Headphone/Earphone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. neRok

neRok Member

Just thought I would give an update regarding my situation, because I think I found out why the DT770 32 ohms don't suit me personally. I think the problem is my biggish ears, which also stick out a bit. I think they must have been cupping/blocking the driver somewhat, affecting the air volume. I found through trial and error that if I positioned the pads so that they pinned the tips of my ears back, the bass was humongous (actually, too much for me!). This was not practical or comfortable though. I think this explains why I have no issue with other Beyerdynamic open style headphones.

They did break in somewhat, and the wooshing/resonance problem was reduced. Most of the time it was okay, but it seemed to get worse as the volume of my surrounding environment increased, which was predominantly me sitting on the train. The wind however was always an issue, as it would blow into the little vent hole and make all sorts of noise. It was tough to listen to them in such conditions.

Otherwise, I always found the bass was present, but lacking. I tried them on my desktop amp, and there was little difference. I do like the mids, treble, and sound stage though, which all have that similar signature to my DT880's.

So I ended up giving them away for xmas. My niece had used them a few times at my house, and commented how much better they sounded compared to her current headphones, which were a basic model of a reputable company (Shure I think - was years ago I purchased them for her). So whilst she isn't the best critic, it did help reinforce my answer to my problems.

So I'm on the hunt for some new headphones. I have patience, so I will keep watching various classifieds for a good used bargain. I wouldn't mind stepping up into the higher level Beyer's, but I've also got my eye on the various models of the AKG K7** series. I'm also contemplating upgrading my X3 to something that can comfortably run 250ohms headphones. That would open up my options.

Saying that though, I did just place an order for some Massdrop HIFIMAN HE4XX Planar Magnetic Headphones, because they were on special, and I got a sign-up coupon, so it seemed like a good deal, and I'm keen to try them out.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  2. Bourke

Bourke Member

You need cans for travel as well right.??
    All time fav is still DT1990 pro, they get better with a better source, head clamp is nearly annoying but after a stretch they jus right.
    I'll bet you find HE-400 not good, I think the earpad hole is too small, my HE-5se is too small period, have to pad swap jus to use them, sound wise they are alright.
    AKG use BEYER drivers but the assembly is lighter and more useful clamp/weight wise...pretty sure they leak like a sieve.

3. neRok

neRok Member

I only use these particular headphones for getting to/from work.

The rest of your post is good info :thumbup: I'll report back when the HE-400 arrive.

4. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Which AKG headphone?

5. Bourke

Bourke Member

Pretty sure K712pro, 75 or 80ohm, tonality is pretty close to DT's.
    So they take a quality driver and drop it into a brittle plastic assembly to get the price competitive.

6. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

AKG make and tune there drivers in house for all there headphones. The K712 Pro share the same capsule drivers as the older Anniversary editions and the 702. Only difference is pads and tuning process.

There is no affiliation between the two companies as no high end companies out there share the same drivers for headphones or earphones. Rebrands and rebadge is a different story.

7. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Massdrop did just buy the rights to the PM1, PM2 and PM3 Oppo drivers :p

Sitting here with the Sony Z1R on my nogging.

I think the NFB11.28 isn't a great pairing for them, but still sound alright.

They pay like 1800-2000 USD/GBP for these things overseas. No way in hell they worth that money.

8. Bourke

Bourke Member

yeah, quick google from Head-fi says sames, i prob reckon coz the cable is 3 pin mini-xlr, which most don't do but BEYER, oh and I think the ear pads can exchange too.
    No one died, I still reckon they fly real well for a mid-range can, the plastic bits and headband have reports of weak and breakage..certainly no DT tank construction.

PM1 drivers would be a coup.
    You should re-write that to "BENNO wouldn't pay that"..>_O
    Some have, I still dare you to hate them, maybe a bit boomy or a reflection issue, but I see no reason to hate them, no perfect nope, but damn enjoyable/comfortable

9. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

I didn't say they ain't good. I said at 3000+ AUD they aren't worth it :p

Likely to pick up a Fiio M11 Pro sometime soon, see how they sound out of that.

Just A/B Spotify (320kbs) and Tidal (Lossless/Master) on a few things. Really isn't much in it at all Z1R from 11.28. Might be more apparent another step up in gear. Still mostly comes down to the production itself.

10. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

11. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

To which part?

12. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Massdrop buying out Oppo pm1/2/3 manufacture licenses/rights and they sell/go for $2000+ ?

They were never that expensive when sold under Oppo?

13. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

You mixing up two things.

Sony Z1R is 2k. Unrelated.

Drop bought the oppo driver tech. Have stuck the PM3 into a BT (non and) model called it the Panda. Be 700 AUD or something

14. nope

nope Member

Big +1 for the 1more Triples where on sale for like 70 bucks

15. tasker

tasker Member

I need some headphone recommendations, I am running a 3700x with an MSI x570 a pro board. Want something that is clear and good drivers. I bought some SS Arctis 3's.. Not very happy with them so will return them. (got a good deal so thought I'd try.. now not so good haha) I'm looking around the $250 AUD Mark. Any suggestions?

16. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Headphones or headset?

17. tasker

tasker Member

Sorry headset. I’m thinking the sennheiser GSP550 looks good and from reviews the quality is great but the equaliser app isn’t crash hot. Any recommendations?

edit: after reading many many reviews it seems that Sennheise has really dropped the ball on headsets. So many people returning them.

now I’m really confused!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  18. ska'

ska' Member

Just buy some AD700x and get a USB desktop microphone.

FerrisXB9R likes this.
  19. dexx

dexx Member

Sorry if its been asked before: What fully enclosed headphones (dont care if open or closed back) under $100 are best in terms of sound quality, comfort, and robustness?
    I dont have a particular taste in music, but i like a good sound stage with lots of detail. I know, at this price point, that there wont be much to choose from.

20. connico

connico Member

M50x if you can find them on sale on eBay. No nonsense soundstage, well built and reputable. Cheap if found at discount