Heaphone & Stereo DACs recommendation

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by Bertross, Nov 15, 2011.

1. MdMa

MdMa Member

Do you think the X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion Series (using the front panel head phone input) has enough power to drive my AKG 601's?

If not, how would I add a head phone amp to the mix, leaving me the ability to use my Klipsch Promedia's (Bash Amp) as they are now which is connected directly the X-Fi?

2. Mewoo

Mewoo Member

Definitely not.
    get a DAC, connect it to digital out on soundcard, then buy a matrix m stage ora talisman amp (the one that snufkin sells). :thumbup:

Just buy it all off snufkin :p:thumbup:

(Huggy_Bear64 posting on Mewoo's acct btw.)

3. MdMa

MdMa Member

If I was to only get an amp I take it I would have to connect it to my sound card via 3.5mm (from sound card) to RCA's (amp)?

4. Drubbing

Drubbing Member

It will probably sound pretty ordinary. I know nothing about the fatality, but if someone says it's not good enough, it might not just be a power issue, but also the quality of the signal that you'll be amping. That's why the recommendation to get a DAC.

3.5/RCA hybrid connections are not ideal either.

5. Jedi Jezz

Jedi Jezz Member

As long as the quality of the sound from the XFi via the 3.5mm jack is good enough for you I see no reason why an appropriate headphone amp won't be sufficient. Surely the DACs on the XFi aren't that bad.

6. MdMa

MdMa Member

The other issue is the X-Fi Platinum doesn't have any optical outs on the card, only on the front panel. I have also upgraded the OPAMP for the main channels (front left and right), if that makes any difference.

[​IMG]

7. Drubbing

Drubbing Member

Well, a head amp won't have an optical in - it's an analogue device. Unless it's a DAC/amp combo.

8. MdMa

MdMa Member

Here is some info I found over on hardforum... your thoughts?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  9. Drubbing

Drubbing Member

Lots of advertising techno babble. Burr Brown and Wolfson make quality DACs.

But it's not just about the chip, but what other components are used with it, and how. None of those product listed are 'high end' as claimed, they're at the budget end. The Musiland is possibly the exception.

THe best test is you ears, and having something you know that is better to compare it with.

10. MdMa

MdMa Member

And that's the biggest issue of all; no one I know has anything better than me... yet.

11. EpHeSuS

EpHeSuS Member

Haven't really looked through the entire thread - but I've been reading very good things about the Audio GD DAC's. It's another Chinese guy designing and building his own gear that I've only just recently heard of. Definitely worth having a look at them if you're after a reasonably priced DAC or even amp/DAC combo (the NFB-10SE is meant to be great)

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/DACsEN.htm

Actually in the process of ordering a NFB-3.1 DAC to put into my headphone system. Be interested to see how much of an improvement there is over the Chaintech AV-710 using the Wolfson DAC.

So after this my chain will be USB -> AGD NFB-3.1 -> Little Dot 1+ w/ OPA2107 and currently Mullard M8161 tubes and soon to be Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV's -> Alessandro MS-Pro's

12. swong

swong Member

I have the NFB-10SE, using them with DT880/600 in balanced mode. :)

I also have the MS-1 which also make an excellent combo with the 10SE. Wish I could try the MS-Pros or one of the higher end Grado phones with them too though as I really enjoy their sound. If only you were in Sydney!

13. Lardman

Lardman Member

FIIO E17 hitting soon. Headfonia have released some initial impressions and they're saying it's an all round improvement so far.

http://www.headphiles.org/index.php?topic=3144.0

[​IMG]
    Expected price around the 150 mark, apparently.

Courtesy of Headfonia:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011