[Help] Modding Z170 for 8th gen CPU

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Intermidne, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Intermidne

Intermidne New Member

Hey guys,
    I'm looking to mod my z170 motherboard for an i5 8600k.
    I have heard that this was doable and would like a cheaper way to upgrade from my current i5 6600k.
    Has anyone has much experience with doing this? Can anyone point me in the right direction? I know that you have to mod the bios for the motherboard, I've watched a video on YouTube about it and they had to also mod the CPU in order to run their 8700k.
    Is the effort worth it? If it's too advanced for me then I might just bite the bullet and get a new motherboard.

Thanks to anyone who can help or point me in the right direction!

2. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

As far as I recall it was only ever really done as a Proof of Concept type thing.

I dunno how well it would work for a daily driver, probably best just getting a new board to be honest.

3. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Motherboards are cheap and easy. I agree with self_slaughter, just buy a new board. You also get the added benefits (in most boards) of newer stuff like multiple M.2, USB C and 3.1, better RAM support, lots of pretty lights if you want it, and improved chipsets.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  4. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

Headin has done it, he showed me the volt mod required to run the 8600k when I had my VPUs delided. No idea how suitable it would be for a daily driver but good enough to bench with.

5. shane41

shane41 Member

6. DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

It is definitely worth it if you can find the right modded BIOS for your board and if you got a Z170 board with decent VRM.

Edit: If you are ever going to get a coffeelake CPU with revision of B0 instead of U0 or P0 you do not need to physically isolate and short the pads which most tutorial tell you to do as B0 is practically a Kabylake CPU.