Headphone/Earphone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. micsway123

micsway123 Member

thanks, I read the low end is lacking in these but I guess that's not what i'm after here, also not a fan of that ivory colour, 560s it seems, i'm generally a fan of Sennheiser so tempted to stick with them over anything else.

2. h2oxide

h2oxide Member

On paper it's bass extends further than the HD 6 series; their FR is also impressive and balanced considering the price you're paying. Take a look at crinacle's mini-review and measurements (I'm sure there's a tonne of other measurements online).

When I'm looking at headphone reviews, I tend to look for ones which include measurements as I switch off if/when the reviewer starts describing what the headphones sound like to them without any reference. It's incredibly subjective as everyone's anatomy is different, and there's also a lot of snake-oil and hype (perpetuated by placebo) in the industry. Try to stick with measurements as they're objective, or better yet, listen to them (if possible) yourself before buying.

EDIT: Bonus points for people who buy different DACs as they “colour the sound” differently.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    micsway123 likes this.
  3. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Measurements are just as misleading.

1. Only a few people have measurement rigs worth relying on
    2. They often compensate them to a curve they often also don't tell you
    3. Gives no indication on performance, merely on tonal balance

If you can't listen to them personally. Try find some sort of review or discussion where somewhere compares them to something you have heard. Which for you would be hard, if you haven't heard anything else really.

I'd personally just save for longer and get a decent pair. Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser HD660S, Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro (sssssssuper), MrSpeakers Aeon. Something along those $500-600 line.

micsway123 likes this.
  4. h2oxide

h2oxide Member

Most noteworthy reviewers will mention if they’re compensated, and also sticking with 1 reviewers’ measurements helps when comparing headphones against each other; the waters are muddied if comparing FR graphs measured by two different rigs.

I do agree with listening to headphones for a reference point.

EDIT: There's nothing inherently wrong with the 560 S, especially when compared to the provided alternatives; just because it costs less, doesn't make it a worse headphone. For instance, I would much prefer it to the DT1990 Pro and the Aeon. It just goes to show how personal tastes are, and that spending more may not necessarily equate to something you enjoy/prefer.

EDIT 2: micsway123 another thing to note about headphones in particular is how easy/receptive they are to EQ to target curves - Harman being the most popular one.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    micsway123 likes this.
  5. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Yeah. I think the only one I like at the moment is Resolve. He seems most logical.

A lot of the popular ones seem a bit hype trainy / paid. Do tend to just use my own ears though, as costly as that has been (no headphone stores in Brisbane).

h2oxide likes this.
  6. ska'

ska' Member

Looking for recommendations for a dac/amp.

Currently running a JDS Atom DAC/AMP buy looking for something a step or 2 up.

Current headphones, HD6xx, R70x, K702.

7. h2oxide

h2oxide Member

Step up in what? The amp can power all of your headphones with ease (and does so with an incredibly low distortion and noise), and the DAC distortion is far below what we can hear.

Are you after a heavier/machined case?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  8. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Class A baby.

Maybe try a Questlye CMA400i. Lovely lovely amp stage and decent inbuilt DAC.

Or a Modius to Jotunheim 2 stack.

These measurement chasing opamp based amps can suck my big toe. Yet to hear one that doesn't suck a bit of life out of the music.

ska' likes this.
  9. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Most decent DACs sound mostly the same, especially on lower end gear. Mostly, kinda.

Amps don't though. Don't skimp on Amp stage

Set a budget firstly.

10. spankyofoz

spankyofoz Member

I'm after a set of headphones:
    Closed
    Over ear
    Focus on detail and clarity over excessive v-curve tuning (bumped up bass and treble)
    Non fatiguing to listen to
    Good comfort, no sweaty ear syndrome

Budget is up to $250

Will be driven by Beresford Caiman MKII DAC/amp

Prefer to buy locally in Perth

11. h2oxide

h2oxide Member

Look into these or these to see if they're something you'd like; both local stores.

spankyofoz likes this.
  12. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Tough budget for a closed back.

The DT770 is ok. Has a bit of a V going on, but build is good. And velour pads usually not as hot as the fake leather.

AKG have two harman curve tuned closed backs for cheap, might be worth a shot.

spankyofoz likes this.
  13. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

If closed is a must. And you're after a high end sort of sound, you can snag a few options at around $400 if you're patient. Used, but usually mint.

MrSpeakers Aeon (the original model)
    Sony Z7M2
    Focal Elegia

All of those sell new for around 600 fairly ofte, thought the sony shot up recently to its RRP. But their used prices have been known to come into the 300-500 range. All three worlds above anything else mentioned. That would be my picks. Sony likely the most easily agreeable chill sound, Elegia the punchiest, Aeon the comfy all around.

14. micsway123

micsway123 Member

so I got my Fidelio X2HR and I'm quite happy with the sound signature. Comfort on the other hand is not what I expected considering the reviews there were mostly positive. find them quite tight on the ears and 30min in, I find myself adjusting them constantly. bit disappointing. I've tried stretching them out overnight with some books which didn't do much. wondering if I should just ride it out hope they soften up or try another pair (e.g. 560S)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  15. h2oxide

h2oxide Member

Pretty common with new headphones, they'll loosen up over time. If you really can't stand it, leave it on something wider than your head for more than 1 night at a time.

16. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

The clamp pressure?

Just bend the headband.

micsway123 likes this.
  17. spankyofoz

spankyofoz Member

Cheers for the advice guys. I went shopping, auditioned a heap, completely blew the budget and ended up with a set of Final Sonorous III.

Loving the comfort, detail and soundstage

18. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Haha. That's the true audiophile way.

Final make some good gear! I had the D8000 Pro for a while, as good as a headphone can be surely.

Enjoy!

spankyofoz likes this.
  19. ska'

ska' Member

Ended up ordering a Topping Dx7 Pro.

I also purchased some Tannoy Gold 5's studio monitors which necessitated the move to balanced.

20. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

I had one of those for a while. Solid little thing. Enjoy!