1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Headphone/Earphone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Just unplug its power now and then and use it until it drains. Normal battery stuff.

c4dderly likes this.
  2. Pr3dator8

Pr3dator8 Member

After some open back headphones for gaming. Purely FPS. I really like the look of the AKG k712 pros but the headphones alone are pushing my budget let alone a decent amp dac on top.

I have an audio engine d1 or this.https://www.skycomp.com.au/creative...rCF8o1L7_nSiGX7ZIrPd8BWJD5GHAp6xoCbpMQAvD_BwE

Otherwise open to suggestions for a headphone dac/amp combo within my budget (not sure how realistic that is though)

budget 4-500.

3. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Purely FPS. Basically just means you want a wide soundstage and good imaging.

The ol Audio Technica AD700 or AD900 did well there.

Definitely no music of movies etc?

Pr3dator8 likes this.
  4. spankyofoz

spankyofoz Member

Lots of DAC options about $200-250
    - Schiit Fulla 3
    - FiiO K5 Pro
    - FiiO Q1ii
    - Topping L30

Then add the cans of your choice.

Pr3dator8 likes this.
  5. Pr3dator8

Pr3dator8 Member

Yeh i dont use my computer for music or movies. Ive owned the AD700's and loved the sound just wasnt a fan of the wing clamp thingos

6. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Yeah, they were odd.

When looking at reviews focus on soundstage width and imaging. Those are the traits you want.

Senny HD560S
    Philips Fidelio X2

Things like that.

Pr3dator8 likes this.
  7. Pr3dator8

Pr3dator8 Member

i do like the idea of the Fidelio's and using the vmoda boom mic cable.

Really appreciate your advice :)

8. Zee

Zee Member

Dearest brain trust!

I'm looking for suggestions fo a set of BT earphones to use for exercise. I was using Sennheiser CX-Sports, but one side has stopped working, and apparently, taking them apart means breaking them.

Looking at Jaybird X4 or Tarah Pro, but wondering if Audio Technica BT earphones are up to scratch? Budget is about $150, but can stretch for the right ones. Ideally, looking for 8hrs + battery life, and the mythical snug fit that doesn't slip out when you are half way through a 30km bike ride or 6km run in 30 degree heat. Hoping for IP7 rating, as I run rain or shine, and my earphones always seem to end up soaked.

The best fitting earphones I've ever had were Etymotics E6i (sadly, they don't make BT earphones), and hopefully I can find similar triple mushroom tips for whatever I get, so ear tips and wings must be discrete parts, not one part.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Z...

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  9. Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

I have the Jaybird Vista's which you can usually nab for around $200. From what I'm told by others and reviews in general things like the Jabra Elite range probably have better sound quality plus microphone capability. For me though the Vista's are incredibly light, they fit snugly in the ear and have a hook that goes into the cartilage above the canal, are waterproof and still sound plenty good to me. I run intervals, in the heat covered in sweat, in the rain, I forget they are in there and never feel like coming loose.

Zee likes this.
  10. Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

Anyone got any advice on a budget set of BT headphones to use with my TV (Sony X80 series), either via integrated BT or a dongle. Don't need anything fancy just something to occasionally watch TV or a movie if everyone else is in bed :) and doesn't lag.

11. Zee

Zee Member

I have a pair - forgot the brand though, let me find the brand/model number and I'll update this post. I *think* they are Sennheiser BT400 or something like that. About 20h battery life, and sound reasonably good, all things considered. I use them for watching Netflix and also a bit of gaming.

Edit - Sennheiser HD 4.40BT is the model I have. I think they are discontinued, but seems Bing Lee have a similar model (HD 350BT) for about $200. Not sure if that fits in to the "budget" segment, though. I seme to remember getting mine for a fairly cheap price (like $130) do to some sort of fluke combination of sale and run out specials.

As a kind of bonus, it also comes with a 3.5mm cable, so you can still used it wired if BT dies and you want to keep going, and have that option.

Z...

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  12. Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

Can still get the 4.40BT on Amazon for $220ish. BT350 are on sale $139. Will do some researching :), Thanks.

13. peetah

peetah Member

Hi everyone, after some recommendations on a headset primarily to be used for fps gaming and voice chat but wouldn't mind dipping my toe into the low end audio enthusiast market at the same time for when I do decide to listen to some music while working.

The key criteria for me though is comfort. My ears tend to burn up quite quickly when using headphones so thinking maybe a set of Open Back headphones would solve that problem. I've heard good things about the BeyerDynamic DT990 Edition (not PRO in the name of comfort) so originally was considering those paired with a wireless modmic and either a fiio or schiit dac/amp but figured I'd check in for any other suggestions/thoughts. Budget wise I've set aside about $500 for the headphones and amp/dac but would happily up this if the jump is worthwhile. What I'd really like is a set of wireless Open Back headphones to game with but I don't think they exist outside of the HiFiman Devas.

Over ear headphone history wise:
    Audio Technica M50 w/ upgraded velour pads - Haven't touched these in a while
    Bose QC35 - Still use these for work meetings. Super comfy but the heat gets to me after a while.
    Sony WH-1000XM3 (sold) - These got very warm for me and some areas made contact with my ears.
    Corsair HS70 - Currently use for gaming but the pads are starting to flake so upgrade time. They also get warm and make contact with my dumbo sized ears.
    I had a set of Kingston HyperX Cloud somethings which were nice and comfy but ended up giving them away. Don't recall if I had an issue with warm ears with them or not.

Of the 3 sets I currently have all result in pretty bad ear burn quite quickly, usually within 45 minutes I'll have to run a cup off to help cool that ear down then periodically swap.

14. akqrate

akqrate Member

Sennheiser HD560S, you’ll be surprised by its imaging, extension and soundstaging capabilities. The DT990 is more “fun” sounding with elevated treble and mid bass. Source: I’ve got both currently.

If you chuck in an amp and dac into the mix the HiFiMan Sundara make for a delightful pair of gaming cans.

h2oxide likes this.
  15. MR_PEA

MR_PEA Member

get a set of open back headphones.. there will be a noticable drop in bass, however you wont get the ear heating issue.. im currently swaping between my MT-50s and ATH-AD500s for gaming.. and threw on a mod mic for voice chat..

16. peetah

peetah Member

Which do you think is more comfortable? I must have pretty big ears cause headphones like the XM3s I could always feel the pads on my ears but no other reviewers seemed to have this issue. Side by side the HD560s look like they might be a better fit with their larger oval shape but I'm seeing a little "hump" inside the cavity? What sort of dac/amp would you recommend and did you grab the DT990 Pros or Editions? 250Ohm? Sorry for the flurry of questions.

Yeah sounds like open is definitely the way to go. Does the modmic pickup much feedback/game noise from the headphones themselves?

17. MR_PEA

MR_PEA Member

Not that people have said... However get the mic amp for it as my on board mic input is quiet as F.

18. peetah

peetah Member

That's good news regarding the lack of feedback. Was thinking I might go wireless for the mic though why pay extra if I'm running a cable already. Or the USB model.

19. akqrate

akqrate Member

The DT990 is less clampy and has softer cushioned pads. But the round design of the pad means it’s got less room for large ears.

20. peetah

peetah Member

Thanks for the feedback. Thinking maybe the Sennys would be the safer bet given the pad/cup size/shape though I do personally prefer the look of the Beyer Dynamics. What dac+amp do would you suggest to pair with either of these? I see the HD6XX mentioned a lot is that worth considering? How about https://www.minidisc.com.au/beyerdynamic-tygr-300-r-gaming-headphones? The deeper down the rabbit hole I go the more confused I get :(