1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Heads Up for People Wanting to Port to Telstra

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by supasaiyan, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Hive

Hive Member

I don't believe you.

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

For 20 years, more than happy, discounts galore : )

Misery is about to come in the form of NBN :upset:

supasaiyan likes this.
  3. Hive

Hive Member

What? Every other ISP is able to manage NBN faults.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I'm not talking about faults, I'm talking about the service I will have after going to NBN, i.e. it will be lesser than I have now, for most likely at least the same money. That is my misery. I'm more than happy with what I have currently with Telstra.

But otherwise, in terms of single stand alone mobiles, then no I wouldn't be with Telstra.

Huh?

5. Hive

Hive Member

I'm guessing currently cable going to HFC? Cable maxes out at 100/5 doesn't it?

Believe it. Nobody you speak to at Telstra is technical or capable of independent thought. All carefully scripted. The second you throw a curve-ball or something more complex than "hello, goodbye or no" you may as well be speaking another language. Too much outsourcing, too many useless managers, too many decisions to split up the company into departments with useless department heads. To throw in a little joke, it is Telstra policy to not allow inter-departmental communication.

Oh my god i've become so jaded.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yep and I was getting in excess of that according to speedtest, if you trust that.

Depends who you talk to, there seems to be soooo many arms and finger in the pie, so it can be difficult sometimes I won't lie. But overall I've been pretty happy given the length of time I've been with that.

You have, and quite honestly I don't blame you, ymmv.

7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yeah I've been on cable for a long time so missed all the ups and down of the adsl world.

8. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

lol standard practice if the customer service monkey won't give me what I want is just to request being put through to cancellations. I speak to an aussie who has the power to do anything. No problem.

The 'live chat' rep always flat out refuses to waive any fees, ie. you're one month from end of contract, have been with Telstra 15 years, and need a new phone as your 2 year old samsung has broken. They used to, but not any more. No problem, just pull out the cancellations card and deal done in 2 minutes, new phone in the post and on the way.

Yeah it's a shit system but it's not hard to circumvent if you're switched on

9. miicah

miicah Member

Telstra's prepaid option is the best. What's the point of having 100gb of data if you get 10kbps down

alexb618 likes this.
  10. Sunder

Sunder Member

I grudgingly moved to Telstra about 5 or 6 years ago, as my boss was paying the phone bill, and was insistent on it. Haven't looked back yet. You do need to learn to play the game with them, but in that time:

1. I've gotten data charges removed from my bill, because apparently "unmetered" on Bigpond Movies only applies to fixed connections, not mobile connections;
    2. Got an extra 10Gb a day added to my mobile plan when HFC was getting some outages on my home. Despite me being on holidays at the time.
    3. Got a free modem when my one died. I just said well if I have to pay for a whole new modem, I may as well look around at what other plans were available - So they sent me a free one with no commitment.
    4. I get 4-5Mbps with no antenna at my dad's holiday house, or 40Mbps with an antenna, but have no connection at all on any other carrier.
    5. I never experienced any outages during their rough year.
    6. The coup de grace:

upload_2019-10-31_16-1-20.png

That's my evening speed on 4G. I cap out the capabilities of my phone off-peak.

11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Basically all you get is a front end operator if you call in. You can never get anyone technical that can go through some troubleshooting. Front end is simply just to take your call and they investigate after that.

12. OP
    OP
    supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

PSA - I work for Telstra, if you have any issues, send me a P.M. and I’ll get it sorted

VIP3R, Zippy7 and JSmithDTV like this.