1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Healthy Snack ideas

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by sjaeger172004, May 6, 2020.

1. sjaeger172004

sjaeger172004 Member

Hi all

I am currently 108kg at 173cm (yes I know I need to loose about 30kgs) due to Nerve impingement at L4L5S1 since 2009 and just started seeing a dietitian before COVID19 as I was never able to get a referral as well as being on the pension I couldn't afford I was wondering about healthy snack ideas as well as healthy home made dips.

I have been eating Kinela (Hit100) meals Dietitian made meals for the last couple of months as well as walking but cant wait til safe to go back to the gym as will be working out a couple times per week with Personal Trainer.

Thank you

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

For morning snacks when I was losing a bit of weight I would go for sliced carrots and celery.

3. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

Edamame beans. Can buy them from Coles/Woolworths.

4. blankpaper

blankpaper Member

Oils are calorie dense but if it fits your macro restrictions then can't go past a guacamole or baba ganoush.

An alternative that doesn't have much oil is tabbouleh, if you like Lebanese food.

Maybe even tzatziki is another option, again depending on your nutrient restrictions you might need to opt for low fat yoghurt instead.

5. schnappy

schnappy Member

From my experience if you are trying to reduce total energy intake to lose weight you are better off not snacking at all (It's a slippery slope you have one tiny snack and boom you ate all your snacks - but ymmv).

The only food I regularly snack on is raw carrots because they're a great snack food but also dirt cheap. Celery is good but relatively expensive.

Green beans are also good. Green peas are relatively high in protein so theoretically fill you up more than alternatives (I am not sure if gram for gram protein being more filling than carbs is science or broscience) and offer some micronutritional benefits.

I eat frugally to save money but it's a bit of a sport too so money is a big driver for me.

miicah likes this.
  6. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

I eat popcorn and fruit. 65 calories for 200g of strawberries and 120 calories for 25g of popcorn. Takes a while to eat, good amount of food volume, low calorie density.

A can of tuna is another quick and easy one, good if you need some protein in and about 100 calories but easily finished in seconds. Higher protein diets in general may help a little with satiety.

7. miicah

miicah Member

Drink water when you're hungry. Or just push through.

Avoid heavy carbs, especially if you *have* to snack.