Headphone/Earphone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Z1R hurt my jaw after a while, just sat wrong for my head shape. Sounded ok though.

2. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

is Snufkin no longer present on OCAU? I'm in need of a spare part for my DT250's, but Beyerdynamic US and EU are telling me I have to source my spares from an Australian source :(

3. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Syntec bud. Australian distributors, have all the Beyer and parts. Good to deal with. Google their website :p

Otherwise Minidisc or A2A can probably order then in too for you.

fleetfeather likes this.
  4. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

Cheers mate. So, I got in touch with Syntec...

Cost of part = $6.50'ish
    Shipping (from Sydney to Brisbane) = $16.50

What on earth? it's a 5mm thick plastic part, with a length and width no bigger than a credit card

5. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Ask nicely again for them to stick it in an envelope.

They have sent me $80 earpads before for free because I asked if they had any other options...

fleetfeather and Suopermanni like this.
  6. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

Had no luck. They told me the shipping cost is standard, and if I don't wanna pay the cost, I can try find stock elsewhere.

I did find stock locally in Brisbane, but alas, the cost is $16.50 for me to pick up. Cheaper than Syntec's price, but obviously inflated above cost price...

7. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Find an OCAU member to buy and send it to you.

8. anark1

anark1 Member

Best airport style headphones for the wife?
    I've found that sound have a nice pair and so do senheiser? Spelling...

But I've ran audio technica gear and loved it, so I'm leaning towards their model.
    ATH-CKR7TW

9. Skitz0

Skitz0 Member

Looking for a upgrade from my Denon D5000 which have served me well for 7 years. Looking to take it to the next level and noticed that Denon have picked up their game after the meh D7100 with the new D7200.
    I'm looking for something between $1000 and $2000.
    I'm currently running a Marantz HD-AMP1 for headphone and speaker duties.

Right now the contenders are the Denon D7200 and the Fostex Th900mk2.
    Any others I should be considering that have a closed design and less aggressive treble characteristics?

10. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Sony Z1R
    Aeon Closed / Ether C Flow (not bassy)

11. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

The tH900 is probably a suitable upgrade over the D5000. It’s been about 6-7 years since I’ve last heard a D5k, open back modded and ones with Lawton Audio mod + cups.

12. Skitz0

Skitz0 Member

I hadn't considered the Sonys, I'll definitely have a look at them.

Interesting that they converted them to a open back design, I would expect they lost a lot of bass response with that mod.

13. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Z1R is a decent option. Definitely try them if you can, and if you can try for a good amount of time.

14. Skitz0

Skitz0 Member

Very hard to find places to demo such high end cans. I am going to japan in March, already have a place in mind to do some listening. Not ideal conditions but better than nothing.

15. Bourke

Bourke Member

Japan prices aren't that great atm, AUD to JPY is bad, Japan is good if looking for rare or old stuff.
    Conversely aussie stock is pretty good, if can find similar as a DEMO, having local warranty is a bonus

https://crinacle.com/graphs/
    Came across this, it's FREQ graphs of IEM's, and they have alot of latest gear tested, like 2019 CANJAM products too.
    I checked a few things I was thinking about getting, turned out that one which is $650 and graph looking like a $3k one, so I picked well before even reading a stack of reviews, jus general chatter.

https://www.audiochocolate.com.au/all-products/headphones/personal-monitoring/raal-requisite-sr-1a/
    Found a aussie distro for RAAL headphones, I have no amp but the hardest bit is buying them first right..:shock::shock::shock:

https://www.headfonia.com/rosson-rad-o/2/
    RAD-0 ex-Audeze guy builds his own headphone, great idea, shame about the execution......2600 USD...677gm :Pirate::Pirate::Pirate:

Anyone know of HE-5 earpads with a bigger ear hole, factory is too small on me.

Black Friday sales should be soon...

16. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Dudes, my son is looking at upgrading his headset (currently G933) so what would you guys recommend as an upgrade from that level (mostly gaming, so he needs a mic)? Do we need a sound card, amp, DAC? Im sorry I dont know what the are needed for as usb just plugs in and works, so is the extra investment worth the gain?

Audio noob here so go easy on the replies.

Cheers

17. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

At ath dg1 the current models.

18. Dalork

Dalork Member

Almost anything would be an upgrade form the G933, could always go with a separate mic and then your free to use whichever headphones the user likes. I really dislike the clackity noisy G933's, they do have pretty RGB lights though lol. Mine stay hanging lonely being unloved.

As to the Audio Technica current range mentioned above : ATH-ADG1X (Open) or ATH-AG1X (closed back) both around 50 ohm, If they have to be wireless like the G933 then ATH-G1WL 45 ohm.. The models down from those would be the ATH-PDG1 (open) or ATH-PG1 (closed) both around 40 ohm in Audio Technica's gaming range.

19. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Beyer MMX300 MK2

Added bonus of being closed, so don't leak, and they are actually a good musical headphone (DT770).

20. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Well. Just ordered a pair of Elegia. $599 delivered, hard to pass up. Do the job as a decent closed back for when I need closed.