help me enable remote desktop

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by pongie, Oct 30, 2010.

1. pongie

pongie Member

I know I should of replaced my intermittent motherboard. Every time I fiddle with the graphic card I spend ages to get it to boot up. Luckily I haven't been touching it for a while. However, civ 5 forced me to replace them when my current graphic cards started to artefacts. Now I'm getting absolutely no display. I know it has booted fine into windows because my other pcs can see the network drives. But I'm unable to remote desktop into it. I thought I had enabled it, guess I haven't. Anyway to easily enable it? keyboard shortcuts? I'm running windows 7.

2. derek_gruending

derek_gruending Member

can you ping the computer name or IP address (assuming its static) that you're trying to remote desktop into?

3. zach

zach (Banned or Deleted)

If you can press windows + r then type
    or
    Might do the trick.
    Otherwise remote regedit

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  4. OP
    OP
    pongie

pongie Member

Yes I can ping the computer using the ip address, but not the computer name (weird).

will try what zach suggested now...

edit: Success and thank you! Turned off the pc and reset the graphic card and now there's display again. Really have to get that motherboard replaced.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  5. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Sometimes as easy as that - did you check the connectors on the gpu to make sure they arent dirty?

6. OP
    OP
    pongie

pongie Member

It's definitely the motherboard. I bought it here off another member and he said the same thing as well. I think either there is a crack where the connections ain't so good or the board is shorted against the case. I remember when I first got it, it would boot up fine on the table but as soon as I put it in the case it may not post or does but missing the display. Was driving me crazy.