Help: So my Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 XR DI AF died a couple days into my holiday :(

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Julz, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Julz

Julz Member

My brand new purchased Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 died whilst on my 2nd or 3rd day on holidays in New Zealand. Well actually it was the autofocus that died - would just try to focus from close to infinity without a lock. Strange thing is that I don't know why it stopped working. Was shooting some landscapes on a tripod, moved a few meters to take another shot and the AF screwed up. Contacts were clean and no signs of damage. Ended up having to used manual focus for the remainder of the trip. Turned out to be ok though as I learnt a lot about how to focus and even taught my gf how to use my camera and lens in MF mode.

What should I do? I paid on gold AMEX which has 60 or 90 days protection and I bought it towards the end of October so its still covered. I could return it under its 12 months manufacturer's warranty but no doubt it'll take ages to get repaired and I have no 'spare' lens while it gets repaired. Do you think I could get a refund?

Cheers

Julian

2. tangcla

tangcla Member

Refund is hard, do you think you could try to push for an on-the-spot replacement? Either way it seems unlikely, because they will want to test the lens first to make sure it is a warranty-covered fault etc. etc.

But at least you have the comfort of the goldcard warranty ;)

3. systemdown

systemdown Member

Sucks that it died, but maybe you're lucky it did now rather than say 13 months after you bought it. I really hope it's an isolated fault, 'cause I just ordered the same lens yesterday - by all accounts it should be a fantastic lens and I'm sure you'd agree (well before yours died).

4. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Don't think the AMEX will do shit for you, you received the goods in a legitimate transaction...

Have you contacted who sold it to you, its usually good practice to do this before starting threads on forums.

-Lachie

5. tangcla

tangcla Member

Gold cards offer extended warranties, so it might not be totally useless.

6. OP
    OP
    Julz

Julz Member

Yeah i called them today and I'm going to take it in tomorrow. They said it maybe possible to swap it on the spot (but I bought the last one a month ago so not sure if they got more in).

I'll let you know how it goes.

7. OP
    OP
    Julz

Julz Member

Seems that gold credit cards do NOT have purchase protection. Only gold charge cards have it :(

The camera shop are sending my lens away and said it could take ~4 weeks :(
    No lens for christmas photos :upset:

8. wakko

wakko Member

Aw... that's bad luck... oh well.. time to dig out the ol nifty fifty then eh? :) that'll make for some nice shots :)