Headphone/Earphone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. akqrate

akqrate Member

The Tygr are pretty good and don’t need an amp. They’re more fun sounding again compared to the Sennheiser. The Sennheiser hd560s technically don’t need a dac/amp, something modest like an IFi hip dac should do the trick.

2. micsway123

micsway123 Member

3. peetah

peetah Member

Thanks micsway123. I haven't heard much about them but will definitely add them to the shortlist based on the comments on ozb.

4. micsway123

micsway123 Member

5. peetah

peetah Member

thanks micsway123 - bit the bullet and purchased!

micsway123 likes this.
  6. WallySimmonds

WallySimmonds Member

Well, after 9 years my Ultrasone 900 pros right side has given out and I'm in the market for some new headphones. Now, the Ultrasone's were closed back, and are known for their heavy bass - and you either love or hate slogic. I'd happily go for another in their range but Edition 8's are way too expensive so I'm looking at what else I can get.
    Basically looking for something that will suit me for 80% gaming and the remaining listening to spotify. I like Industrial rock and a bit of late 90's/early 2000's electronica but really I'm after something similar to what I had but open and more comfortable.

I've got a Schiit stack which I haven't been using, as well as a Asus Xonar.

To give you an idea of what I am looking at (and bearing in mind testing them is pretty much impossible in lockdown):
    Sennheiser 660s and 560s (actually ordered the 560s from ATA @$250 but they don't know when they're getting stock back in)
    AKG 712 pro (and 612/702's)
    Fidelio X2HR's
    Hifiman Sundara/HE400SE/i
    Can also look at getting the 58x and 6xx from drop but I don't know if I cbf'd waiting (and local stores will have better returns policy).
    I mostly play single player RPG's/grand strategy so positional audio isn't the most important (although I will be playing the next Battlefield when it comes out).
    What does the overclockers brains trust say? Budget is up to 550, but I'd prefer to keep it around mid 300's. I'd actually spend more if I thought it'd be worthwhile but I find with many things diminishing returns really kicks in and it's worth bearing in mind my ears are shot from weeks of newborn crying :p

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
  7. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

I have a preference for the AKG K712 Pro but that's cause I own and use them and for me were the ones I settled on.

Their soundstage is just so open and wide that for games it's so much more immersive. They don't have thumping bass like the old Ultrasones (if I'm remembering them correctly, been years since I heard a pair) but they're really pleasantly tuned imo. They're not directly flat, much warmer tones but it makes them easier to listen to for longer sessions imo.

8. theasianbuffguy

theasianbuffguy Member

Hey guys, audio noob here. I'm about to get the dt990 pro 250ohms and needed some advice on a amp/dac solution. After having a look around I have the schiit modi and magni combo in my mind, do you guys have any other suggestions? Also a reliable AU retailer that can supply them if possible.

Thanks

9. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

The only Australian retailer of Schiit gear is Addicted To Audio.

Americans are going to recommend Schiit and JDS because they're cheap in America, but that's a lot less true for us.

I'd be looking at FiiO or Topping gear, their prices are less crazy for us. FiiO K5 Pro might fit the bill?

EDIT: Looks like I'm out of the loop, not easy to find at the moment...

10. h2oxide

h2oxide Member

Yes, however directly from them is still quite a bit cheaper than buying through A2A.

11. spankyofoz

spankyofoz Member

You might want to check with Schiit, they might not ship direct to countries where they already have distributors in place.

12. h2oxide

h2oxide Member

Ordered through Schiit 3-4 times, the most recent time being months ago.

spankyofoz likes this.
  13. spankyofoz

spankyofoz Member

Surprising, but good to know.

14. h2oxide

h2oxide Member

Eh, Schiit have never done business that way; they've always sold direct to the consumer. They established distributors to handle support/warranty (without closing the direct sale channel) to provide more options.
    How we do it
    Ordering
    Places

Think the audio equivalent of YT or Canyon.

15. micsway123

micsway123 Member

16. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

What cans you running at the moment H2?

17. h2oxide

h2oxide Member

Nothing special mate. The constant end-game questing in both hifi and headfi wore off long ago and I've simplified both setups signifcantly over the last 6 years; just a pair of HD 660S now.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  18. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

is there a way to prove that headphones aren't outputting sound (besides showing a video of them)??
    bought a pair, and no sounds is coming out and the company wants me to send them proof ?!

19. h2oxide

h2oxide Member

I'd like to think the onus is on them to tell you how they want proof considering they're asking for said proof.

20. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

you would think that... but unfortunately, the first step in their warranty process is to show them how its not working. Think i'll have to record the headphones not working (what a stupid process)