1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Headphone Stand

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Butcher9_9, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Hi Guys

Not sure if this should go here or in the Audio sub forum but here it its anyway.

There has been a bulk collection in my area so lots of stuff to work with, Mmmmmm free. Very basic head phone stand that I'm hoping to have finished next weekend.

Found a nice piece of Jarrah flooring which should work nicely. I had planned on taking a silhouette of a head and cutting hat into the wood, however I have a set of AD700s and the head band catches the bit of wood sort of like this trap only with less blood. (not work safe)http://bloody-disgusting.com/editorials/3357077/worst-decisions-made-in-horror/4/

[​IMG]

So I came up with a C shaped design.
    [​IMG]

All marked up and ready to go. The reason I'm not using the full width is that there is a lip on the other side where another board would fit.
    [​IMG]

Used a Whole saw to get the curves just right. I marked the center point a little bit to far to the right but that will be alright.
    [​IMG]

The only part I'm not so sure on is the base of the Stand, Will is be stable enough? Any ideas or other potential designs ? You can see the bit of wood I will have left.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  2. Cpt.J.Sparrow

Cpt.J.Sparrow Member

A couple of knobs for the cable?

How about Ikea?

3. OP
    OP
    Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Knobs, good idea. I'll use my hole saw to cut a few from that piece of wood.

I don't want to screw it into my desk as its a has a fairly nice wooden top.

4. Cpt.J.Sparrow

Cpt.J.Sparrow Member

You could use those nice metallic knobs from Ikea.

5. OP
    OP
    Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Ended up getting some metal knobs from Bunnings as the drive is a bit long for just those from Ikea.

Did some more work on this project, As part of that I needed a planner of some sort, Did a bit of searching and came across a few videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DezxCIl6ynM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpU5dZlW2pg

The first requires a shorter arm but is not height adjustable, the second needs a much longer arm but is height adjustable. Both have issues securing the piece (requiring consumables ect.)

I have create the jig below. Height adjustable (with bolts instead of screws for a longer life, I screwed down the first set of rails and sunk nuts into them ) and I created a sliding clamp of sorts held in place with a mitred edge and 2 blots. The bolts are from a piece of Ikea style furniture (bulk collection) that I chopped the tops off and added washers ect. they came with a thread nut (thread on both the inside and outside) which makes them better than just sinking a standard nut into the wood.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In action on a different piece of wood.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  6. OP
    OP
    Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Start off by ripping off the end.
    [​IMG]

Cutting out the basic shape.
    [​IMG]

Triple check it all loos alright
    [​IMG]

This is why I needed to make the planer. The Jarrad i am using is a scrap floor board and has floor board related grooves.
    [​IMG]

Grooves no more, I did however stuff it up a bit. I small wood chip got stuck under the wood on the second pass and raised it up a bit so I had to plane in thinner than i had wanted :(.
    [​IMG]

Run the router over it to smooth out the edges, also screwed into place so i can shape it a bit with a rasper.
    [​IMG]

7. Craggles

Craggles Member

Pity about the location of the defect in the wood, any risk of that breaking off you think?

8. OP
    OP
    Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

LOL, indeed there is a chance. Broke off a couple of days ago and I had to glue it back on :(. Looks OK though, once its varnished you might not even notice.

That was going to be in my next update.

9. Craggles

Craggles Member

Ah bugger, gluing it should be fine and to make it look spiffy I'd try and fill the holes flush with some kind of clear resin.

You wont have you headphones on that end tip anyways so shouldn't be an issue in the future hopefully

10. OP
    OP
    Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Well all sanded and varnished with some knobs installed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Rory K

Rory K Member

Very nice!

Did you consider cutting in to the top to have a lip at the front, so they can't slide off? Might be a bit late now...

12. OP
    OP
    Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

yeah, I had considered creating a lip at the from and the back but I tested it before I varnished it ect and slippage was not an issue.

13. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Lol I just have a little wall hook next to the PC to hang my headphone on. :D Good effort though. :thumbup::D

14. broccoli

broccoli Member

very nice :thumbup:

15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Great effort op. I've been thinking recently what I'll use when I purchase the new headset for the main tv. Was also thinking of something along the same lines as what you've made.....but also the manikin head interests me also.

16. charg3r

charg3r Member

Wall hook?

[​IMG]

If my headphones are ever hanging, it's by the cable swinging under the desk.

17. archie

archie Member

18. OP
    OP
    Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Lol, Just need a fully chrome version and it would be sweet.

19. archie

archie Member

its a rubber sheath of sorts covering the chrome so I could slit it and remove it like stripping a cable.

http://mydaiso.com.au/ is the shop where I purchased it, was $5-6 from memory. not shown on website though anymore.

no fancy cable storage like yours though, its just dangling behind the desk for me