1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Headphone/Earphone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. ska'

ska' Member

Audio Technica R70x is a good option if you don't have a headphone amp.

Massdrop HD58x or HD600 are a good bet as well.

2. lawrencep93

lawrencep93 Member

So I got the Samsung s20 and need some wireless waterproof headphones. I was using Audio-technical LS70-IS but noticed I pretty much killed the inline mic from sweat so I think if I go wireless best to get something waterproof. Looking for something that has good bass/bass-heavy for working out.

$100-150 range is good for me

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  3. AmB

AmB Member

Has anyone here tried wearing Soundmagic E10 under a motorcycle helmet?

4. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Not that scenario but i use them on the commute between workplaces which is sometimes a very noisy boat especially if i am sitting outside. Works quite well, you will still hear outside (maybe you are after that being on a road and all) but they block noise rather well and are bloody exceptional sound for the price.

I don't know, if you spend enough wireless can sound damn good. My VMODA wireless sound better than my old ATH M50x wired.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  5. twisar

twisar Member

The other I was sitting there thinking 'why can i smell smoke?'.. I looked around, no smoke. the missus wandered in and said 'wait, i can smell something burning'. we looked around. nothing. Then a minute later I realised it was me burning. Or, more precisely, my wireless headset. I later figured out that just before plugging it in for a recharge i had dragged the cable across a coffee cup and the end had dipped briefly into the dregs. Then, upon attaching to my headphones, it slowly began to short out and burn the power inlet, whilst still on my head. There is now a nasty weird hole in my expensive 6month old wireless gaming headset and it wont recharge.

Long story short, I need something new, and decent.

So I'm gonna go wired open, something like a sennheiser or audio-technica or beyer dynamic. I dont talk much in games these days, my raiding days are over, i can use an external mic if needed.

Upon researching I am bombarded by a deluge of if/whens/or and so on.

Finally, my question.

A lot of decent phones suggest getting an external amp. I have a old but powerful Onkyo TX-SV646 amp that is not being used. Would that work fine without spending a couple of hundred bucks on a specific headphone amp? I'd rather spend that on just the headphones. I dont really care that much about amazzzzinggg surround sound. I'm more interested in audio quality.

I'm more of a metal listener than Smooth Jazz, are there any specific brands/models best suited to shrivelling my remaining hearing than others. my budget is 300ish and upward, i can always be upsold if its worth it.

sorry for the length of the post

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  6. connico

connico Member

You need an IP rated headset with heavy base... something like JBL Airsport or Beats PowerBeats Pro. Something with an IP or IPX4 should do.

V-MODA Crossfade M-100 should do the job for metal and rock. Loud, wide sound stage and plenty of punch. AMP not required but would be good to get additional ophmm

twisar, Nethiuz and lawrencep93 like this.
  7. lawrencep93

lawrencep93 Member

Did you mean JLab Audio JBuds Air Sport ?

8. connico

connico Member

Yep. Must of had JBL on the brain lol

lawrencep93 likes this.
  9. melbnut

melbnut Member

heya has anyone used their bose 700 as a gaming headset? I don't want to buy more but have these expensive noise cancelling things that I cant even use cause we aren't flying.

10. connico

connico Member

No issues with gaming, the sound is very neutral. Tried to get DTX and Atmos working on it, had issues.

11. lawrencep93

lawrencep93 Member

I actually found the Jabra Elite Active 75T are on sale on qantas store and it doesn't look like I am flying anytime soon, are these better over the Air Sport?

12. connico

connico Member

Dont know but the IP rating is IP57 which is quite good, sweet will be an issue but its waterproof to 1m as per the rating which means they can be washed

13. p3t0r

p3t0r Member

Anyone have the SteelSeries Arctis 7 or pro wireless? Do you rate them ? What headphone did you come from?

sanjeevlives likes this.
  14. garetz

garetz Member

Ive been using an Audio-GD 15.32 TCXO for about 8 years now, and its on its last legs, any recommendations on what to replace it with, need to be able to connect to a 2.0 system as well as amp Focal Elear headphones. Budget $500

Also my Fiio e17k suffered from the dreaded freeze screen meaning its dead, so a portable amp would be good too, but i only used it with a 7th gen ipod. These days not many ipod portable amps around. Budget $150 -200 pref

15. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

I see you posted in both threads.

As per other thread, Audio-GD and Schiit Jotunheim are warmer SS options that would be similar to what you have. Most other SS amps are quite nuetral/nuetral bright in general.

Fiio BTR5 is a dongle that gives good power out of Balanced, and pairs BT LDAC to your phone for the tunes.

ELSE. And hear me out.

iFi Micro Black Label. Its warm, like the Audio-GD, its powerful, feature packed and *transportable*, not pocket size, but still small and big battery. Chargers your phone too.

16. garetz

garetz Member

thx for the info benno, i was leaning towards the ifi micro black label, i have a 15% off discount on it bring it down to $722.46
    Otherwise i was considering a Audio-gd NFB-11.38 Performance Edition.
    The jotunheim is outside my budget, but i will keep it in mind if i find a 2nd hand one.

17. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

The Jot come up used for under $500, just be patient

18. connico

connico Member

I have a pair of steelseries v3 prism at one time of my life... never again...

For gaming I use either a ATH-PG1 or a ATH-AD900 with the boom microphone attachment

p3t0r likes this.
  19. p3t0r

p3t0r Member

Thanks - I think I'll stick with my trusty wired combo for now!

20. connico

connico Member

If you want wireless i'd use the ATH-G1WL. Just wait till you see a decent discount

p3t0r likes this.