1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Headphone/Earphone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. riccoo

riccoo Member

looking at the Beyerdynamic DT990Pro Headphone whats everyones thoughts? im a FPS gamer. will be using a zoom uac 2

2. h2oxide

h2oxide Member

Absolutely fine for gaming.

3. riccoo

riccoo Member

they got good bass and lows and mids or ?

4. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

They're big, comfortable, sturdy, and they sound pretty good. Completely open, of course, so they'll leak sound both in and out.
    The sound is generally pretty balanced with a slight emphasis to the treble. Not super bassy, just neutral, which might sound a bit weak depending on what you're used to.

They're a good contender at their price point.

5. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Just ordered Dekoni Blue headphones and Schiit Magni Heresy and a Modi.

First foray into decent gear… From review they sound like they have a pretty exciting sound that likes being driven fairly hard.

I listen to all sorts of music but generally bass heavy genres and I don’t like piercing noises. I *think * they should suit me. Have I made any extreme mistakes with the purchase?

6. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Hard to know. Probably enjoy them. Modi is fine, Heresy is clean/neutral. All comes down to personal preference on the headphones.

7. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Yep - there’s no much opportunity to audition much these days. (Did get an offer to test some Beyers which probably would be better but something irrationally super appealing about the blues…)
    So kinda going blind but all the reviews on it seemed to be fairly around the same conclusion which sounds like something I’d enjoy.

I found a Rose Voix Muse headphone amp in a drawer that probably would have worked too but I couldn’t find any specs on it any more. The only mentions of it on google seem to be OCAU somehow.

8. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

The Fostex little Planars need good power and headroom to sound best, they are a harder to driver unit. So anything laying around may push them loud, but may not sound the way they should.

9. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Yep - which is why I got the Schiit one as well so I didn’t have to faff around with finding out the Muse wasn’t suitable. I remember it powering some bookshelf speaks fairly happily back in the day though.

10. Lord Belial

Lord Belial Member

Any recommendations for wired canalphones in the <$300 range? I have previously been a Shure devotee (SE215, SE425 and most recently SE535) but I have a weird issue with the 535s exacerbating my tinnitus. The 425 and 215 don't but have sadly died (425 casings split, 215 not sure).

It's a pity because, to me, the 535s redefined how good sound quality could be.

11. h2oxide

h2oxide Member

Etymotic ER4SR/XR

Last edited: May 30, 2021
  12. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Dunu DK2001 or like a Sony M7 used

13. spankyofoz

spankyofoz Member

Talk me out of buying a pair of HiFiMan HE-400se.

I hear the cable is rubbish, but anything else that should put me off?

14. spankyofoz

spankyofoz Member

Saved by them not being in stock.

So I spent an extra $100 on the 400s instead, d'oh!

Benno1988 likes this.
  15. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

What running them off?

16. spankyofoz

spankyofoz Member

Beresford Caiman mkII

17. c4dderly

c4dderly Member

Joined the world of portable dacs today and also got a new set of cans for music. My first foray into open cans, what an eye opener... no pun intended ;)
    iFi micro iDSD Signature
    Sennheiser HD 800s

Wanted to try this dac with gaming... I have an AE-5 soundcard but I assume no passthrough so just going direct USB to PC would be best?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    spankyofoz likes this.
  18. h2oxide

h2oxide Member

Yup, that’s perfectly fine. Seriously good open back headphones, especially for your first pair.

You’re probably going to get people telling you that your DAC/headphone amp aren’t “good” enough to pair with those headphones. So long as you’re able to drive the headphones at comfortable listening levels, what you have is perfectly fine.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    c4dderly likes this.
  19. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

I'd argue it's probably a really good pairing. Has the xBass switch to give the HD800S the low end bump they need !

I have a Signature with me too, decent bit of kit. Enjoy!

20. c4dderly

c4dderly Member

Thanks, played BFV with this combo... damn what a difference in sound, the planes strafing past sound awesome.
    Yes the DAC is at 40% at my listening levels with music, I auditioned the higher model "diablo" dac which was more reference level but I preferred the features of this such as Xbass, IEMatch and RCA outs.

Exactly my thinking, any tips on charging to extend battery life when using as a desktop dac (about 70% of use)?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021