1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Help needed for son with disability

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by RangerJapes, Jul 25, 2020.

1. RangerJapes

RangerJapes New Member

Hi guys, I am new here and am not sure if anyone can help but was told to post my question to the OCAU community by a local computer shop.
    I have a vision impaired son who uses a CCTV magnifier to see his book work in class. We have just been given a Clearview C but this model doesn’t have a camera which can point at the teacher’s face or whiteboard. It does however have HDMI IN port. Does anyone know of a camera we could use to plug in to the HDMI in port so he could change the Input Source when he needs to see the whiteboard? It would need to be on all the time I think, and possibly powered through the HDMI port to eliminate trip hazards with cables everywhere. Any advice would be appreciated. We’ve looked at webcams but the device has no operating system. Please help. I am happy to answer questions if you need more info.
    Thanks in advance,
    Japes.

2. D S

D S New Member

I'll take a punt here...

Quick Google found, i think, the manual that mentions switching inputs: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/981206/Optelec-Clear-View-C.html?page=14
    Apparently DSLRs (which often have HDMI out) can be used for streaming. Who knew! https://www.epiphan.com/blog/best-cameras-for-live-streaming/

Think it might be budget driven...

I wonder though, you said you've "been given" the device. Is there merit in going back to the provider and thanking them profusely while also explaining this model is a step down from what was previously used, and isn't entirely suitable for the purpose? I imagine it would potentially be a painful argument, but maybe one worth having.

Good luck!

elvis likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    RangerJapes

RangerJapes New Member

Thanks for your reply, It is definitely a budget thing for us. We cannot go back to the person who gave it to us. It was given to us by a great aunt who passed away. I was told that DSLRs only have a short battery life i.e.  1-1.5 hrs continuous use rather than the 6 hours needed for a full school day. Not sure if they would work.?
    Thanks though.

4. _zak

_zak Member

Having a quick look at the manual, it seems that there's an AC power output that might be useful. The camera doesn't have to be a DSLR - a secondhand point-and-shoot or action camera that has an HDMI output will work (if you can get your hands on a supported Canon camera, the alternative CHDK firmware may be something to look into). You could then use something like this IEC double adapter cable to get power for the camera so it can be charged during use if needed.

5. connico

connico Member

What are the requirements for the camera besides having a long battery life? Does it need optical zoom or will the clear view be used to zoom the image?

You can get a used gopro or equivalent camera that has live view via HDMI out. Note that you will need to convert HDMI mini to HDMI using a cable. The battery life can be extended using a USB battery pack. I'd get multiple battery packs and just swap them daily.

Plenty of used Gumtree cameras that will do the job with a little bit of know how. What's your location? Maybe someone can help you set it up locally?

6. OP
    OP
    RangerJapes

RangerJapes New Member

The clearview has zoom capabilities so he would just press the Source button and then should be able to Zoom. What is live view via HDMI? We are in Morayfield.

7. OP
    OP
    RangerJapes

RangerJapes New Member

I will look into canon cameras now. I have no idea what CHDK is or how to use it though.

8. connico

connico Member

Live view = what the camera sees live. HDMI is the cable that connects the camera to the Clearview device

GoPRO (any camera with live view) --> USB to HDMI adaptor --> HDMI cable --> Clear view

@OCAU QLD anyone willing to help RangerJapes in Morayfield???

9. OP
    OP
    RangerJapes

RangerJapes New Member

Thanks everyone who chose to have some input to finding a solution to this. We have been able to get a GoPro which live streams and cable. Also a power bank to charge as needed. We will test it tonight. Thanks for your help. You guys are very knowledgeable on this forum. I have been searching for answers on my own for weeks, you guys helped in days.

MUTMAN, jjjc_93 and Cape_Horn like this.
  10. connico

connico Member

Let us know how it goes and if any issues mate

11. bYrd

bYrd Member

Hi Japes,

A quick call to Vision Australia

https://www.visionaustralia.org/about-us/contact-us/queensland

... would be able to recommend the device that you need, along with other assistive technologies (is your son on NDIS?)

https://shop.visionaustralia.org/shop/product/pearl-text-speech-camera-openbook

... this is an example of a mid range camera to speech device, there are also some free apps that do similar things but not as responsively. Expensive, but keep in mind similar devices were $20K a few years ago!

Good luck

JB

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020 at 4:37 PM
  12. OP
    OP
    RangerJapes

RangerJapes New Member

We are having some issues. Maybe someone can help?
    1. The GoPro we bought is supposed to live stream. However it seems to only be through the app to Facebook or YouTube both of which aren’t viable in a classroom setting. Anyone know how to bypass this so we can use it as an external camera source?
    2. It keeps asking for a microSD card. Is this necessary even if you are not interested in recording the video?
    3. The CCTV source button doesn’t seem to be able to pick up that there is a camera attached.
    I feel like I just wasted a heap of money.

13. connico

connico Member

Which GoPro version did you buy?

SD isn't necessary for live view only for recording.

How are you connecting the camera to the CCTV?

14. OP
    OP
    RangerJapes

RangerJapes New Member

We bought a GoPro 7 Black.
    Micro HDMI TO HDMI male/male connection cable.
    Also bought a microSDXC card today. Couldn’t get it to work with the cable.
    We’re looking into using the preview mode on the app.
    thanks

15. connico

connico Member

instructions are... Turn off camera, plug in HDMI, turn on camera. Screen will go black and you get live view

No app required to get live preview. New firmware does cause a big of delay.. so if you havnt updated the firmware dont

Regards