Headphone/Earphone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Joe.

Joe. Member

I have Sennheiser HD201's, they're quite quiet, is there anyway I can increase the volume of them? (Everything maxed in Windows)

2. Dodoman

Dodoman Member

I had the A900 and it did lack a bit of bass. The sound which comes through is very clean and detailed and the bass you hear is probably how it was meant to be heard, except in the case of techno/RnB etc. .

3. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Hey, I'm after some good canal phones which have iPhone controls on them. I want the OEM Apple features (volume control and the play pause button + mic).

I've been keeping an eye on the headphones.com.au section for a while now and seen nothing that meets my needs controls wise, unfortunately!

Am thinking in the $100-250 range total. Anyone got any recommendations? Or Snufkin, do you know of any coming onto the market soon with the full complement of features?

Cheers!

4. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

Even if you think everything is maxed, there may still be an extra hidden volume slider somewhere.
    Otherwise, you have 2 alternatives - a cheap headphone amp, like a Fiio, which will boost the volume, or a better soundcard :)

All the UE Vi range http://headphones.com.au/pbrowse?search=vi the Etymotic hf2 http://headphones.com.au/pbrowse?search=hf2 and the Sennheiser mm50ip http://headphones.com.au/pbrowse?search=mm50ip have inline mics/remotes, or you can add the Shure MPA http://headphones.com.au/pbrowse?search=shure+mpa to any canalphones.

One thing to be aware of : any headphones with a built in mic/remote WILL FAIL at least once within the warranty period (no matter how much you pay), and definitely once warranty has run out.

5. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Thanks Snufkin. Unfortunately they're all the ones I've been stalking the last little while - especially the hf2's but they all lack the volume control, as does the MPA from what I can see.

But that's quite off putting about the failure rate, I might just have to get some non-headset ones and just live with it...

6. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

Ah, indeed they don't have volume control, but if you had a mic, a remote AND a volume control you'd increase your failure rate even more ;)

7. MomijiTMO

MomijiTMO Member

Man I better decide what to buy asap.

8. BarryThePenguin

BarryThePenguin Member

Easy. Don't buy Sennheiser :)

9. Whisper

Whisper Member

You would reckon that it would be a no-brainer 90% of the time.

10. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Sucks about the Sen situation. Seems to be the done thing for companies to be the monster lately :(

Anyhoo - Snufkin has put me off the iphone headset idea so now I am after some canal cans which offer the best isolation with decent sound quality. I spend a lot of time around loud stuff like buses (on way to uni etc) and have only recently noticed it *hurts* sometimes.

I have a question re the SuperFi 3Studios.
    This lists biflange tips as included (which I assume offer better isolation?) whereas the UE site says includes blunt and foam tips??

These deem to be my best bet in the $100-$200 range? Is there anything up ti $250 which would demand I spend more?

How do the Shure SE210 compare?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  11. Cellsplicer

Cellsplicer Member

I've heard the SuperFi 3S and they are not bad for the price. However I am not a big advocate of expensive IEMs so I find it hard to recommend them :)

I bought some Audio Technica ATH-CKS50s in Japan for 2990 yen and am totally satisfied. They are a bit dark but I dont want to pay a lot of money for something that is easily lost or broken. However you won't be disappointed with the SuperFi's, they extend well into the highs and also have good bass impact. Can't comment on the Shures as I haven't tried them.

12. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

The Shures offer higher isolation, an easier fit and higher durability.
    Despite UE models having a replaceable cable, the Shures tend to last longer.
    As far as sound is concerned, the SE210 is warmer and has more prominent bass response than the SF3 which tends to be fairly lean sounding.
    If you want a balanced and detailed sound, I'd recommend the RE0 over the SF3 any day.

We'll have the CKS50 in stock soon for those that just want big, boomy, phat, one-note bass and nothing else.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  13. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Thanks Snufkin & Cellsplicer.

I'd immediately jump on the RE0's but I've only seen them rated as lowish isolation which is my main concern unfortunately as these will generally be worn only outside the house with as little volume as possible.

As long as the Shure's provide better isolation and sound quality (both of which I am sure) than my iPod headphones and my POS CX300s I refuse to use anymore because they sound worse than the new iPod ones(!!!) I'll be happy.

Hopefully order the 210s soonish

14. Criminal_Colt

Criminal_Colt Member

Quoted for truth, or personal experience. My DT234's microphone failed once within warranty and then again out of warranty. Main reason I'm upgrading although after...four years(?)...they're pretty worn out anyway (padding wise).

15. MomijiTMO

MomijiTMO Member

I'm looking for headphones under $200 for listening to a range of music genres from trance to hardstyle to extreme metal. Looking at the Audio Technica A700 because the A500 is priced a bit high. I see a lot of people enjoy the Alessandro MS-1s but I'm quite paranoid about people hearing what I'm listening to and play my music at low to moderate levels. As a result, I'm looking at closed ear phones. The Shure SRH440s were recommended in the closed <$200 category in a recommendation thread at Headphones au forum. Any opinion will be taken into consideration. Oh and I like circumaural designs but don't mind supra-aural headphones [have Sen PX 200s for 3 years].

16. 123realtalk

123realtalk Member

Lately i have been looking for headphones and stumbled upon the audio technica ath series.. I was wondering if anyone had anything to say about the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 and the Audio Technica ATH-A700.

cheers

17. MomijiTMO

MomijiTMO Member

Open v closed. If you don't need sound isolation [works both ways, hate people on the bus with bloody open headphones], go for the AD700.

18. 123realtalk

123realtalk Member

any more opinions? :Paranoid:

19. AlieN101

AlieN101 Member

AD700's are a decent set of cans for the price, what music do you listen to?

if your going with electro id go with the shures, ive heard the SRH440's stack up quite well against there older brother (SRH840) and a great set of headphones for the price.

20. 123realtalk

123realtalk Member

Well, I mainly listen to trance and rnb. From what I've read, the AD700's leak a lot and I need my music to be isolated from the outside, but, according to some people, the AD700's sound better than the A700's. This is why I need some advice between the two.