Heat, Cooling and Energy Consumption

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by dasicvtec, Oct 1, 2009.

1. dasicvtec

dasicvtec Member

Hi

Just something that id like a bit more information on. I have a very badly ventilated room. No Airflow so it gets a bit stuffy after a while. Atm ive got a Thermalright TRUE 120 (passive) cooler on my cpu and temps are pretty stable, and general system temps are fine.

If i was to add a fan to the cooler, my cpu temp will decrease, but would the room still heat up at the same speed ? So if i run my components cooler through the use of fans, better coolers, will my room heat up (due to the same voltage being used in the parts) in the same amount of time but the side affect will be my computer will run cooler ?

Will reducing temps of cpu/gpu/ram and so on make them more efficient in doing work and run cooler ?

thanks

2. NNNG

NNNG Member

I think it might marginally make the room heat up faster. But it won't make it hotter than it already gets.

3. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

I think you best rethink your theory there dude, the only way the core temp of a person will stay the same is if the Tea is at same temp as the bodies core (about 37.7 degrees). But not many have a warm or cold cup of Tea thus the Tea will likely be hotter adding more energy to the core thus raising the temp. This temp rise will then be soon blead off to normalise the core temp and this is why you get a warm or flushed feeling after a hot drink.

OP, you room will likely raise in temp every so slightly due to forced airflow over the CPU instead of normal convection cooling. The amount will be SFA.
    If your little room is stuffy, then fitting a ceiling fan, opening a window or putting door mounted vents will help alot.

4. -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

I personally think perhaps the room would be cooler overall but initially warm up quicker.

I mean, the air would be moving about more so the 'heat' would travel through the room quicker.

HOWEVER

The CPU and quite possibly the rest of the PC would be running cooler, the CPU significantly so, meaning it would be dissipating less heat than before.

So basically what I'm saying is instead of having say 50° sitting there gradually warming up the room you'd have 35° moving about the room more.

5. inkypaws

inkypaws Member

If you assume that the room has a fixed and finite heat capacity
    AND
    radiates heat at a fixed rate
    AND
    that the PC can put heat into the room faster than the room can get rid of it

Then increasing the rate of transfer of heat from PC -> Room means that equilibrium will be reached sooner. However, I think it would be quite hard to meet the 3rd assumption

6. Glock

Glock Member

To OP - all thermodynamics and/or people who may or may not have much understanding of said aside, if you're trying to reduce the temperature of the room, superior cooling for the components will do practically nothing (and arguably theoretically nothing too).

Best idea is to reduce voltages (and/or clockspeeds), to reduce the rate at which you're putting heat into the room, and/or fit an exhaust fan, open a window, or even just some kind of fan to move the air about more (which won't directly remove heat from the room, but will increase convection in general, and at the very least heat all the air evenly).

7. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

personally i think your room would only be made hotter by the extra power used to run the extra fans

if you PC uses X amount of power that amount will not change (not counting the fans) if the cooling is increased

if the amount of heat produced by the PC stays the same then the temperature of the room will state the same

by having a better cooler on your CPU the CPU does not loss heat faster (excluding the first minute or so) it just loss heat more efficiently, lots of warm air rather than a little hot air

8. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

Rough approximation:

The CPU will still be outputting the same amount of heat. All you're doing is increasing the rate at which that heat can be transferred to the air (and adding a tiny bit more heat from the extra fan).

The room will heat up very slightly faster (because of the better heat transfer from the CPU to the air), but this will be pretty much insignificant (far smaller than other environmental factors).

Better approximation:

Semiconductors have a higher resistance at low temperatures, so keeping the CPU cool will slightly reduce the actual heat output. The same is true for the GPU. With HDDs I'm not sure; it'll depend on how viscous the lubricants are at different temperatures.

In reality, this isn't likely to make any noticeable difference. The room will feel much the same temperature, but the PC will run cooler. A much better solution would be to improve the room's airflow. A cheap $10 fan from Kmart sitting in the entrance to the room would probably help.

9. OP
    OP
    dasicvtec

dasicvtec Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. As i dont play games much anymore ive decided to offload the 8800gts i had in my pc. So far some of the changes ive done to lower overall room temp have been to:

-Replace 8800GTS with a ATI 4350
    -Lower voltage of cpu from roughly 1.280v to 0.880v (according to cpuz)
    -Lower MHZ of cpu currently at 1.8ghz
    -Taking out all fans from system
    -Installed a 150gb raptor i had sitting around
    -Reduced 2x500gb drives to 1tb

The main goal here was to reduce temps of my room. The system is now silent (only has the PSU fan running) and still stays within in a good temperature range. Ive noticed already that the room doesnt heat up as much, takes longer to start feeling warm. all of the voltmods are easily changeable same as with the fans.

So yeh, thanks for the replies.