1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Help! Samsung 980 Pro not detected in windows 10!

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Newbie12, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Newbie12

Newbie12 Member

So I got a brand new 980 Pro, and install it; BIOS or UEFI detects it so I installed it correctly, I go to boot into windows to clone the RAID1 setup to this newly installed NVME M.2 drive so that I wouldn't need to reinstall windows and everything else but neither windows disk management, device manager, samsung data migration (which was gonna be used for the cloning process) or samsung magician detects the drive.

I google for a bit and someone mentions it could be in the storage space and if it is delete it and try it again and if it's not install the drivers for it. I google the drivers and drivers for the 980 Pro doesn't exist on the samsung site.

Another site mentions uninstalling the SATA ACHI storage drivers from device manager and rebooting but that didn't work.

I also have no idea why windows doesn't detect the drive either. I flashed BIOS to the latest version thinking that might fix it, nope.

Any ideas?

2. luke o

luke o Member

So it's detected and shows up in BIOS?

Click start type disk management and open that up...

Should see some that says Disk 0, Disk 1 etc.

Likely you'll have a Disk 1 that's 900 odd GB (1TB with rounding) that is 'unallocated' or blank. Right click and create a volume e.g. a D:\ or E:\ and then right click and format it...

Just make sure you take backups of anything important in case you accidentally format the wrong hard disk if you have multiple disks installed... data loss is on you! No warranty with my advice.

3. luke o

luke o Member

Failing that would probably need to know full specs, you might be on the right track as some motherboards use third party SATA/M.2 chipsets that need drivers to work.

4. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

Does your board share chipset lanes for the M.2 and SATA ports? Many boards disable the M.2 if specific SATA ports are used. Please post system specs and all relevant information that may help next time.

5. OP
    OP
    Newbie12

Newbie12 Member

yeah

Does not show in disk management:
    [​IMG]

Checked manufacturer site and their own live updater program nothing:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It doesn't mention it so I assume no? Board is the Asrock x570m Pro4, what else you need?

6. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

In your NVMe configuration in BIOS, does it say anything out of the ordinary?

7. luke o

luke o Member

Yeh interesting, had a look at the manual for the Asrock x570m Pro4 looks like an interesting config where you can actually use all 8 SATA ports and it doesn't disable the second M.2 slot. Neat!

Doesn't help with your issue though. Open Device Manager and see if there are any yellow exclamation marks anywhere or any unknown devices missing drives despite what the ASRock tool says.

You should have something like this:
    upload_2021-10-21_19-41-30.png

8. OP
    OP
    Newbie12

Newbie12 Member

[​IMG]
    Sorry if the shot is bad in any way, I don't see NVME configuration besides it showing up here. What about these?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Only other options regarding NVME SSD. Hmm, maybe enabling RAID mode might work here since the SATA drives are in RAID unless you can have both running at the sametime; SATA in RAID mode whilst NVME in nomal AHCI mode or non-RAID mode? Or both needs to be in RAID mode for them to both be detected in windows?

I presume it's rare for a motherboard to supply both M.2 slots and SATA ports operation at the sametime, when it's usually one or the other or less of the other and not all?

[​IMG]
    This is what mine looks like.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  9. wwwww

wwwww Member

Go to Power Shell

Type

Get-PhysicalDisk

show the output here

10. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

Can you arrow down to the Samsung SSD and hit enter? Or is it just a static list?

You do not need to enable NVMe RAID.

11. OP
    OP
    Newbie12

Newbie12 Member

This is with NVME RAID disabled:
    [​IMG]

And this is with it enabled:
    [​IMG]

Is this what you're looking for?

I can't, it's just static.

If I don't, why does it show with wwwww's command and when it's disabled, it doesn't show at all?

Interestingly with it enabled, it doesn't show up on the list anymore:
    [​IMG]

On an unrelated note, would you guys happen to know why the computer would black screen whenever it restarts? Like it goes to restart but just before restarting, nothing happens as it needed me to press the reset button to make it reset like with the old windows 98 and 95 computers where they would tell you "It's now time to safely turn off your PC" screen except mine is just a blank black screen with nothing saying "It's now safe to press the reset button on your PC case" text?

12. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

Yeah your BIOS sounds kinda broken to me lol.

13. OP
    OP
    Newbie12

Newbie12 Member

Ok an update for ya'll since you guys seem keen on what's happening so far.... After mucking around for hours and days, long story short, I've come to a conclusion the only way to make it work is to enable NVME RAID. The end. :lol::p

If you want the details scroll on down....

It works (for some reasons Samsung Magician shows non-pro version...):
    [​IMG]
    And with that I can't do anything through this utility:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So that means I can't invoke the TRIM command to clean up the drive, not that it matters since windows 10 does that automatically after each delete anyways, so it's only effective on windows 7 where it doesn't do it automatically. And I also won't be able to bench it using this program either...but I know another program I bench with to verify I didn't get a normal 980 since that's what Magician is reporting to me as....

Anyways, it shows in Disk Management:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I named it "Pro?" with a question mark because I wasn't sure if it was really a pro or just a normal 980...since a 980...
    [​IMG]
    ...is (significantly) different to a 980 Pro....
    [​IMG]

Ok, so here's the bench program I was talking about earlier, seems to be a 980 Pro (although that claimed 7GB/s sequential read speed isn't even close but the sequential write was....):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Above is the IOPS benched, Samsung claims 1 million IOPS for random reads and writes, the closest to one million figure I see is for random 4K reads which is only 100k.... False advertising?

[​IMG]
    Here's the latency for each test. Is that nano seconds unit or micro seconds unit? I always keep getting them mixed up. I remember reading someone's SSD review where they say IOPS is only good if paired with a latency figure. And not many manufacturer even lists the latency for the IOPS they claim it makes. So, using this drive as an example, a one million IOPS looks good on paper but is that one million done in seconds, milliseconds, microseconds or nanoseconds? And how many seconds? If in nanoseconds, that's an awesome spec! If in seconds well....that's kinda slow for a (is it "a" or "an"? An sounds better but "s" is not a vowel...) SSD....

That's using a 64GiB test file. Here's a 1Gib test file bench:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a 16MiB test file bench, the smallest option there is (64GiB is the largest):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    HMm.... What do you guys reckon?

Anyways, after benching the blank drive I was able to clone the RAID1 array to the Samsung 980 Pro without a hiccup using the Samsung's data migration software.

System boots up using the SSD as boot and disconnecting the RAID1 setup fine, loads into desktop in under 10 seconds compared to like 5 minutes on the HDD.... Had trouble wiping the RAID1 boot sector with diskpart(there was a bcdedit option method I thought of but the last time I downloaded a GUI program to edit that, I got a virus that deleted every exe file except ones to do with windows(And I don't think AVG even detected the virus at the time...).... Of course there was command line option method but that looks like too daunting just to change the boot options......) because the UEFI would always boot to the RAID1 install first and not the SSD even if selecting the other boot options (also obscure) so I had to physically disconnect and remove the two drives from their bays, chuck it in an external enclosure and zero the drive from there and then put it back into RAID1 and then use it as a storage drive.

And yeah... I still would like to fix the black screen restart issue though as my lil sis uses the computer, not me and I hate to leave things half arsed... i looked up some solutions and one mentioned I should disable the fast shutdown option in power options but that just made it not shut down properly, so gave that a black screen when shutdown. Restarting issue still not fixed...so had to turn that back on. Shutdown now shuts down properly and not a black screen where the monitor just goes into sleep mode. The other was clearing the CMOS. I forgot the steps, so will probably have to look that up again.

That guy who mentioned clearing the CMOS did say it sounded like a corrupt BIOS as well! But I flashed it to the latest version so shouldn't happen? Unless the latest version is corrupt itself? Or is my BIOS chip defective?

This guy reckons its to do with power managrement in bios: https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitor-sleep-mode-on-restart.11874/post-85935
    EDIT: Update - cleared out the CMOS using the battery method here: https://www.maketecheasier.com/how-to-reset-cmos-and-why/ and did not fix the restart issue. I guess the motherboard is boned and would need to RMA to fix it....

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  14. luke o

luke o Member

Just circling back to this one, can see in one of your screenshots in PowerShell that both drives appear but both are tagged with AMD-RAID. Basically you have the RAID option available in your BIOS so Windows won't let you have the disks initialize separately you have to run them in a JBOD (just a bunch of disks) array.

This guy talks about it:
    https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/raid-0-nvme-w10-fresh-install-raid-drivers/m-p/437222

Not sure it's really worth fixing, upto you. The AMD-RAID option writes stuff to the disks boot records, you have to disable that option in your BIOS and clean full format the drives (using a USB boot stick usually into either Windows or Linux would do the trick).

davros123 likes this.
  15. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Weird.

Samsung Magician from my PC if it helps - with 2 x 980 Pros in it.
    (using the Microsoft driver, 2 separate drives)

upload_2021-10-29_13-52-49.png

upload_2021-10-29_13-52-35.png

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
  16. davros123

davros123 Member

Yep. Done this myself way back.
    You "accidentally" had raid on in the bios when you originally installed windows/your first drive. Now, the bios has it as a raid array with one disk. If you turn of raid, your OS disk will no longer boot.
    You can not have your OS boot unless you are in raid mode. To add another, separate disk on this same controller it too has to be a raid (in this case of 1 disk)...so not really raid at all but yeah.

17. OP
    OP
    Newbie12

Newbie12 Member

Nah it's alright thanks anyways.
    Do you have one that's in RAID mode and the other in non-RAID mode? Because that's what I was trying to do. Except instead of two 980 pros, its two 3TB drives in RAID1 and the 980 pro in non-RAID mode.
    Well...I didn't "accidentally" had it on RAID mode when I install windows, I intentionally had it on so I could RAID the two 3TB drives when I built it.... But my lil sis wanted a faster boot time than 5 minutes so she bought herself a 980 pro because it was advertised as the best and fastest and had far cry 6 as a bonus and told me "Here, install it." and I'm like "Okay.....this shouldn't take long...just like joining LEGO pieces together. and cloning the boot drive and then cleaning up the old RAID1 array so that can be used as a storage drive instead of the boot drive.."

18. davros123

davros123 Member

And so begins all good PC journeys!

Spyder6052 likes this.
  19. bob05

bob05 Member

I had some problems getting my 980 pro to work, I found out the lane speed was on auto instead of gen 4, not sure what bios you have, mine is asus.