1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Headphone recommendations.

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by Rii, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Rii

Rii (Banned or Deleted)

I'm in the market for a new set of headphones, primarily for PC use. Music, movies, games, in that order. I'm looking to spend no more than $200.

The qualities I'm after:

- Full-size (circumaural?)
    - Prefer closed design, not essential though.
    - Comfortable and durable.
    - Easily driven, no amplification required.
    - 3.5mm jack with reasonable (1m+) cable length.
    - Microphone is not required, but would consider a headset if it was up to par in other areas.

Initially they'd be running off onboard sound, but a new PC with provision for a sound card will be on the table a few months from now.

Any recommendations as to specific models I should take a look at would be much appreciated. :)

EDIT: I just realised this should possibly be in What/Where To Buy instead. Apologies if that's the case...

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  2. [UGG]Wumba

[UGG]Wumba Member

3. crackthewhip

crackthewhip Member

Anything Sennheiser, you can't really go wrong. I had some (from memory, might be wrong model) HD437's and they were fantastic. Really good treble, incredible bass. Be prepared to pay, but they're worth it. Also had some studio type sennheiser's years ago which were great as well.

4. bioxeed

bioxeed Member

:lol:

seriously. there are so many senns that the crap ones outnumber the good ones. Frankly most of them are overpriced for what they are.

OP - have a read of http://headphones.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7

5. crackthewhip

crackthewhip Member

well i can only give advice going by my personal experience with them, and i've never had a problem with sennheiser, quite the opposite. Having said that i will clarify my first post. "anything in the middle to higher range of sennheiser".

6. OP
    OP
    Rii

Rii (Banned or Deleted)

Thanks for the comments and links so far guys.

How does the Audio Technica (closed) A700 compare against the (open) AD700? I notice the A500 on the Headphonic recommended list for closed 'phones, and the AD700 on the list for open, just wondering where the A700 fits in there. :)

7. Simwah

Simwah Member

Open are better unless you are in an environment that's really noisy.

8. Simwah

Simwah Member

I've never used them but the ATH-A700 are quite will regarded.

9. THE D

THE D Member

Please............ only a few senns are good.

10. petfoodonly

petfoodonly Member

Ignoring the Senns debate, open headphones are, in general, better because it is easier to deal with the enclosure.

That doesn't mean anything about any two given headphones though.

AD700's sound pretty good and if you want a general headphone for general use I'd certainly vote them up. Light construction is reasonably tough and they are comfortable enough for long term listening.

I have no heard either of the closed products.

11. soulblade64

soulblade64 Member

I am trying to choose headphones to, and rather than create a new thread, I'll just post here.

I'm after ones for music, preferably full ear cover (Supra Aural or Circum Aural) 3.5mm connection

Now, I'll be using them only at work, so I'll want to be able to:
    • Listen to music at a reasonable volume
    • Not disturb others around me
    • be able to hear people when they try talking to me

Now, I'm happy to sacrifice volume for the ability to hear others, but I'd like to be able to crank it a bit and not disturb anyone.

I got the Logitech Freepulse, but I get such shit connection at work I'm opting for Sennheiser wired headphones.

I've looked at these headphones
    Sennheiser PMX60
    Sennheiser HD212pro
    Sennheiser HD435
    Sennheiser HD515
    Sennheiser HD555
    Sennheiser HD280pro

Now I've read some reviews on all of them, but they don't say anything about listening to these headphones at lowish volumes so as not to disturb co-workers.

I'm thinking the PMX60's for an entry level headphone, simple design, cheap, probably all I need for what I'll use them for.... However, then comes the question of comfort. I'm happy paying a bit extra for the added comfort of one of the other models.

I was thinking about the HD435 or the HD515, but I've heard the audio quality is somewhat disappointing... but will I notice at low volumes?

I considered the HD555, but can I really justify what I've heard about the quality when I'm only going to be listening to music on low.

I also considered the HD280pro, what I heard was one of the best for music from Sennheiser, but once again... do I really need to spend that much for low level music.

I only noticed the HD212pro, and figured I'd throw them in as an option.

So what would be best for me, considering all I want is the ability to listen to music in decent quality (Doesn't have to be high), and be able to hear my co-workers if they talk to me from 10 feet away.... and I'm willing to take the headphones off to talk to them, I just need to be able to know when they're trying to get my attention.

Recommendations?... Experiences?... thankyou.

12. TMM

TMM Member

How much are you willing to spend?

Out of the Sennheisers you listed, the HD555 are probably the best, but aren't exactly terribly easily driven. I mean they will be ok from a PC soundcard, but not at their full potential unless you amp them. Closed phones like the HD280pro will isolate too much to hear coworkers over your music (if they call for you, you probably won't hear them, and you'd definately need to take them off to talk to them even if you turn your music down.).

I'd be looking at the PX100/PMX100, and Koss KSC75 (earclip supra-aural style). Being open they have pretty much zero isolation so you can talk to people with them on :). The Sennheisers have a 'warm' sound (bassy with slightly rolled off highs), where the Koss are more bright (slightly piercing highs).

For a bit more i'd go for the Audio-technica ATH-AD700 and up from that the AD900. They are easily driven from a soundcard. Again they are pretty much fully open so you don't need to take them off to talk :). AD700/AD900 are a pretty neutral sound. Some find them lacking bass. The AD900 have a bit more bass then the AD700, and a suitable step up in quality.

13. ASSmatic

ASSmatic Member

Also look at buying from the USA. On some models you pay around half what you would here.

14. soulblade64

soulblade64 Member

I'm in a mindset that money is not an option, I just want to know if I can justify the amount.

I would like to look at US, however I'll be getting store credit from where I return my Logitech Freepulse to (Scorptec) as there's technically nothing faulty with them.

Although I will look into them ASSmatic if you know any websites.

15. TMM

TMM Member

http://www.bluetin.com/stores/australia/shop.html (singapore) http://bluetin.com/catalog/ (Japan)
    http://headphones.com.au/

Bluetin's Singapore site is a bit clunky but i've never had a problem with them. Headphonic have awesome service and although their prices appear a bit dear at first you have to consider that they include free (unregistered - only a little more for registered) shipping which all adds up.

Express/Registered shipping on some AD900's from Bluetin cost me $50~ about a year ago. If i bought them now i'd probably buy from Headphonic as the difference would probably only be $30-40 (when i bought them Headphonic was $150 dearer :p)

16. soulblade64

soulblade64 Member

I think I'm just gonna get the HD555's from Scorptec (as with OCAU discount I can get them $195 pickup, plus I'll get the store credit from my logitech headphones when I return them for being amazingly faulty)... I'm happy paying the extra $10 to be able to walk away with my headphones that day.

However, The HD555's are a 1/4" connecter with a 3.5mm adapter... I'm using the inbuilt sound of a Dell Optiplex 755... Is there any point getting a 1/4" connector when I plan on only really ever using these headphones for relatively quiet music... or does it not matter two flying fucks?... Like I said, money is no real object, but I just want to be able to justify it, or if for the purpose of what I need something else will do the trick.... I guess I'm partial to the HD 555's because they're big "Fuck off I don't want to talk" headphones... and me working a helpdesk, that'd be awesome!

I'm still looking into the PMX 100's though, however Scorptec doesn't sell them... I might enquire if they can get some.

17. Whisper

Whisper Member

Your personal experience is extremely limited then.

You're like the soulblade64 guy who has a list of headphones that are all Sennheiser. /sigh

18. crackthewhip

crackthewhip Member

Sorry, your opinion is so much more valuable than mine. /sarcasm

19. Whisper

Whisper Member

Coming from the guy who made that initial post, I'll take your /sarcasm post as a compliment.

For his next post, crackthewhip will imitate intelligence by successfully convincing other people in this forum, that he's a real person! /zhoom!!!

20. soulblade64

soulblade64 Member

Scorptec are listing the PMX-100's now (http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/28853) after I contacted them. is $79 a reasonable price for them?

Will $79 PMX-100's suffice for what I need (See initial post) over the $200 HD555's?