Help me out with a plasma please

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Segression, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Segression

Segression Member

Hey guys I'm looking at grabbing a plasma to replace my crusty old 32" LCD, our lounge room is rather large and we are about 2-3m away from the tv where our recliners are. So I'm thinking a 50-55" should work, Ideally id like a 55" but my budget may not allow it.
    I'm looking at spending $1200 or less, but if I have to bump it to $1300 or $1400 if it's really needed I might be able to convince the fuhrer (wife)

Can anyone recommend a plasma that's got great picture quality in that price range , it will mainly be used for htpc and fta tv, some casual Xbox too.
    Not really interested in 3d but if it comes with 3d the wife might try it out, our receiver can do 3d.

From what I've seen panasonic make the best plasmas followed by Samsung .

2. Zee

Zee Member

How does a PS59D550 (Samsung 59" 3D - not superslim) for $1520 (deivered) sound?

Assuming you are in Sydney...

Z...

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  3. OP
    OP
    Segression

Segression Member

To me that sounds fantastic, great price for a great tv by the looks, But its quite over budget and the fuhrer would have be in auszwitz faster than shit in bulgaria

4. HumbleBum

HumbleBum Member

I got a Samsung 55nch LED 3D for $1700 picked up. With a extra pair of Glasses, Paid Cash. Saturday.

Any real reason for a plasma? The Samsung 55" LED is feature packed.

JB - Highpoint (Melb)

5. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

It's bigger, colour looks better, it's cheaper and it's delivered.

6. OP
    OP
    Segression

Segression Member

As ive said, id like to spend around $1200, And push it out to $1400 max if its really really worth it, $1700 is far too much, and as i have no interest in 3d at all, a second set of glasses is not a bonus to me at all.

7. Zee

Zee Member

Pretty much. I aslo think LED/LCD still suffers from off axis issues - I am probably just particularly susceptible to this, but it bugs me to hell. Plasma also tends to offer more uniform image lighting.

About $1050 will get you the 51" PS51D550 (Del Syd metro). You'll find 3D is standard on any TV worth having, so you don't really have a choice in that regard.

Z...

8. thecondor

thecondor Member

Go the Panasonic.

TH-P50UT30A

Should get it under $1200 at any jb and they will always knock more off for ya.

50" tv.

9. OP
    OP
    Segression

Segression Member

How much delivered to Wollongong?
    JB has same one for 1090, i guess after haggling id get it for $1090 delivered.
    Is it a good display?

@thecondor
    I was actually eyeing off this TV, thats kinda why i sent the $1200 budget
    How does it go vs the samsung above? I consistantly here panasonic > samsung for PLASMA (not that samsung arent great TVs)

10. thecondor

thecondor Member

I think the pana has darker blacks and is a generally better tv all around. But thats just my opinion. I not long ago used to sell tv's whilst at uni and always rathered the Panasonic over Samsung when buying plasma, generally had better build quality and picture quality.

11. ~Spyne~

~Spyne~ Member

If you're ONLY interested in PQ, then Pana > Sammy > LG

If you want to bring other features into it such as web browsing, usb playback/recording, price, then it's not so simple.

Typically Panas will be more expensive than Sammy, which in turn will be more expensive than LGs, for 'comparable' models.
    LG will tend to have more flexible playback of filetypes via usb, just better than Sammy and (from what I have recently found) quite a bit better than Pana.
    As far as internet browsers go, I know the Sammy D8000 has a completely open browser, as does the LG PZ950, whereas the Panas do not.

You've just got to find what ticks the boxes for you.
    In that budget, you could get an entry level Pana, entry-mid level Sammy or top-level LG (Harvey Norman had the PZ950 for $1399 on the weekend).
    Personally, I'd take the LG at that price because you're not comparing apples with apples, your comparing entry level Panas/Sammys with the top of the line LG.

12. HumbleBum

HumbleBum Member

My new sammy plays mkv via network and usb. Which I found pleasantly surprising.. I didnt like the menu system on the pana..

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  13. Cryogenic

Cryogenic News Monkey

Aren't these $999 at MYER at the moment?

14. Willis-

Willis- Member

You should be able to get one of the new Panasonic plasma's within your budget.

P50ST30A or P50UT30A should come in under $1400 and both have been getting very positive reviews. There are threads over at Whirlpool dedicated to pricing of these models (and the GT/VT models).

15. OP
    OP
    Segression

Segression Member

I just need the TV to display a great picture, i have no need for using it for internet, playback, usb junk (appart from possible firmware upgrades), 3d, Making coffee, i have numerous ipads, iphones, htpcs, consoles and a range of other electronics in the house that is setup to cater to my needs, i just need the TV to display a great picture =p, it only needs 1 hdmi input also as everything is run through my receiver. really not fussy on features =p.

I guess ill have a browse about in the shops, get some spec sheets and see what happens with some hard bargaining.

16. Willis-

Willis- Member

Go with Panasonic then. You should definitely be able to get the UT model under your budget and potentially the ST also with some haggling. Assuming you stick with 50"

17. dmguru

dmguru Member

Pana TH-P50ST30A $1424 at BillyGuyatts

http://www.billyguyatts.com.au/tv-video/plasma

Take that price to Good Guys and I reckon you will get $1400 delivered.

Other options, but Pana ST probably the best of reasonably priced.

The ST has the louvre filter over the UT (helps with reflections) and a few other features.

Pana TH-P50uT30A $1094

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  18. OP
    OP
    Segression

Segression Member

im not sure if i could get a price match from billy guyatts, i think they are only in victoria? Alot of places around here are pretty nazi with price matching. Some even wont price match if its out of like 10km radius from their store.
    Also appart from the anti reflective louver filter is there much difference between the UT and the ST models?
    We will mostly be watching it at night, and if the wife is watching it during the day, she can close the curtains

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  19. GTR27

GTR27 Member

Wow have that LG 60 inch for ~1200 this weekend

20. OP
    OP
    Segression

Segression Member

Im pretty sure im going to pick up one of the samsung 59" jobs now. the PS59D550, It seems to get decent reviews And if i cant take Zees offer i got bing lee to beat billy guyatt $1515 delivered . Talked my wife into the big screen, Pulled out the measuring tape and showed her how big it will be, then used some reverse psycology saying we may as well just get the 51" .. bam ..59 it was lol