Help choosing HDTV for oldschool console gaming

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by KoroKoro, Jun 8, 2018.

1. KoroKoro

KoroKoro Member

I've been looking at this site, but they seem to only list US models.
    https://displaylag.com/display-database/

I've asked LG etc directly and they are completely useless telling me that 240Hz is good... ffs

Apart from spending a fortune shipping a display directly from the US, is there any kind of resource to find what the Australian domestic market has to offer in terms of latency?

Thanks.

2. Sledge

Sledge Member

Why not just get a CRT?
    If it's for old school....

3. OP
    OP
    KoroKoro

KoroKoro Member

Actually I've got 2 rgb crts, unfortunately they both need recapping really badly... its a bit of a big job. Oh and they dont support component, so that rules out the ps2 and gamecube. Unfortunately for me I've modded my NES and N64 for HDMI as well...
    So in need for a low latency HDTV...

Sledge likes this.
  4. samo

samo Member

Are you going to be playing competitive Donkey Kong or Goldeneye? Perplexed as to why super low input lag would be so high on your list.

5. OP
    OP
    KoroKoro

KoroKoro Member

actually I play ssbm competitively. though my scaler has 21ms delay (+rog gaming monitor), so we stick to using a CRT. But on top of that, my current 4K 55" from LG is giving me over 160ms (9.5 frames) which renders almost any twitch game unplayable... and yes, I've mucked around with every setting. game mode does shit.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  6. OP
    OP
    KoroKoro

KoroKoro Member

I find it really hard to believe that console gamers can tolerate this...
    Are there literally no decent TVs out there?

7. bYrd

bYrd Member

Local "WTB for beer" on Gumtree or FB Marketplace should surely net you a few large CRTs of your choosing. Best would be a 32" mid-00 16:9 CRT if you have the fitness/space to move it in.

8. OP
    OP
    KoroKoro

KoroKoro Member

Unfortunately lag on HD-CRTs are just as bad as LCDs :(

9. partybear

partybear Member

Just buy a computer monitor they don't have any of the lag creating features tvs have.

10. nope

nope Member

lol just get a crt

11. OP
    OP
    KoroKoro

KoroKoro Member

"lol just get a crt"
    just... oh why didn't I think of that? Oh right, doesn't accept digital video...

PB, I actually seriously considered this. Whats the largest 16:9 1080p or 4K monitor that you can get? Though out of all of the consumer grade cheap LCD monitors I have (lag is almost acceptable) but ghosting is really getting on my nerves. Anything over 7.5 fps and 120 pixels/second is a complete blurry mess.
    https://www.testufo.com/framerates#count=6&background=stars&pps=120

I can't even play sonic the hedgehog... barely keeps up with mario...

12. nope

nope Member

yes it does with a converter

13. OP
    OP
    KoroKoro

KoroKoro Member

What is this magic converter you speak of?

14. nope

nope Member

15. OP
    OP
    KoroKoro

KoroKoro Member

I think I'll pass...

But seriously, get that thing away from me...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018 at 1:05 AM
  16. nope

nope Member

so you dont know what that is yet you want to get into retro gaming? Are you just hooking up a older screen to a emulator or you've actually got consoles? Not much detail i cant help if i dont know what you're trying to do exactly, that said there is decent hardware outthere you didnt give a budget .

17. OP
    OP
    KoroKoro

KoroKoro Member

Also, I'm pretty sure I stated what systems and connectors. NES and N64 connected via HDMI. Every other system I have going through my XRGB3. Outputs DVI, for this purpose - same as HDMI.
    However, I am tapping out RGB from my gscartsw to my 2x large RGB monitors. Cant do that with HDMI.
    FYI i have all the consoles. It isn't really relevant. All I need is a low latency HDTV so my games will actually be playable. Heck, I can even tell in movies from the sound delay. Its a thing... which is why they have the sound delay settings in my onkyo receiver... Though doesn't help in games.

18. nope

nope Member

so you need something thats low latency? emulation is out i am guessing so just get a larger sony hd widescreen and run it in 4:3 mode low latency best picture quality
    [​IMG]
    unless you buy a expensive low latnecy mid-high end stand alone scaler you're gonna have issues with latency having right now...

19. OP
    OP
    KoroKoro

KoroKoro Member

Emulation is an impure sin. You should repent.
    I already said I'm using an XRGB3. It is a high end scaler. Line doubling mode is basically zero lag. scaling mode is 21.4ms due to frame buffer. Fast enough for pretty much any game. The problem is not the scaler. It's the display (Specifically the display controller).
    I also already pointed out that HD CRTs lag just as much as modern flat panel TVs. The issue is with shitty digital to analogue conversion and unnecessary post processing that can't be disabled.
    However that doesn't mean you can't have a fast HDTV. For example, you can get less than 1 frame of latency on a 2017 model TCL 55DP648. Unfortunately they are only available in USA, UK etc. They aren't even expensive. I have asked LG and TCL directly but they refuse to help me. They can't even sell me a TV form the current Australian lineup. Pathetic.

I don't understand why people find this so difficult to understand... This is doing my head in...

20. nope

nope Member

So you want something that doesnt exist? Good luck.

Low Latency screens dont really exist even the modern 244hz crap lags and needs shit like ulmb