Headphone/Earphone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. AlieN101

AlieN101 Member

if your happy with very little bass, AD700 would be a good choice.

2. MomijiTMO

MomijiTMO Member

Yeah after a day of no replies I went to headphonic and asked there and BANG ordered the 440s. Thanks for replying though :).

Now I'm thing apart from the STX I'm going to buy, should I upgrade to the 840s? lol. STUPID AUDIO. Where is my money? :upset:

3. Nong23

Nong23 Member

Hey guys,

I've just stumbled across this quite late! I was about to order some BeyerDynamic DTX-800's and saw some very positive things about the SRH440's. The main difference between these it appears is that the Beyer's are open and the SRH440's are closed.

I listen to a variety of music, though things that are reasonably mid-range/bass oriented such as hip-hop, drum and bass and the occasional radio/chart sort of music are mostly used. Some classical/jazz i don't mind to ilsten to while studying either. I also play a limited range of games - though not heavy fps's! Mainly NBA games actually these days lol. I'm not an audiophile or anything. I plan to plug it into the 1/4" port (I think) from an HT receiver that receives an optical signal my PC (it sits on my desk), and also occasionally into a 3.5mm slot off the back of an iMac.

Could anyone who has the DTX-800's or who has got the SRH-440's shed some light as to what they think might be preferable? I had my heart set on the Beyer's until I saw some SRH-440 reviews!

Cheers in advance guys.

4. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

The DTX800 sound better, but the SRH440 is closed, so if you need a closed model the Shures are a great choice, if not go the Beyers.

5. Nong23

Nong23 Member

Thanks for the prompt response mate. The main question then for me is, how much sound leaks out of the open DTX-800's? I would in most cases not be sitting around many people, if at all, however at night the point of using my phones would be so that others (say 4-5m away) do not hear it. I would use it also to listen to a fair bit of speech while studying (ie uni lectures). Do you reckon this (or rap even) could be heard by others sitting a a few metres away?

Sorry if these are silly questions - I want to get a purchase right lol.

Cheers,

Neel

6. MomijiTMO

MomijiTMO Member

From headphonic:

At your normal listening volume, take your current headphones off and place them on your desk. That's what open headphones sound like.

7. Nong23

Nong23 Member

Cheers for the responses.

My only set of normal phones are some Panasonics that I just use for running - there is some leakage obviously, not massively audible at my listening level.

I'm still undecided argh! I've heard the DTX-800 may be uncomfortable for people with large ears? (of which I am definitely one lol). The Shure's seem to have VERY good reviews. How is the bass response on the Shure's compared to the Beyers - ie is it primarily reputed to be quite solid due to it being a closed phone as opposed to open, or is it actually quite good notwithstanding that?

I seem to be learning towards the Shure's and they;re priced quite competitively too!

8. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

The SRH440 is great for a closed model, but unless you need the isolation the open alternatives are better allround.

9. Nong23

Nong23 Member

Yep thats fair. How about build quailty? Someone wrote on the blog at headphones.com.au that the Beyer's look cheap, but have better build quality than they look. The SRH-440's appear to have a very strong build quality?

10. JuzIE

JuzIE Member

Im in the market for a good pair of headphones for both gaming and music/movie. What would you recommend me get?

My last headset was the Creative Fatal1ty POS $50 which did the job, but i broke them at 1am in the morning when i pulled the cord and ripped the jacks apart.

Thanks.

11. MomijiTMO

MomijiTMO Member

Good for their price as far as I'm aware.
    Budget is $___.

12. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

If you're set on buying the SRH440, just buy them :)
    Build quality is good.
    You'll get better sound out of similarly priced open models, but no isolation. The best thing about the Shures is that they're one of the better performing closed headphones for the price, compared to open models they don't do as well so it's more of a matter of what you want to use them for, they aren't the best all-round by a long shot.

13. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Hey guys, I'm after a pair of low-end canalphones to take on runs/walks. I was thinking about getting another set of CX300s, but I just had a look around at the metrofis and what not. What should I get? Something around the ~$50-60 range. Are the CX300s still the king?

14. Drubbing

Drubbing Member

For $20 more the Vsonic Ro2pro2 is 10 times better. IMO. I found the cx all bass and treble. The Vsonics fill in the midrange, the bass is better and the treble more detailed.

15. Wodan

Wodan Member

My dog just chewed up my DT234pro headset. The mic was on the way out anyway, had to spend 5 minutes positioning it to work correctly.

My dilemma is:

I want headphones that sound as good
    MUST have a mic
    I don't want to buy another DT234pro set, as they were a little uncomfortable for my monkey ears.

Budget: Probably $200-$300, but I will spend a little more if the right product turns up.

Edit: Fuck it, I'll just buy the AD700's and use a clip on mic. I really wish there was a market for decent headsets, what other option is there besides the G35 or Barracuda/Megalodon.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  16. mthien

mthien Member

Good choice. :thumbup:

I personally wouldn't go near the 5.1 gaming headsets.

17. Criminal_Colt

Criminal_Colt Member

Word of warning, I had a mate who returned the 700's instantly because of the lack of bass. He exchanged them for the 900s. He thinks the 900's are infinitely better than the 700's.

I'm getting the 900s, I couldn't give a balanced opinion but I'll let you know if they also have a light bass (both have a light/neutral non-doof doof bass apparently).

18. Drubbing

Drubbing Member

All good phones aim for balance and a more natural sound. If all people have heard before are doofs doofs, they'll sound light on bass.

19. MomijiTMO

MomijiTMO Member

Most of your cheapo headsets have a lot of muddy bass. Best example is the Plantronic heapdhones.

20. NoRemorse1812

NoRemorse1812 New Member

My fav earphones I've ever owned were Zalman's

I had a pair of Zalman ZMRS6F Headphones which were cool for their price. I'm after a pair for this Christmas - any suggestions?