Headphone/Earphone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. oohms

oohms Member

I've done some research.. and i've found the DT660 and Proline750 could have what im looking for... and that they should sound similar to each other.

Is the Proline750 worth the extra $140?

2. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

Yes, the AD1000 are better suited to classical and Jazz :)

I don't see why not :)

If you want to use optical/coaxial, you'll need to be testing DACs as well as amps, which is a good idea seeing as laptops generally have poor quality soundcards.

The SE530 are a good choice if you ever intend to upgrade source, or get a LOD/amp combo, but otherwise slightly cheaper models won't sound that different from your average source.
    If you want something with stronger bass, the Sennheiser IE8 is worth considering.

We haven't sold a DT660 in years, they're just not that impressive sounding - the DT250 sounds a lot better, is much more comfortable and better built.
    The Proline750 also isn't very comfortable or well made, and I honestly don't think they are that much better than the DT250.
    Also, if you don't need isolation, get open headphones (although the DT250 stacks up well against similarly priced open models).

3. MillenniumPanda

MillenniumPanda Member

I'd probably only be using 'average' sources with the canalphones. In terms of bass, the 'bassiest' canalphone I currently own is the Sennheiser CX95. However, I still primarily use the VSonic R02Pro as they sound better overall.

I do intend to get some better headphones for home listening sometime later down the track, which I will probably invest in an amp as well.

4. renagade

renagade Member

Opinion of ER-4P

I currently have a pair of Ety's ER-6i but the right bud has started to stop working.
    I bought them probably 2 years ago in September this year.
    I'm looking for a pair of headphones that will last me a long time.
    $100 a year for a pair of headphones is acceptable for me.
    so if the Er-4P's can last 4-5 (longer would be excellent) years i'd be happy paying $450~
    I obviously take great care of my headphones.

Anyone have any opinion on which pair of headphones i should get.
    I'm more inclined to use a pair of canalphones but am open minded.
    I use them mainly while travelling to work on the train.
    I listen to Punk/Rock.

Cheers!

5. shiny1

shiny1 Member

I'm considering the head direct re 0
    As I posted earlier, there was a review stating for only $99 US, it was better than the ety er4p and rivals the 4s
    http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/re0-rivals-er-4s-beats-e500-er-4p-405947/

If you are comfortable with spending $400 for a brand you can trust (since you've owned the er6i) go for it. I will be spending mine on the head direct one, as I already own the re 2 and they're not too bad for just $50.

6. renagade

renagade Member

I'd like to know how you go with those ones.
    For headphones I'm not necessarily brand loyal, I'd like to have just 1 pair of headphones for a very long time!!

the more i read the more I like the sound of the RE0's.
    Im not a massive Audiophile, more I just want durable IEM

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  7. shiny1

shiny1 Member

I know what you mean. All the earphones I've used have broken connection points at either the jack or the buds. I've even gone so far as to getting a friend to resolder them. But... I guess there's only so much you can do to take care of these little buggers.

8. empacitator

empacitator Member

For gaming headsets, how much better is the MMX300 than the MMX2? It's (almost) 3 times the price (which doesn't really worry me) but is it anywhere near 3 times as good?

I'm not an audiophile by any means- I am using onboard sound- but I don't mind spending money to buy quality, I have had my ~$180 Sony headphones for about 7 or 8 years and they have been great. Are the benefits of the MMX300 wasted without a better soundcard?

Before I did some research I was looking at either the Logitech G35 or the Sennheiser PC350- by now I am trying to just choose between the MMX2 and the MMX300. Unfortunately for me I am not wanting to use a clip-on mic.

Thanks for any suggestions :)

9. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

The MMX2 is a DT234pro with a USB adaptor dongle, the DT234pro is a DT231pro with a mic.
    The MMX300 is basically a DT770pro with a broadcast quality mic and a USB dongle. It's definitely better than the MMX2, but then so is a ~$200 pair of headphones with a ~$10 clipon mic.

Yep, get a decent soundcard before you upgrade the headphones.

Well, if you're totally against a clipon mic your choices will be severely limited, and often overpriced for what you get :)

10. empacitator

empacitator Member

Thanks for your reply Snufkin.

I'm going to give the DT234pro a try, I think it will be good for what I want to use it for :)

EDIT: Changed my mind already. Spoke to Felix and changed to Audio Technica ATH-A700 and will give the clip-on mic a try

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  11. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

Good plan :)

12. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

I have a set of the Logitech G35 headphones....whiles they are not "audiophile" quality..theyhave taken my gaming experience to a whole new immersive level.

In COD4 I can even hear people who have the silent perk on and I can tell exactly where everyone is by sound.

best $135.00 ever spent.

13. sober-oz

sober-oz Member

hey, was looking at getting a decent set of headphones for gaming, which would be better, AD700 or the Beyer DTX800. soundcard is Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium

14. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

Try the Logitech G35...they have a good mic boom quite solid construction and when you have them on you dont hear a damn thing from the outside world!

Trust me..they are that good.

15. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

The AD700 has better soundstage and micro detail, but the DTX800 has heavier bass response so it depends on what you prefer in that regard.
    Both will sound a fair bit better than any "gaming" headset.

16. sober-oz

sober-oz Member

thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated.

Snufkin, may i ask how much better the soundstage is on the AD700, are they worth $40 more. i am willing to pay extra as the soundstage is obviously very important for gaming, i'm just wondering if it justifies the price diff.
    cheers.

17. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

It's definitely significant, yes.

18. sober-oz

sober-oz Member

ok, thanks i guess I'll be getting the AD700's :)

19. empacitator

empacitator Member

I can't comment on the quality of the G35's or the DTX800 but 2 days in I'm happy with my A700's :) Have also ordered an Auzentech Forte and a Zalman microphone so just have to wait for them to turn up now.

Thanks again for the advice Snufkin and also to Felix who was helpful. Free delivery that arrives overnight is very good haha :)

20. sober-oz

sober-oz Member

hey, have you got your cans yet?
    I've heard they are a-bit lacking in base, whats your opinion on this