Help me choose a new phone

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by lonewolf1983, May 8, 2021.

1. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

So my old iphone 6plus is now far too slow and crappy and im not entertwined into the Apple ecosystem so happy to look at the bang for buck android world.

Key things important to me
    • Bigger, responsive screen (90+ hz seems the standard)
    • enough grunt to run lightroom mobile, plus productivity apps (outlook, teams etc) as well as web browsing
    • Fast charge would be nice but not that critical
    • Priced below the $800 mark, and be wanting to keep for at least a few years
      Handy if it comes with a clear case in the box
    • 5G not really important at this point, if it takes off then with a cheaper phone i could just change phone at next cycle
    • Dual SIM
    • Good camera system would be welcome - am a photographer and be handy to use the phone instead of the bigger DSLR's now and again!
    Current options i've looked at

• Oneplus Nord - seems to get good reviews overall ($580 from HK)
    • Redmi note pro 10 - also seems to get good reviews ( $520 from HK)
    • Samsung S20 FE - Seems well regarded and a larger brand, but research indicates that some models in AU are the crappier samsung CPU? - not sure if its just incorrect marketing specs on the sites or not.
      (Local stock $700-800)
    Any other options i should look at?
    Thoughts?

2. doug81

doug81 Member

S20 FE is good if it has the SD865 chip, not so much if it's the Exynos 990 - and if you don't mind the Samsung OS (in which case the A52 isn't a bad phone for midrange performance, but the S20FE is better)

Nord isn't bad but isn't great, and OnePlus are struggling to keep up support of their phones after the first year so hard to recommend.

Redmi Note 10 Pro is OK, but I'd take a Poco X3 over that and they both have the SD732 chip.

I'd be checking out the Poco X3 Pro or Poco F3 - both have Band 28 which is good for Telstra/Optus 4G+. If you can find one with 8gb RAM within your price range I'd spend the extra few bucks to get it. I'd also get Nova Launcher Pro as it makes MIUI much better to use (do this for any Xiaomi phone you buy) and get gcam as this will improve the camera performance. You'll also want to follow the steps online to turn off the ads (not sure if you can turn off the Samsung ones or not without rooting).

Edit: Looks like you can get the Poco F3 8gb version on Banggood for about $520 so you should be able to find it for your budget no probs.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  3. OP
    OP
    lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Poco's camera doesnt seem as well rounded as some of the others, but thanks for the tips of gcam etc

OS wise its been a long time since i used any android OS so be starting from scratch really

4. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Have the poco x3 pro 8gb/256gb sitting in my cart on banggood for $328 at the moment. Still tossing up on whether to pull the trigger on it. The camera is a bit of a sticking point, not many of the cheaper 'china phones' review well on the camera.

5. OP
    OP
    lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

I ended up ordering a 2nd hand lightly used S20 FE 5G and decided to just suck up the lack of dual-sim
    local support was a plus vs warranty overseas and downtime without phone if there is an issue etc.

6. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Oppo would be worth adding to your list. :)

JSmith

7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Personally I would have gone with this also. Solid phone, solid software, price is reasonable and people seem happy with it with not too many complaints. Happy Samsung user here.

8. Privatteer

Privatteer Member

Too late now but fairly happy with Motorola XT-2055 I purchased about 6 months ago. (G8 Power)
    Available in Australia, dual sim. Only real issue I had was getting a case/screen protector was a bit harder.
    At the lower end of market but camera etc is reasonable.

9. power

power Member

also consider Nokias

pluses

clean OS with regular updates
    half decent specs
    cheap

downsides

meh cameras.

10. OP
    OP
    lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

the joys of not having a "perfect" phone i guess, pro's and con's to everything but amazing that even in the world we live in that there isnt one that suits your exact needs.

Anyway $500 for an as-new S20 FE 5G fit most of the bill, just waiting for it to arrive still then get to learning Android again after too long with Apple phones!

Last edited: May 21, 2021
  11. Raptor_Eye

Raptor_Eye Member

Look at the Pixel phones IMO, especially with the new Pixel 6's coming out soon.

Perhaps not the highest spec in terms of CPU/GPU/RAM, but longer support in terms of updates and a much better Camera then any of the other phones you mentioned.

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Cameras have come a long way from where they once were. I still have pictures taken from my earlier phones and they are horrendous. I think it's easy to be critical but the cameras these days are amazing and take fantastic shots overall.

BurningFeetMan likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

sorry i said camera when i meant phone :lol:
    But yeah when i was checking out reviews the differences seemed minimal, and anything will be an improvement over the apple 6plus camera!

MR CHILLED likes this.
  14. Lucifers Mentor

Lucifers Mentor Member

Doesn't the S20 FE have dual sim, with the second sim in the microsd card slot? In which case, you might not have to suck it up as much.

15. OP
    OP
    lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Disabled on australian models apparently :thumbdn:

16. Lucifers Mentor

Lucifers Mentor Member

....the hell? Thank you very much for that info - my sister was going to buy an FE today specifically because of the dual sim.

17. OP
    OP
    lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Havent confirmed myself as yet but thats what my research found originally

Lucifers Mentor likes this.
  18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

This is one thing I could never understand, I've bought dual sims in the past, S8 and S9 iirc, and all had to be sourced as grey imports because we don't do dual sims here. Just bizarre as it's such a useful thing to have.

19. OP
    OP
    lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Got the phone yesterday and can confirm only single SIM
    And yes it makes no sense at all and disappointing.

That said, the phone itself im impressed with so far.
    Obviously the many years since my Iphone 6plus was released things have moved forward a lot in regards to performance, pretty happy at the $500 it cost me

20. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Via OzBargain this morning $597 for the mint color only, i still have not upgraded from my LG G6 yet because i can't decide on it's replacement, too many phones out there, and i want a good camera, but don't want to spend more than $500, not bothered about 5G.

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop...g-galaxy-s20-fe-smartphone-128gb-red-s20fered

How much was your "as new" S20 FE 5G phone, and where did you buy it from if i may ask ?

Last edited: May 28, 2021