Help me ?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Lethal_Lynx, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Lethal_Lynx

Lethal_Lynx Member

I got this in an email,

University Electrical Safety Regulations require that regular inspection and testing of specified electrical equipment has been carried out. Earthed equipment needs to have been tested and tagged in the last 6 months. Double insulated items needs to have been tested and tagged in the last 12 months. Please ensure all your equipment is tagged accordingly. Untagged electrical items will not be allowed to be used. If you are using equipment from your school, perhaps it is correctly tagged. Please check.

I want to take me pc and so do 2 other mates .... so 6 power cords in total.
    Does this mean I need to get those little stickers on my power cord ?
    Were can I get this done ? How much does it cost ?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  2. kizzap

kizzap Member

it is only for specified equipment. I.e. stuff that is going to have a higher then normal current draw then usual i suspect. As far as I know, computers and fridges are not something that they generally worry about.

best option though is that you reply and ask them what equipment needs to be checked, etc.

if your computer does need some form of check all you would need to do is take it down to a local electritian or someone who can do that.

3. Dr feelgood

Dr feelgood Member

In most (I think all) educational institutions OHC require that all mains appliances (including leads) be tested and tagged. I had to have all my gear tested and tagged before It could be used at Monash. Tagging usually costs about $10 a tag and can be done by most Sparkies or Jims test and tag.

Hope this helps.

4. Sanzy

Sanzy Member

In ALL work places OH&S require all Electrical equipment to be tested and tagged.

I am actually accridited to do it. It was a 1 night course at TAFE and now if i have the meter and tags i could do it.

Any electrican should be able to do it for you. Otherwise if you have a traddie mate ask them who they have do it or see if you can get your machines done when they do their gear. Work cover make them do every power tool each month. ( alot don't but they do run a risk with work cover.) also things like power boards and ext leads need to be retagged after each use. basically once you have plugged it in then un plugged it you need to retag it.

Must say it makes for a boaring day at work just testing ext cords for the factories. we just bought a but load of cords and each month redo the lot of them ready for their next use.

5. OP
    OP
    Lethal_Lynx

Lethal_Lynx Member

Well, I dont know any electritions around brisbane .....
    Sounds like it is going to cost me $60 ! (I am taking three computers)

If any OCAU's are electrition's or have mates that are please PM me asap !

6. blakeyboysmith

blakeyboysmith Member

its ohS thing and if its in the workplace than you need to get a sparky to come in and get it sorted.

7. OP
    OP
    Lethal_Lynx

Lethal_Lynx Member

It isnt in the work place. I am a school student.
    I am going in the robocup junior comp, and this was an email I got.
    I am going to ask the school if they have 6 spare cables that are tested.

8. Dr feelgood

Dr feelgood Member

I was still required to have my gear tagged (P.A gear for a show) before I could plug it in at monash Uni, even thou I am not a student or employee. the tagging law applies because the uni is a workplace not a private residence.

9. Odje

Odje Member

I have spare cables at work that have been tagged within 12 months but the equipment needs to be tagged too, since the mains cable is removable.