1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Help finding a decent garage CNC mill for PC mods.

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by Yuddy, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Yuddy

Yuddy Member

Not sure if this the right place for this topic, but I'm looking to up my PC modding game with custom acrylic distro plates and CNC cut aluminium panels.

Looking for a small bed under 700 x 700 roughly as I've only got a small footprint in the garage to house this thing. Could stretch to 1000 x 1000 I guess if its worth it.

Not sure if i should do an off the shelf purchase or diy job. Budget $1000-$2000.

Thanks in advance for all your knowledge. Not a CNC expert, beginner is more like it. Boilermaker background.

Cheers

2. aXis

aXis Member

I had a mate build a 1000x1000 using a mechanical kit from https://openbuilds.com/ Think lots of 2060 extrusions, and then he sourced his own stepper motors/drivers, spindle motor and VSD, and arduino controller.

The electronics involved are non trivial and I ended making a custom PCB to handle all of the interfacing and signal conditioning. The single to three phase VSD spindle put out a heap of electrical noise that interfered with the limit switches and took a long time to solve. The software has a steep learning curve too.

If you're not a CNC expect then expect a 6 - 12 month build and learning process from a kit. Off the shelf will be MUCH faster.

Yuddy likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Yuddy

Yuddy Member

Thanks for your in-depth reply.. got any recommendations on off the shelf?

4. tumutbound

tumutbound Member

Before I had to downsize :-(, I had a 6040 CNC router and an X-Carve. Both handled acylic and timber well and would cut aluminium if you were patient enough!
    X-Carve was a 1000x1000 and the table I made for it about 1200x1100. X-Carve parts were sourced from 3dtek.xyz in Sydney, much cheaper than from Inventables.
    Ditched the controller for the 6040 and made my own using Gecko stepper drivers.
    Wish I still had them.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    Yuddy likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Yuddy

Yuddy Member

I'll have a look at 3dtek thanks

6. spasninja

spasninja Member

Yuddy likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Yuddy

Yuddy Member

Where did you get the rails Steppers etc?

8. spasninja

spasninja Member

Ebay for everything pretty much, its been some years since I built this one so suppliers may have changed but there should be plenty of sellers out there the rails are SBR16 linear rails, motors were some larger nema 23/24 stepper motors like 387 oz-in (~2.7N.m) but if you plan to go chinese ballscrews (they are very cheap these days) something like a 270 oz-in (~1.9N.m) stepper motor is more than enough for a small machine (5mm ballscrews)

Aliexpress is also a good source for smaller bits and pieces, motor mounts, bearing blocks, belts and pulleys ect. just depends how much you really want to spend on parts vs making them yourself.

9. archie

archie Member

10. OP
    OP
    Yuddy

Yuddy Member

11. archie

archie Member

mine is a yr old now.
    he changed the cooling setup from a bucket to a top mounted coolant container
    he changed the parallel port interface to a USB one, swapped out the controller module.
    he did some extra earthing & added a kill switch on the front

in the end I dealt with them outside of Ali to save some $$ and paid direct via SWIFT.
    my friend had about half container coming with his soldering robot, pick & place machine etc so i just jumped in with him.
    I didn't see the machine pre-mods as it went to Perth first to my mate, then on a truck to me in SYD after the mods were done.

12. OP
    OP
    Yuddy

Yuddy Member

Seems quite big and will cost me a bundle to get here

13. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

I have a 6040 from Ebay, was not that much ($1400 including delivery about a year ago ) but a bit smaller than you want. It will handle pretty much anything you could need for a case mod except a full side panel. If space is limited just remember that the machines are a fair chunk larger than the bed size. (6040 machine is more like 100x70 + space for the controller and PC) .

The price jump from 6040 to 6090 is pretty large (sub 2K to ~4K for the same sort of machine), if you are budget limited maybe be forced to DIY if you need larger.

MPCNC is an option though I doubt Aluminum work would be very pleasant.
    https://www.v1engineering.com/specifications/

Thinking of doing something like the Low Rider 2 when I have a bigger place (for CNCing doors ect).

Yuddy likes this.
  14. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

this is an example of someone doing aluminium with the partially 3d printed home made cnc

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    Yuddy likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    Yuddy

Yuddy Member

Not bad, the 6040 is looking like a good recommendation atm.

16. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

is that the MPCNC or a different one? No Sound at work so not sure if they say in the video. My next project is to make a larger form factor CNC and just looking at all of the options (use small CNC to make Big CNC lol).

Yuddy likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    Yuddy

Yuddy Member

18. OP
    OP
    Yuddy

Yuddy Member

Just noticed you talked about it here. Was the electrical kit good as well?

19. OP
    OP
    Yuddy

Yuddy Member

And does anybody have any recommendations for the spindle. Like DeWalt or Makita?

20. aXis

aXis Member

I don't think he used their electrical kit, I think he sourced it elsewhere.

Using a commercially developed and tested package for the limit switches would save a heap of headaches. Even optical limit switch modules may be better if they have a decent output drive that allow the use of strong pull-ups/pull-downs.

I cant express strongly enough how much noise VFD's and stepper motor drivers make. Use shielding everywhere you can, good earthing techniques, and consider galvanic isolation on some circuits. No-one likes a job ruined 5 hours in because of a false signal somewhere.

Last edited: May 26, 2020 at 3:52 PM