Help connecting telly to home LAN via second NIC on HTPC

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by cicada, Jun 29, 2010.

1. cicada

cicada Member

Hi guys.

I want to use the second NIC in my Win 7 Pro HTPC to connect my Samsung telly to internet via my home LAN, so that I can use internet TV features of the telly. The PCs first interface is connected to a wallplate --> internal cabling --> upstairs gigbit switch ---> ADSL2 modem/router ---> internet.

I do not want to buy another switch or run more cabling back to my existing switch upstairs, as the internet TV feature is not that important to me to bother spending money. But if I can get it working with a simple patch cable between the telly and the HTPC then peachy!

The telly only offers the 4 basic manual TCP/IP settings: IP, Mask, Gateway, DNS. Or full auto/DHCP assigned.

Is this going to be possible and if so what is the best way to do it?
    Will a non-server flavor of windows route traffic between two interfaces like this?

I messed around with it for about an hour but could not get it to work. With my limited networking experience and my wifes need to watch Masterchef all the time I gave up for now.

I got the telly and PC connected no probs on a different subnet, and added a static route on my DSL router for this network via the PC's primary interface.

Print route on the HTPC seemed to show windows should know where to send everything but it just didn't seem to work.

The Telly could connect to gateway ok (PCs second NIC), but traffic did not seem to route between the two networks as far as I could tell from trace and ping tests.

I'll mess with it some more when I can get access to the telly again (damn masterchef crap that my wife wants to watch all the time) but maybe it's not going to be possible?

Anyone done this before? Any advice?
    Thanks for any help provided.

2. tin

tin Member

Bridging the 2 NICs would work, wouldn't it? is that still an option in 7 (I'm on a Ubuntu box ATM, and my laptop's in the car so can't check)?

Edit: Answer is yes 7 can still do it:
    http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/bridge-network-connections-in-windows-7/

Edit2: Then, assuming you're using DHCP for everything else, tell the TV to do the same. The HTPC will send the requests that come in one port back out the other.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  3. OP
    OP
    cicada

cicada Member

Thanks tin.

It can bridge yep, the option was there when I was messing around. I will try that tonight. Currently using static IP on most devices but DHCP is enabled on the router.

4. OP
    OP
    cicada

cicada Member

Bridging worked perfectly by the way. DHCP enabled on both PC and telly and away she went.

Thanks tin, appreciate your help.

And now I know what bridging does in Windows :)
    Always good to learn something new.