Help - no hdmi output.

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Gunna, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Gunna

Gunna Member

Old set up:

LG lx9500 Tv
    Pioneer VSX-520

All devices would connect to pioneer then I had hdmi out to the LG.

The hdmi ports on the TV died so now I have a Samsung 55Q60R qled TV. I cannot get the output from the Pioneer to show video, it says no signal. I have tested the hdmi cables direct from blu-ray player to TV and they work. The hdmi flashes on the Pioneer for a bit then stops.

My other concern is that the TV now has the netflix app over using an Apple TV through the pioneer, what's the best way to get sound through the receiver when watching Netflix? The optical out option from the TV seems hit and miss when it comes to free to air channels, some need the receiver on volume 42 while others need it jacked to 60.thus makes changing channels and issues.

Any suggestions on fixing the Pioneer or suggestions on another setup to use that doesn't break the bank?

Edit: at the moment I only have the sub, central speaker and front speakers set up, still need to wall mount my 2 rear speakers

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  2. Pugs

Pugs Member

How old is the pioneer??

sound from tv to amp is easy either optical or coaxial output

3. OP
    OP
    Gunna

Gunna Member

About 8 years old.

As me tioned the issue with optical out is that channel 7 needs a volume of say 42 then 10 needs volume of 60. Netflix needs a volume of 20 so it isn't consistent

4. Pugs

Pugs Member

I would say time for a new amp

hippyhippy likes this.
  5. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

I've never experienced such volume inconsistencies, that's really odd, maybe look at the audio processing of both your TV and receiver. Optical or coaxial digital should be fine (although it's not unheard of for some TVs to only pass stereo back down via that method, so it may be down-sampled).

I'd suggest a new AVR as it's a fairly basic model anyway. Other methods would be to extract the audio of the HDMI going into the TV, however then you have the issue of having to do so for each input, or if your TV has ARC then you should be able to just extract it from that one cable.

6. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Maybe a HDCP issue... you could try a cheap HDMI splitter that ignores HDCP, which many do by default.

JSmith