Help me resurrect Sega Master System

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by aloysius, Oct 5, 2010.

1. aloysius

aloysius Member

When I tried to fire up my SMS it didnt seem to work. Ran through autotune on telly and it didnt pick anything up. Tried swapping out the power supply with a mates, and same with the rf switch. Nothing seemed to work.
    So I picked up a second hand one on Ebay for $40 delivered (with a few games I didnt already have too!) and have struck exactly the same thing. Is there any known issues with using SMS with newer TV's, does anyone know the frequency that they tune into? As there is no power indicator I have no idea if the two units even work.

I can test power supplies and will do as soon as I find my multimeter....

What else can I try?

2. Mau1wurf1977

Mau1wurf1977 (Banned or Deleted)

Use the composite instead :confused:

3. azron

azron Member

I was under the impression, well, to be honest, assumption, that newer flat panel LCD/Plasma TVs that had inbuilt tuners ONLY had Digital Tuners built into them... as such, I was awesomely shocked when I was trolling through my Bravia menus that I saw tuner type variable of either Digital or Analogue!!!

Well, didnt Super International Cricket get a thrashing when I discovered this!

So yeah, without knowing the brand/model of your TV, check the tuner.. does it actually support analogue signals?

4. BluBoy

BluBoy Member

TVs should still be fine with analogue...

When I tested mine a little while ago, I had to flip the switch on the back (There is a small square hole, and about an inch in, a switch which moves left/right).
    Take note of where that switch is now, and flip it.

That has something to do with tuning it to a area/zone/frequency which is acceptable (Depending on location/tv it'll only work with only one or the other)

Try that... The other issue I had was the RF cable was loose on the SM end. Try holding it in and pushing it sideways to ensure it is touching and rescan!
    (If you have the RF splitter, make sure that is all good as well)

Goodluck! Playing some of the old games is amazing and still heaps of fun!

5. OP
    OP
    aloysius

aloysius Member

Only available on SMS II with a modification. I am going to do this mod once I establish if the suckers are working or not.

Im pretty sure my orriginal SMS II (which is in the garage roof at moment) has this switch, however this new one I purchased does not have it at all. It has a sticker on the base with what looks like an Arial on it with TUV: 2 written on it...perhaps some models were locked to one chanel without that switch.
    If memory serves the switch selected Chanel 0 / 1.

Will grab other unit down out of roof tomorrow and check it out.

Teev has both tuners. I was only trying on the analogue tuner, didnt even bother with digital.

6. Mau1wurf1977

Hmm bugger...

Well I have one more suggestion.

If you have a VCR you can go through that...

So areal into the VCR, tune the VCR onto the Master System and then connect the VCR through composite into your TV!

7. OP
    OP
    aloysius

aloysius Member

Just cracked shits and jumped up in shed roof to get my original SMS II. It has the switch.

Interesting fact:
    My system:
    Serial 110013047
    Model 3006-03
    Made in China

Ebay System:
    Serial 230053963
    Model 3006-18A
    Made in Thailand

Thai Console has no chanel select switch.

8. OP
    OP
    aloysius

aloysius Member

9. Mau1wurf1977

There are always these "40 games in 1" type Master System machines.

Brazil is one market where they are still selling Sega consoles. There is more info on wikipedia.

There is version of the Mega Drive with 100 built in games. All pretty good as well!

10. Life_Essence

Life_Essence Member

looking at mine (Sega MegaDrive II) I have to select channel 36 and the channel switch to G (I is UK only).

OR if you have the New Zealand version you use either Channel 2 (H) or Channel 3 (L).

Hope this helps.

11. Alby1976

Alby1976 Member

I have read that the newer tvs have a blue screen if there is no signal, that can be turned off somewhere in the menu or set up of the tv and then you should be good to go.

Haven't tried this to verify, but remember seeing it on my tv.

12. Reaper

Reaper Member

Ok, I would try:

1. No cartridge inserted.
    2. Manual scan, not auto, then you can make sure you scan all frequencies as the auto may just scan the "television" band.

13. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Seconded. Older consoles tend to have a rather weak signal output for new TVs, and the "blue screen on no signal" option often overrides this.

If you have a CRT lying around (which all good retro gamers should), test on it first.

14. OP
    OP
    aloysius

aloysius Member

Have pulled old CRT out of shed tonight for this purpose. About to give it a crack and will report back...fingers crossed.

15. OP
    OP
    aloysius

aloysius Member

Succcess. I got the 3006-03 (AKMW) console working with CRT set to channel 0 on switch. Will try on LCD tomorrow night. Spent ages playing Miracle World and Shinobi tonight.

Now that this is achieved next job is my Space invaders cab...but thats for another thread.

16. elvis

CRT wins again!

Old displays for old consoles. The way it should be. :)

17. OP
    OP
    aloysius

aloysius Member

would have liked to get the other console working. Will try more tomorrow night. Might even just mod it to RCA plugs and see if it works off that.

The only CRT I own now is about 28cm...its tiny little jobbie. Might have to visit tip shop for a bigger one.

18. OP
    OP
    aloysius

aloysius Member

19. elvis

Make sure you read the section at the bottom about the S-Video amp. The mod I've done can cause issues on yellow/green screens without an amp.

20. OP
    OP
    aloysius

aloysius Member

I am only chasing RCA so not going to bother with SVID...thanks though. I did have a read through just for interest sake.

Cheers
    J