1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Help required from Geeks with posh phones

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by LinksysDude, Dec 17, 2009.

1. LinksysDude

LinksysDude Member

We provide an alarm and camera monitoring platform to security installers worldwide and every so often I have to investigate what mobile phones people are using and how our recorded JPeg images display on those phones from our intentionally simple mobile phone interface.

It is not possible for us to build an interface for each device, so we have to try and strike a balance between older, small screen phones logging in via a 38K GPRS connection and our geeky customers logging in with their iPhones and Blackberries.

Conscious of limited bandwidth requirements, we currently display the list of images for the last alarm event as thumbnails with the idea that the user clicks to enlarge the thumbnail. It sounds lazy, but that is often 1 extra click that some people do not want to make.

If any of you geeky kids out there have time to log into our platform and have a look, I'd appreciate your feedback on how it looks and what you would suggest for improvement for your particular brand of phone.

The URL is http://www.ipalarms.net/cell.aspx and you can use ID: 1 and Password: dem0 (that's a zero not the letter 0) to log in.

Questions I need to answer are:

1. Is the list of events and list of thumbnails too simple ?
    2. What percentage of your screen do the thumbnalis cover and what percentage does the full size image cover.
    3. Do the larger 640x480 images display OK ?
    4. Could you get Live View to work ?

Oh, the main login for computer browsers is http://www.ipalarms.net/login.aspx - you can use the same login credentials and it would be interesting to hear if the full interface is workable on any of the new mobile devices. My Blackberry 7100 just doesn't cut it :(

Thanks in Advance for any help you can offer. :D

2. HumbleBum

HumbleBum Member

Phone: Blackberry Bold 9000

Results: Didnt login.. page resets to logon screen.

3. OP
    OP
    LinksysDude

LinksysDude Member

Damn. That'll be because your phone doesn't accept Cookies. I have no idea how other sites get around security issues.

I will quickly make some changes so that cookies are not used. Perhaps you can try again tomorrow.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  4. shift6

shift6 Member

Phone: Nokia E66
    Notes: Only used portrait viewing, did not use landscape viewing. Used Opera Mobile Browser.

Difficult question to answer for me. If it was a purchased product...to me it does seem just slightly on the 'tacky' side, but I definitely understand where you're coming from with bandwidth concerns. Definitely usable and easy to navigate though.

Going a bit more into depth...I'm sure the main menu; once attached with a small logo at the top will be fine. Upon viewing the different zones; I'm not a fan of the black borders appearing and I would probably personally prefer them to be aligned to the centre

2. What percentage of your screen do the thumbnalis cover and what percentage does the full size image cover.
    About 1/6 of the screen; with the "Burglary Alarm Zone 7" displaying two pics before having to scroll down for more.

They worked just fine for me.

Unfortunately, I could not.

5. OP
    OP
    LinksysDude

LinksysDude Member

Hey - really appreciate your comments. Interesting how your phone accepted the cookies. I wonder whether the iPhone will ? - Not that it matters, I am in the process of removing them.

Live view is going to be real tricky as the most popular camera, Axis, only support Active X. The Sony one uses Java, so I was a little more hopeful with that one. Problem is, the demo Sony cam is out of service quite a lot. They are not our cameras, they are just unprotected cameras that are available for public viewing.

6. jhunt31

jhunt31 Member

It is very simple, however that can be a good thing as you can quickly navigate to it and not have to wait years for pages to load.
    I took some screenshots on my HTC Magic. This is at the normal zoom level, you can still zoom in and out heaps to view in more/less detail.

[​IMG]
    Click to view gallery!

Yep, on my phone I can zoom in and out to view them easily.
    Nope. It doesn't load anything except the 'back' text.. The page is automatically refreshing, however I guess it doesn't display the image because it requires ActiveX (?)

7. nexx

nexx Member

HTC Touch Diamond II, running Opera Mobile 9.7

Landscape mode:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Portait Mode:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I found the list on the main page a little small (3.2" screen here) and I had to zoom in more to touch the link I wanted.
    I also had the full-size images open in a new tab, which I found annoying, since I cant hit "Back". I have to close the new tab. Not sure how non-tabbed browsers handle it.
    Also, at one point (it may have timed out or something?) I was taken to the non-mobile login page when clicking a link. I'd chosen not save login details when I first logged in.

8. MiGiSHu

MiGiSHu Member

Montreal, Canada ePenis Size: Whoppingly Large
    HTC Hero:

Works perfectly fine, looks exactly like nexx's

I think the thumbs should look a little larger (maybe twice the size), and maybe the menu could be centered with a bit more space between each link (for people with large thumbs and tiny screens), but otherwise everything looks great.

9. OP
    OP
    LinksysDude

LinksysDude Member

Guys,

You have been very helpful. Much appreciated.

I'm really surprised at the size of some of your screens and I'm now wondering whether I should drop support from the crappy little screens that most people have had up until now.

I was thinking of getting rid of the thumbnails and displaying the full size image immediately, but now I've seen the screenshots, I think the suggestion to double the size of the thumbnail makes good sense.

I'm out of the office today, but will get back onto this asap and let you know when I've made some changes.

10. DeNs

DeNs Member

Nokia E63 running Opera Mini

1) Event list is fine - it doesn't seem like something that needs to be any more complicated than it is. Possibly linking to the individual image with a small number after the area could be handy on mobiles. E.g:

Burglary Alarm Zone 7 - Cam 1,2,3

Where the Cam number is, could be a link directly to the images. Just a thought.

2) Thumbnails cover about 50% width, 75% height.
    3) Larger images are fine, no problem with having to scroll around (320x240 screen afaik)
    4) Sort of - I managed to get one image to come up for "Axis (Req ActiveX)" and Stuttgart Airport when I clicked the Back link on the page but it doesn't load like you would expect it to - it just sits there waiting for the image to load. So I guess the answer really is "No" as it's not really showing it live, properly.

---dens

11. dean_is_not

dean_is_not Member

Tried it on my Nokia 5800 (640x360 px) Everything works fine in the mobile view, Live view is fine. The phone makes it fit nicely, but it can still be zoomed in on. The full website works fine except for live view, which just doesn't show the pictures.

12. OP
    OP
    LinksysDude

LinksysDude Member

I like it :thumbup:

It has gone onto my TODO list.

13. OP
    OP
    LinksysDude

LinksysDude Member

I've been giving this some thought and discussed it with others today. To my knowledge, IP Cameras provide us with basically 3 different technologies:

1. Still image jpeg
    2. Java
    3. Active X

Although Java and Active X provide us with real time video, they will not be supported on all phones.

I'm guessing that Active X will only work on phones with Windows Mobile and I'm really not sure if any phones support Java.

So, the only technology that is gauranteed to work on every phone is jpeg. My plan is to have a window that refreshes every X number of seconds where the referesh rate can be changed by the user to suit the bandwidth of their phone. I think one frame per second will be acceptable to all but the most demanding of users.

I will also include the option to use Active X or Java where real time viewing is essential.

There is another technology called 3GPP/ISMA that uses RTSP and is optimised for viewing by mobile phones. Worth looking into.

14. dean_is_not

dean_is_not Member

Considered flash maybe? I know my past few phones have had no problem with flash video, ie. youtube.

15. millers

millers Member

flash currently doesnt work on the iphone i believe

iPhone 3GS with OS 3.1.2
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

be default the pages are zoomed out quite a long way and i need to zoom in a lot to click on any links.
    if it times out i get taken to the pc login instead of the cell login.
    the activex live views dont seem to work at all. the StartDot XL 3MP will refresh the page but doesnt show a pic