1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Help me decide - travel camera

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by bass87, Jul 9, 2012.

?

Which camera would you take backpacking RTW

Poll closed Aug 8, 2012.
  1. 5D mk ii

21 vote(s)
    47.7%
  2. 7D

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. G12

21 vote(s)
    47.7%
  1. WRC

WRC Member

Any of the small mirrorless systems is the way to go. I don't have a particular recommendation even though I own a NEX 7, because for 90% of people any of the current small format large sensor cameras will provide what you need whilst travelling.

My experience is the opposite of Azrael's. I can't be arsed carrying a big body and huge lumps of glass around when you can achieve close to the same image quality as a DSLR with a smaller format body. I've done the whole 1 series body + L series lenses on trips through Europe and trust me you will come to hate carrying the bloody things around. My current system with lens weighs less than any Canon body on it's own!

DSLRs are dead to me. I just don't see that the limited advantages (better AF) out weigh (pun intended) the disadvantages.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  2. ddhytz

ddhytz Member

+1.
    They are excellent travel cameras. I had a nex 5N in last trip, and didn't see any need for a DSLR.

3. bowds1122

bowds1122 Member

Yep, I did 6 weeks in Italy with a X100 and 5D2 and the Fuji was used 80%+ of the time..

4. OP
    OP
    bass87

bass87 Member

Wow, thanks guys, it's amazing what products are out there when your not actively searching. That X100 looks the goods, pity there wasn't one or two small lenses to make it a little more versitile, I'm having trouble getting that disadvantage past the missus.

I've started having a look around however it seems theres quite a number of m43 and similar bodies on the market, anyone have a top 3 or 5 to look at? I'm still going to keep the G12 or G1X in mind as I could pair it with my 430EX when I can be arsed taking it out at night, otherwise I will probably still take it and use the remote trigger if I get a non-canon.

5. fuller2002

fuller2002 Member

Look at the Olympus OMD (just out) and the X100 obviously :Pirate:

6. RnR

RnR Member

Have a look at www.mu-43.com for all things m43 related. Large sets of images there too.

7. Hi-tek

Hi-tek Member

8. Spacenoodle

Spacenoodle Member

First post, yay.

From my experience smaller is better and in a lot of ways more liberating. I always recommend against taking a ton of SLR gear on holiday. I can't count the amount of times my SLR stayed locked away in a hotel room because it was too big and too much of a pain in the ass to carry.

If you go SLR take a walk around zoom 24-105 would be ideal, and a fast prime.

Otherwise I would highly recommend the G12. Shoots RAW, compact, awesome IQ.

Or maybe take an S95 or S100 in conjunction with an SLR.

Remember the best camera is the one you have with you.

I found that at nights when I was out drinking and meeting people, carrying around a bigger camera just wasn't practical. Some of my best holiday snaps came from my $100 PS and my iPhone.

9. Scandrew

Scandrew Member

5d2 + 35mm f2

10. Dexash

Dexash Member

My suggestion is more of a question, and I'm a bit of a noob given I've only really been researching gear for a couple months now, so forgive me if this is stupid but.

If you're going to downgrade to a lighter body why not a 650D over a 7D?

From a quick side by side comparison they seem quite close in term of sensor size etc. The 650D is lighter and smaller still and would also leave you with more left over and be less of an investment should something happen to it.

Biggest difference I can see is the 7D (and I believe the 60D as well) has a faster shutter speed (1/8000), and quicker continuous shooting.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  11. iXeR0

iXeR0 Member

Really depends on the individual. I am one of those who doesn't mind carting heavy equipment around with me. Last trip I brought a D700 and D7000. One day I took the D7000 because I was going to be doing a lot of walking that day to I wanted to travel a bit lighter but when I saw the images that night I regretted it, and the rest of the trip it just sat there as my backup.

That said, I didn't stay in hostels and security wasn't a huge concern.

I have an OM-D, probably the best M43 camera right now and I don't think it's good enough to be the only camera I bring on a trip.

So yeah, lots of factors to take into consideration. I suppose it's more of which you'll regret more, not bringing the best camera you could have or having to carry it around.

12. Azrael

Azrael Member

I had a few mins today while waiting for my VAT refund forms so I played with a bunch of 4/3 gear at the Jessops flagship store here.

I think the big annoyance for me is the same as most of the compact cameras in composing through an LCD rather than through the eyepiece.
    Just much prefer composing through an eyepiece and the ergonomics of how you hold the camera like that rather than shooting with it a foot from your face.

13. Spacenoodle

Spacenoodle Member

Wow, really? From everything I have read it is a fantastic camera and I can't imagine being in may travel situations where I'd be missing out on something with a M43 that I would get with a DSLR. But I can imagine plenty of situations that are the other way around.

I mean, I went overseas in 2005 with a Canon S50, I think it had like 5MP. Those travel photos are still totally adequate.

Also OP should consider how conspicuous he's going to be. I went to some parts of central Asia where I wish I had a smaller camera.

14. lithos

lithos Member

Bone support, too. Camera's closer to your centre of gravity, which I find far, far more important. It's way more stable...plus there're a bunch of other reasons.

LCD washout in bright sunlight. A frame that fills your entire vision, and has instantaneous feedback and response.

15. macplus

macplus Member

Canon S100- take it anywhere in your pocket!

16. aurotaro

aurotaro Member

17. OP
    OP
    bass87

bass87 Member

I don't think the slight reduction in size is worth downgrading to an xxxD. No scroll wheel, grip isn't quite big enough, not enough info in the viewfinder, etc. I would prefer to stay with an xD series or drop right down to the size of a m43 or similar.

18. RnR

RnR Member

19. splbound

splbound Member

I have lugged around the 7D and 5DmkII + heavy lenses on too many trips and always wished for something smaller and lighter.

Problem is when I get home I am always thankful that I bothered, when I look at the quality of the pictures I get from them.

If I did want something smaller, I would go with the OM-D. Tried it out in store and liked it very much. Image quality from the review sites looks good to me. My few gripes for me is the slow switching from rear LCD viewfinder to EVF as well as the AF lag in lowish light. I guess it's quick for me for holiday snapshot use, but when you are used to the DSLR's, you notice.

7D and 5DmkII to me feels like they are the same size and weight. You may as well stick with the 5dMkII if you are picking between them unless you really need the FPS and AF.

I tried the G1X in store as well and it was too slow in operation for me.

So many choices, advantages and disadvantages... draw up a list on your priorities and work from there.

20. vindicator

vindicator Member