Help in establish network Between 2 sites

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by bunny, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Foxster

Foxster Member

Depends on what kind of scalability you need really. If, for example, you were looking to add more sites in the near future then it might be better to spend a few extra dollars now to set yourself up with an internet connection with sufficient bandwidth and networking gear that can easily be configured to add additional VPN's, etc rather than buy cheap gear and then find that you have to replace the whole lot.

2. OP
    OP
    bunny

bunny Member

It is 2 medical centre, using a professional program that have database on
    site A, to make appointments, charting information and radiographs.

the database is around 100g, mostly due to digital image......
    I want to set it up so that when any computer opens up, it is able to see all 5 surgerys appointment book, and able to make appointment on the spot if require (lets say if site A is busy, can book in for site B and vice versa)
    I currently have 2 servers runing on both site, but it is pain to keep sending information up and down ..so if i intergrate it to 1, it save the hassle and we are in view to merge the two together in the future, so by saving all the database in 1 server now will save the heart ache in the future.

I think the private lan will be way too expensive for me...from the map both sites are within 600m of the southport exchange...so I think/hope the speed will be solid 10/10.......

Currently we have 1 server on each site, however the patient can go to either site A or site B, hence need transfering of information all the time....so it is annoying!!!!!

I think i won't be expending the sites...but thanks so much for the info foxster!

3. closed_gate

closed_gate Member

Correct, my thoughts exactly.

The easy solution (In past work I've done) is to have a router at both ends with a DC. The routers will work across the 10/10Mb point to each other giving you your network. Each site will hold user information replicated between the two DCs. users can log on at either site.

The software can be hosted at one site and shared across the two sites. I'm assuming your using Medical Director (as it seems to have the same functions you described) I can't remember if this runs as a web App though..

How does that sound?

4. Brett

Brett Member

Step 1: Talk to your PACS account manager.
    Step 2: Get in a professional.

5. OP
    OP
    bunny

bunny Member

Latest update.......I got the VPN tunnel setup using the two Vigor 2850.
    Site A: 192.168.1.XX, Site B: 192.168.2.XX.

Site B is able to Ping site A without any problems....upload speed is around
    650KByte/s...which is equiv to 5.8MBits/s (I'm doing testing run with 2 X NBN in the same apartment, not using the TPGs 10/10 connection yet, which has 5.6Mbits/second connection)

However when I just it to run the medical software, it takes a long time to load the appointment, patients chart. I suspect the problem with how the client software interact with the server side of thing....it is almost unbearable to use.....

(when you load appointment, it take 10 seconds, then another 10 seconds to go to next day..and anther 10 seconds to go into patients chart.....)

So I scratch my head long and head until i'm almost bold....Then I thought of using terminal server/remote desktop login to solve the problem......and it works perfectly....... I did small adjustment so i can have multiple remote login into a laptop in site A from site B (4 of the laptop from site B all login to a laptop in site A where the server is)......using http://vrcomputers-it-solutions.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/enable-multiple-concurrent-remote.html

And the program works smoothly without any problems (of course i need to over come small problems like how to make it so that printer at site B can print as now the laptop logins at site A)

In my view I guess it works because now the connection only need to display the desktop of laptop in site A, and most of the network intensive part is done all within site A's local network and VPN is only used to transfer the images over.......

What do you guys thinks of this situtation? Might there be better way of doing it?

And thanks everyone who inputted into this thread...it really helped me alot in setting up the network at my work and much appreciated!!!!!!

6. Foxster

Foxster Member

Terminal servers work well when there is too much data to transfer over a remote connection. Sounds like you're on the right track.

You might also want to look into printer redirection, this will allow you to print on a printer at Site B when connected to the terminal server at Site A.

7. lavi

lavi Member

din't see in your post but do you have line of sight? if so hello 1GbE :)
    It will cost a bit to setup but then no monthly costs which will be absorbed in the first year and half or so

8. chunksoul

chunksoul Member

no way he has line of sight

there is a shopping centre between the 2 sites

9. closed_gate

closed_gate Member

Even if he had line of site. at 1.2K's 1GbE would have to be OS-1 which would cost a lot more than a Lot. Plus, the transcievers which are $400+ each.