Help me pick an ebook reader from this list!

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by Arch-Angel, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

Christmas shopping for my bookworm wifey!
    Thinking I'll get her an ebook reader, but would be handy if it played jpegs/PDFs/Word/other docs etc so that she can use if for study as well.

I'm tending to steer clear of the Kindle Fire for this reason, as well as the fact that it doesn't have an expansion slot.

All of these fit the price nicely - anything there that stands out?
    Not sure which version of Android I should be looking at...

http://www.dinodirect.com/se-typeid...2572&cur=aud&gclid=CKy5quTw8awCFYE3pAodNziZJA

Should also say that I'd like something that she can hold one handed (7" ish). We're having our first baby in January, so would be good to have something she can use for those midnight feeds... :)

2. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

Firstly congrats on your fertility, your life is about to irreversibly change! Lol, I laugh as I have 5 and 7 and am in the next stage ;)

Buy her an ipad. Kombiwife totally <3 <3 <3 her ipad which is a kindle, web browser, coles online grocery ordering device, look up various baby.net sites for advice on the suspected beubonicpnumoniastreptocillin infection just starting. (smile and wave boys, smile and wave!) , twitter, wordswithfriendsevilness, etc etc etc.

Sell a kidney, whatever- buy her an ipad. It's a chick thing, they love them.

n=1 ;)

3. ScrumpyJim

ScrumpyJim Member

or you could save money and get an android based tablet. the new models will be out soon which will be using the tegra 3.

4. wipeout

wipeout Member

If just reading books, the basic Kindle with e-ink screen is the goods.

For anything else, consider the B&N Nook Tablet instead of the Kindle Fire.

5. Dodoman

Dodoman Member

The Kindle Fire does what you need perfectly, however the lack of an expansion slot does suck. All the things combiman mentioned can be done on any android tablet. If you root the fire (one click program AFAIK), you can install the standard Android market.

The nook is a poor choice compared to the kindle fire, especially if you're reading books. The Amazon store has a wider range of choice compared to the B&N store.

Look for tablets running Honeycomb (3.0/3.1/3.2) or ICS (4.0). The kindle fire/nook are the exception since they run Gingerbread (2.3)

6. Gazob

Gazob Member

I think they are 2 different beasts, and with the $99 refurbed wifi keyboard kindles around at the moment you would be almost mad not to get one and work out what it doesnt do well, and then target a tablet down the track to fill that hole. For battery life alone an ipad, or android tablet doesnt come close to the kindle, tablets measured in hours, kindle measured in days, and the eink display is truly glorious. My wife has both an Ipad and a kindle and likes the equally well for their own purposes