Headphone/Earphone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. h2oxide

h2oxide Member

Yeah, sounds like a cruddy process. Mind naming who we're talking about here?

2. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

Company is called MPOW (originally bought the kids a couple of pairs of headphones for remote schooling).

h2oxide likes this.
  3. h2oxide

h2oxide Member

I guess it’s a good thing I’ve never heard of them. GL with the process; hopefully they honour a return/refund.

4. die_piggy

die_piggy Member

Just send them a photo with the headphones and a circle and cross through them to show no audio? ;)

5. WZRD

WZRD Member

I'm currently running a Schiit stack and it works great but a bit more expensive.

Another alternative is the iFi Zen Dac/Amp combo - https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/products/ifi-audio-zen-dac-v2-headphone-amplifier-dac

6. Zee

Zee Member

Don't suppose anyone has tried the Cambridge Audio Melomania 1+ or Touch?

I've got a pair of Jaybird X4's currently which I use for exercising, but they are a bit of a PITA for calls and just to game in bed at night whilst the Mrs sleeps. Looking for something with good audio quality, reasonable for voice calls, which I can use for calls, gaming, and watching movies on flights (once that starts up again...), and form what I've seen the Touch or 1+ may fit the bill, especially as the audio quality seems rather good for the money with both models.

I'm an Apple eco-system user, but Apple earphones really are not for me - seems to be much better stuff out there for that sort of cash.

Z...

7. micsway123

micsway123 Member

8. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Well I got a package this morning, the new Beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X. I've been worried about my Audio Technica ATH AD-900X's cable breaking finally after about 7 years use, although everything else is still going, so I felt I might try another product. Used them about 8 hours and they will go back in the box and probably for a refund.

The biggest problem is that the detachable cables/receptacle is too loose. Every so often if I moved my head or shoulders slightly the sound would cut off and cause a static crackle. I tried both of the cables, ensured I wasn't doing something wrong, but nope, still happening. The next issue was it had pretty bad sound quality in games compared to the 900x. Very tinny, something that I could also pick up in certain songs with a lot of high tone cymbals, it could probably be fixed with some EQ adjustements, the rest of the music quality was fine though, I'm not a basshead though so YMMV for people who like it. But too many downsides. It was also pretty bad in games.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
  9. PJDeane

PJDeane Member

I'm about to upgrade my setup - no hate towards my G933's, but I've recently found out they don't come close to comparing to decent headphones to the point I'm ok with not having wireless.

Likely doing to get an ifi ZEN v2, but may splurge a bit on the DAC/AMP after some comparing (JDS Element II is fucking sexy, but not sure I can justify the expense). Mostly aiming to be picking between Sennheiser HD660s' and hifiman Sundaras, but I'll be testing HD600s and a few others while I'm shopping around. Any extra suggestions on notable mentions would be greatly appreciated and the above should give a rough indication of how much I'm letting myself spend.

10. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

Few tidbits from me (some not so popular in the audiophile community):
    • Don't waste money buying an expensive DAC. Even cheap DACs have been audibly invisible for years now. In fact, a $15 Apple USB-C to 3.5mm dongle works great as a DAC. Only issue is the amp in it is a little weak (outputs 1v) so it won't drive less sensitive headphones. Something like the Hidizs S9 Pro (DAC/AMP combo dongle) costs $170, and performs on par with DAC/AMPs costing many multiples of its price. It's also powerful enough to drive low-sensitivity, high-impedance headphones and can output hi-res audio.
    • If you're leaning towards Sennheisers and looking for value, you can't go past the Drop 58X or 6XX for value. There's literally no reason to pay more for a 660s, 600 etc - you'll get the same experience for half price or less. The Hifiman Sundaras are fantastic btw.

11. PARACAPS

PARACAPS Member

I bought them recently when it was first posted on OzBargains and they have been phenomenal.
    I changed over from the Beyerdynamic T1 2nd Gen which also sounded fantastic.

12. PARACAPS

PARACAPS Member

The 58X and 6XX are great value and a great introduction to audiophile quality gear at half price.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
    micsway123 likes this.
  13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

So you are finding they are worth an extra grand on top of something which might be excellent at say $400 for example?

14. Jag_Guy

Jag_Guy Member

Hi All,

I currently have Audio Technica ATH-ANC700BT headphones with a wired mic glued to the side of them for gaming. I'm thinking of upgrading but wondering if it's worth it? Key features that are important to me is noise cancelling, fully wireless and comfort. I only play racing games so whilst I'd love the best quality sound, it's important, but it's not top on the list. I'd also prefer to have wireless charging but that's just a bonus. I've been eyeing off he Bose quiet comfort 35 II with the gaming mic. Will they be much of an improvement?

15. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

I would consider switching the wired mic to a modmic wireless if you actually like the sound quality of the audio technicas.

Jag_Guy likes this.
  16. stalyoni

stalyoni Member

Guys need a little help please. Currently own the senny hd518 headphones (thanks to combatant) and also the Lucidsound LS50x headset. Both headphones the cups are not big enough for my ear to fit inside the cup without it touching somewhere. After while it becomes annoying and uncomfortable. In terms of mid range headphones I've only owned the audio technica ad700 back in the day and currently own the senny hd518. Loving the sound of the hd518 and clean and crispness of the sound but it's lacking the sound stage of my older ad700 from back in the day. Mostly listen to punk music and use them for gaming. Is there a senny hd6xxx or senny headphone that is better then the hd518 with bigger earcups at least on the inside to allow my ears to sit inside comfortably with out touching. Still looking for a headphone with at least 50mm drivers as well.
    Btw have the Asus b550 f gaming wifi mobo and has excellent on board audio and dac and shit

17. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Basically, no. The earcups of 518 (also 555, 558, 595, 598) have slightly different dimensions to those on 580/600/650 but the space inside the cup is about the same.
    There's a difference, but it's subtle and almost certainly not enough to solve any issues you have with 518.

18. stalyoni

stalyoni Member

Dang. Thanks for the reply. Would I have more luck moving to a different brand then maybe? Any suggestions?

19. spankyofoz

spankyofoz Member

I see you are in WA, if in Perth try somewhere like Addicted to Audio in Subiaco, they have a heap of demo headphones and are very accommodating to people coming in to try them all. I've bought my last 2 pairs from there

20. stalyoni

stalyoni Member

Not in Perth my mang. About 4 hours away actually. Only times I've been to Perth I've visited a few JB hi-fi stores and tried there headphones on but they are no way high end. Just have to go off trial and error I think and advice from other peepz