[PROJECT] Heavy Lift Hexacopter scratch build

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by ShadowBurger, Oct 27, 2016.

1. OP
    OP
    ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

So, I finally got the beast out again. I strapped a camera to the top plate (no gimbal) and took it for a fly. It was a bit out of tune with the weight of the new batteries (16,000mAh total) so there's some oscillation in certain flight modes. I cut a bit of the video as the total flight was about 18 minutes long and most of it was just me drifting aimlessly around the ovals.

During the flight I had a GeoFence set. It was a cylinder with radius 400m and relative height of 120m. I tested this a few times and it successfully kicked into RTL mode. This can be overridden by switching the RTL mode switch on then off, after which it will engage again if the craft drifts another ~100m beyond the GeoFence.

Excuse the cheesy dubstep, running joke among mates :lol: Also excuse the scratched lens :thumbdn:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  2. tasmik

tasmik Member

love the build, my next quad planned is going to be a 450+ quad, while I appreciate you fabbing all this, just goes into my too hard basket.

Most likely ill go with something like the tbs discovery or something else if I find something commercially available that's pretty looking or atleast not fugly.

3. OP
    OP
    ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

nice, TBS discoveries are pretty popular. post piccies! :D I agree, this machine has been a lot of work... A couple of times I was wondering if I'd bitten of more than I could chew. I'm glad that I've spent $$ on the right kit, like the dragonlink and a PX4, instead of making do with cheaper gear. In the end it wasn't that difficult of a build though, probably the only 'difficult' part was drilling holes in the arms. I definitely need a better way to do that in future

4. OP
    OP
    ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

Had another fly last Saturday. It was good to get the beast out again! It takes a lot more effort to pack the required hardware and set everything up in the field than it does for the little race quads...

Not in this video is the long flight I did around the lodge where I was staying. Very windy conditions but the hex took it like a champ. Still haven't fitted the gimbal... I'm just now getting around to designing and building the truss to hold it out in front where the camera gets a clear view

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  5. OP
    OP
    ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

The big hex has been converted to a Y6! Benefits are mostly pretty obvious, although the cool factor is somewhat reduced :thumbdn: Gimbal is fitted as well, but now my camera is playing up so I don't have a video from it

See the test flight here:

6. kronikabis

kronikabis Member

What were your reasons for dragonlink and had you considered or tried anything else?

I'm in the middle of a very different project but need a LRS for it.

tested the range you get with dragonlink?

7. OP
    OP
    ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

I plan on transitioning to planes at some point and flying long range. Certainly the big hex doesn't even come close to pushing the range capabilities on the dragonlink but it will push the limit on a FrSky X8R. More importantly, it has a built in data modem and some other very cool features that make it attractive apart from its range, and they were my primary reasons for buying it. Without the dragonlink, I'd have to look at yet another transmitter and receiver for handling telemetry and uploading mission data (waypoints) while the hex is in the air.

I'm looking around for a smaller antenna to use on the transmitter side to make it a bit more compact. There is also a more compact version of the transmitter out now that wasn't available when I got mine, so with those the dragonlink would be less cumbersome

8. kronikabis

kronikabis Member

Thanks mate - perfect - the comparison with the x8r is what i needed to hear! :thumbup:

I'll have to have a look at them again.

long range fixed wing stuff was what i was looking at in the future also.

vladtepes likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

I have since done away with the big circular 1.2ghz antenna and gone to a much smaller linear setup. Likewise for the dragonlink I have switched from the fairly ugly dipole to a small monopole I have made myself.

Here she is doing some real photography work for a local school. Obviously it now has a gimbal and in this photo it's running a GoPro Hero 4 Black, although it also has connectors and brackets to run a Black Magic Micro Cinematic for when I need special camera abilities for whatever reason (like long zoom angles) or a canon 5D for survey work / mapping. My favourite photo of the hexa so far!

[​IMG]

Here, you can see some more of the other work it has done recently:

10. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Very impressive/
    Whats it like to fly in comparison with something like a Mavic Pro ?
    More hands one? More to go wrong?

11. OP
    OP
    ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

Hey vladtepes

It is a lot more complicated to set up and get going - the consumer DJI drones really simplify everything. At the same time this drone's flight controller can handle all sorts of things like lidar 3d mapping and surveying with the right equipment

In terms of flight characteristics it is very aerobatic. Without a payload the thrust to weight ratio is something like 12:1. I have configured the flight controller with an Acro mode, just like a race quad, so at some point I'll get it out and fly it around like one... :)

Haven't used this in months - I have DJI drones for photography now.

vladtepes likes this.
  12. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Cool, cheers.

13. OP
    OP
    ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

well, took it out for that fly today. Pilot error caused a crash. It's fine, just some broken props and landing legs

14. caspian

caspian Member

ouch.... that was a hell of a drop.