help installing

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by philquad, Feb 26, 2019.

1. philquad

philquad Member

macs, so im installing high sierra on a macbook 2009 ?
    i tried yosemite from a usb but said corrupted & pointed me to the apple store $$

dont even know how i found high sierra on the desktop but its installing.

but, im just playing as i have a ssd (tomorro) to go in it, is there a way to move the os on it now to the ssd as i dont have a disk & im a real mac dummy.

ps. i have a usb 1tb plugged into it as well,

2. Hater

Hater Member

go into the Applications folder. if you've previously downloaded a version of MacOS, the installer (Install OS X El Capitan, Install MacOS High Sierra, Install MacOS Majove etc depending on version) will be in the list of Applications.

download the installer from the app store for high sierra if you don't already have it. it doesn't cost anything, no macOS has cost money to upgrade in a decade or so now.

follow these instructions:

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201372

USB boot it (hold down option on boot to get to the boot screen) and select the MacOS installer USB.

unplug the 1TB HDD while installing.

edit: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-high-sierra/id1246284741?mt=12 click that and it'll take you directly to the High Sierra download.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  3. OP
    OP
    philquad

philquad Member

i think you missed the point sorry
    im installing sierra now, its 95% done
    but thats on the old drive, tomorro when this ssd turns up, i want to clone it to the ssd
    seems i can use disk utility to do this, i can put ssd in a usb caddy, then i can say clone the os to the ssd & then put ssd in the macbook ?

4. Hater

Hater Member

you'd put the SSD into the laptop, install whatever OS you're using, put the current HDD into the caddy and use migration assistant to migrate the HDD contents to the SSD

5. OP
    OP
    philquad

philquad Member

ar ok, but i want to clean install only the os onto the new ssd. high sierra just finished, frigging didnt clean install, all the craps still there
    ill try the app store? or maybe a new iso.

6. OP
    OP
    philquad

philquad Member

Hater thanks for da help
    i got into app store, found yosemite (i called it yos-e-mite ) its yo-sam-ite lol
    & im gunna d-l it, hoping it can go on usb drive & install from it with new ssd ?
    otherwise, getting a hi-sierra iso & using transmac i can burn it to a dl disk

7. Hater

Hater Member

I don't understand why you're trying to migrate anything if you want a clean install?

8. OP
    OP
    philquad

philquad Member

well i didnt have anything to clean install with
    i got a leopard ? dvd, it said it was too old, the dvd doesnt show on startup\ option key
    i have a iso\usb bootable of yosemite, its on the usb drive, again, it dont show on boot.
    i just grabbed a iso of sierra that i can burn to dvd, try that tomorrow.
    then i thought, ill just delete all the files then backup the os to usb & restore it to ssd tomoz ? but its 40gb, i hnfi lol

9. Hater

Hater Member

how have you created the bootable USB? just burning an ISO to DVD won't work. you need to use the createinstallmedia entry point as the 2009 uses UEFI booting

10. SpaceFrog

SpaceFrog Member

The corrupted message you are getting, is because the date is in the wrong range, use terminal to change the date. If your date is correct, then change the date to a year when the OS was released.

11. OP
    OP
    philquad

philquad Member

date right, yea i have transmac that opens the iso & burns it to dvd.
    finally backing up the mac drive to a external, external was in mbr, anyway thats just for fun,
    think i'll burn the new to a dual layer, i always stuff up with usb.

in this pic, transmac, do i burn whole iso or just the dmg file down lower ? maybe thats were im wrong.

Capture.JPG

12. Hater

Hater Member

Burning InstallESD to a DVD will result in a drinks coaster that you can't boot from. The official Apple documentation on how to create bootable media is linked above, if you're not willing to follow it then there isn't much anyone else can do.

damo13579 likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    philquad

philquad Member

Hater
    just 2 more & ill leave you alone

does booting the new drive through usb (not swapped it yet) cause slow boot time ?

& if it works ok through usb, it should be right when i put it in the mac ?
    i hope so

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  14. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

So it'll boot into OS X with all the crap on it ok? if so boot it up, plug in a usb stick, google Disk Maker X and get the high sierra version. Run it, point it at the installer app, then your usb stick, type the password and sit back. After it roars (signifying its finished), restart the machine with the usb plugged in, holding option. Choose the usb, let it start up (speed of stick will determine how long it takes, so be patient). Select English, then choose disk utility.

In the disk utility, find the macs main hard drive, highlight it and on the top bar, choose Erase. Name it, choose "Mac OS Extended (Journeled)" and "Guid Partition Scheme", and click erase. Once it completes quit disk utility.

Back on the recovery screen, choose "Install Mac OS High Sierra", choose the hard drive and sit back and wait for it to install. It'll go through several reboots, and may even do a firmware update. This bit scares quite a lot of people as the mac makes an obnoxious long beep, then a funky loading bar appears. Its normal. Eventually you'll be at the setup wizard, to create a new account, set up icloud, etc.

Did a friends machine the other day, he freaked out when the firmware update noise happened. I just told him to cool his jets, its normal, its just updating itself. :p

Yes you can boot from a usb drive, depending on the speed of the usb bridge (usb 3 ones are obviously faster), and the drive speed (the SSD will be quite snappy), it will be tolerable to quite quick. Swapping the drive in is easy peasy. Once you have installed it into the machine, you will simply need to hold option, and when the boot picker comes up, highlight the new SSD, and, holding control, click on it to set it as the default boot volume. From there startup will happen from the SSD.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019