13. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Yes I still have my modded darkvoice 336se. Special amp that I haven’t let go yet. For the right price I just might.

14. Bourke

Bourke Member

Anyone buying a kidney, I have one, good mileage, non-smoker/drinker.

All I can say is a PAVANE will have to wait a while longer....and I still need to fix my Subaru

15. Bourke

Bourke Member

TIVOLI 20% everything....

I have no money so have to pass, annoying much.

16. Malakai

Malakai Member

Hey peeps, what's a good recommendation for earbuds to replace my old Yuin PK3?

17. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Ah man Yuin PK1, 2 and 3's were the shit back in the day, hard to beat.

18. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Yeah. More Yuins haha.

19. Cadbury

Cadbury Member

I'm looking for some bluetooth earphones, the kind with a cord between the two. What model would have the best sound quality under $100?

20. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

Is there really much difference between foam tips and the silicon tips for headphones? Foam tips are like $20+, where as silicon tips are usually under $5 (this is based off a quick eBay search)