Help required in Sydney - Australian Computer Museum Society

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by nigwil008, Jul 28, 2018.

1. matz

matz Member

2. matz

matz Member

Here's just a couple of the oddities I stumbled across:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

macplus likes this.
  3. matz

matz Member

You might be surprised what treasures can be found in said junkyards....

[​IMG]

I must have at least 20 big box games from that storeroom, after finding this I searched almost every box.

adz and clonex like this.
  4. sean0118

sean0118 Member

Any updates on what's happening with the bulk of it? I have no space, but could volunteer some time to help move some of it (if there's somewhere to move it to). :(

5. matz

matz Member

No idea, I'll probably drop in on them tomorrow and see how things are progressing.

6. sean0118

sean0118 Member

Those are some nice saves matz. :thumbup:

I swung past today for awhile, they have finished loading the first container and there's more coming during the week. Which will be stored until a new building can be found, but it'll require lots of work to pack it all up in time. :(

7. ohayes

ohayes Member

Matz you didn’t see any Amigas did you mate? I asked one of their members and he said they didn’t have any...

8. matz

matz Member

Yeah I swung by very briefly as well, might have seen you, were you wearing the amp hour shirt? They’ve actually made good progress since I was there last at least on the documentation room.

Yep got an Amiga or two I think, maybe a 2000 and something else, haven’t unpacked everything yet.

9. sean0118

sean0118 Member

Yep that was me. :D

Yep they've made good progress with the documentation, but there's still so many large items, reel to reel tape drives and even parts of an EAI 8881. There's so many CRT monitors too, I hope they work out a way to pack them all safely.

10. matz

matz Member

Thought I recognised you, good podcast! Anyway I was enroute to elsewhere so couldn’t stay long. Certainly a lot more people out there today than last weekend, so perhaps there is some hope.

11. ohayes

ohayes Member

Might go have a looksee and see if there is anything else being uncovered...

12. mrgareth

mrgareth Member

Wow that's really good - that's a hard one to track down! This whole thing is extremely confusing - are they "on loan" until they can move to their new warehouse, were they free or did you have to buy them from them? I'm getting mixed signals from various people who are a part of the society :(

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  13. decryption

decryption Member

You'd think these hot shit tech startups could be convinced to give 0.01% to an effort to preserve the history of the industry that they proclaim to love and is making them so wealthy.

elvis likes this.
  14. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

I have a garage with space and can store items. I will check out their FB page now.

MUTMAN likes this.
  15. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

I see an IBM Model M...

16. power

power Member

elvis and MUTMAN like this.
  17. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

Just got back from a trip out to the warehouse - they're making some progress, and with a shipping container or two it will be done no doubt. I helped clear out a rack which was basically stacked with old tables, and there are certainly a lot of empty boxes now. The 'big iron' room is a worry, as there are maybe 30 or so minicomputers that need to be moved, which won't be much fun.

They've also finally started checking ID, and keeping a better record of who's coming and going. The taking of items at the start of the process has also been lamented, but I guess a lot of it was consumer-oriented computers that are easier to shift, and maybe less important to Australia's computing heritage.

On my own account, I have brought home a 4WD load's worth (only up to the windows though), and will see if I can go back and carry on tomorrow as well. I'll put up some pics when I get a chance to go through it, they'd like pictures of what people take too. I'll clean it up, and prepare to store it carefully for the estimated 2 years before they'll be asking for it back!

flain, Phido, power and 6 others like this.
  18. dacow

dacow Member

Good to hear JidaiGeki and matz for helping out!

Not sure if anyone saw this, but they made the front page of The Register

19. sean0118

sean0118 Member

20. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

I feel sad that I’m not in Sydney to offer some sort of physical assistance with this. (She who must be obeyed permitting) I would give up my bay in the garage for some big iron and fill an unused cupboard with smaller stuff
    I also feel sad that it looks like it lacks any sort of organisation.

fredhoon and macplus like this.