1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Help me choose cheapish turntables.

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by isaacisaacisaac, Feb 23, 2010.

1. isaacisaacisaac

isaacisaacisaac Member

Hey guys, Im just after some cheap turntables for mucking around with at home. I already have a Behringer BCD2000 and virtual dj 6. So could you recommend me some turntables. Could this be done for around 400 dollars?, I'm open to spend more but i would rather them sooner than later.

2. -Rift-

-Rift- Member

Second hand CDJ's are your best bet :thumbup:

3. OP
    OP
    isaacisaacisaac

isaacisaacisaac Member

Really i was thinking vinyl would be cheaper, guess ill have save abit more.

4. itachi46

itachi46 Member

nah vinyl are a pain to maintain too

5. OP
    OP
    isaacisaacisaac

isaacisaacisaac Member

Even if i have like a virtual vinyl set up?. Sorry im pretty un-educated about this lol

6. itachi46

itachi46 Member

ah time code? do you plan on having 1 turntable or 2? if one then yes you can do it for around 400 i'd get the numark tt1650 since its quite a decent turntable and doesnt cost a bomb like the technics. and its still direct drive so it takes less time to spin up.. (so they say anyways)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  7. OP
    OP
    isaacisaacisaac

isaacisaacisaac Member

Yep time code, well i do want 2 but ill just buy them 1 at a time. thanks for the help.

8. OP
    OP
    isaacisaacisaac

isaacisaacisaac Member

9. MikHail

MikHail Member

Yep, but it'll cost more than $400 for the Virtual Vinyl

10. itachi46

itachi46 Member

hmm i have no idea whata seperates these turntables apart... i used to think it was generally the stylus it came with.. which hardly matters if you're going to time code..

11. OP
    OP
    isaacisaacisaac

isaacisaacisaac Member

12. itachi46

itachi46 Member

yeh i'd get the numark if i was you.. dont really hear much of that other brand

13. OP
    OP
    isaacisaacisaac

isaacisaacisaac Member

Awesome, thanks mate.

14. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

OK.

The key to buying cheap decks; Get some with 4.5KG torque.

Reason : They all come out of the same factory, and they are all pretty good. Citronic do one, I think Gemini even do one based on the 'Super OEM' 4.5KG torque design.

I personally have 2 x Stanton ST-150, go em new all together for about $1300 IIRC. Bought 1 at a time. They come with a Stanton 680HP cart pre-mounted, win.

Also, I know they work well with the BCD2k, I used to have the BCD and 1 x TT for playing vinyl alongside digital stuff and it worked a treat.

Cheap turntables fucking suck so don't buy some cheap and nasty shit as you'll pay later.

15. Piroteknik

Piroteknik Member

Seriously, just go the good ones. i went the Technics 1210's and never looked back. didnt really have the money for them at the time and so i just saved. A mate got these horrible belt drive things, then sol them and gave up. He had a go on my 1210's, and ended up getting back into it, and bought a pair himself.

Other reasons to go the Technics are that they are industry standard. I find its like mixin at home when i have played in hotels/clubs before (Actually one night we used mine cause it was a private party for a friend, and the place where we were at only just opened again under new management and forgot to get some lol, we got discount)

In this industry, its a case of get the good stuff or you'll get no where. i too have a BCD 2000, that a mate and myself built a roadcase for, with inbuilt 500GB USB drive and 15" monitor. Thing is? After building that, we just use Turntables and Serato Scratch live lol anyway, and the roadcase is now kinda useless. (Intention was so we could be lazy at our own parties)

16. skeletorlolwut

skeletorlolwut Member

Turntables in the Musician forum? I kid!

Are you looking to mix or scratch? If you are mixing, go CD's. Vinyl just isn't worth it for mixing anymore. I mean it is awesome but that sort of goes out the window when you have to load your car up with 10 milk crates of records. Plus the cost of records as well is not fun, CD's are way cheaper.

If you are scratching the only way to go is Vinyl and you will need a good set of decks to scratch with or else the platter won't pick up when you start scratching.

DJing is not a cheap thing to get into. When I was scratching, it cost almost $3000 for a minimum setup. Plus replacing records and such when you wore them out, replacing needles when you wore them out, and just buying new records. The good things about technics turntables though, is you can sell them for as much as you bought them, such is what I did when I got over DJing.

17. narkotix

narkotix Member

i have seen stantons and numarks for around 200 a piece at cash converters although they are no sl-1200

still if your a casual dj they will do :)

18. DarkNation-

DarkNation- Member

If you are after a pair of turntables, I highly recommend tracking down a second hand pair of Numarks like the TT500s.
    Tech 12s (Technic 1200 and above) are pretty much considered the "go to" choice mainly because the bastards are built like tanks, not because they are the best all around. Generally they are a little sloppier than other brands and can be a lot more forgiving when mixing where as something like the Numark TT500s are very tight and precise, which gets reflected in your mixing once you get your head around them.
    I guess its really personal preference and what you want to do / what you want to mix.. Just don't be swayed by the people who tell you that you MUST have this certain mixer and THIS certain stylus.

Personally I use timecode vinyl over CDJs, just because I get more joy out of the tactile feel. I mix better on CDJs but wheres the fun in that! :D

19. DJ Fusion

DJ Fusion Member

Timecode vinyl is where it's at for me too. Gimme 2 x 1200s and Serato scratch live over a set of the latest CDJs anyday.

20. Yorick

Yorick Member

+1. Started with beat-up second hand 1200 and TTX running Mixxx and xwax, now run SSL and PDX-3000s.

I have a second-hand PDX-2300 Mk II Pro up for sale in the non-PC sale forum, would hear $400 for it. :) Hard to get a better TT for that money, match it with a PDX-2000 from eBay and Mixxx or Mixvibes...

But in general, yeah, Numark TT500 or TTX, American Audio HDT4.5, Vestax PDX-2000 Mk II, Technics 1200/1210 Mk Anything... Second hand is your best bet when starting out.