Help with 3D Printer - filament stuck inside

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by cyrax83, Jan 29, 2019.

1. cyrax83

cyrax83 Member

Hi all,

Need a bit of help. I have a Fibrikator Mini 1.5 given to me by a friend.

There is some PLA filament stuck in the nozzle.

I took out the nozzle to replace it, but turns out the PLA is actually stuck in the extractor. I removed the bowden tube, then tried heating up the nozzle to 190-210 degrees and cramming sewing needles as hard as I could (holding it with some pliers) to try get the PLA unstuck. Unfortunately no go and the sowing needle has broken inside.

Is there any way to chemically dissolve the PLA? If not I don't know what else to do.

See here for pictures

20190129_011155.jpg 20190129_010948.jpg 20190129_012925.jpg

2. peetah

peetah Member

Not familiar with that particular printer but the heat-break should be replaceable.
    https://e3d-online.dozuki.com/Guide/V6+Assembly/6?lang=en
    https://d17kynu4zpq5hy.cloudfront.net/igi/e3d-online/laNSM6HtsIEYQkn3.medium
    This is for an e3d v6 hot end but I would imagine the principle is the same for this type of printer.

Another alternative is to try a "cold pull" which is more or less what you were trying to do with needles but with a higher heat tolerant filament and pulling the debris up and out the top. If the previous user was using PLA only then ABS should work. If the clog consists of ABS then you might need nylon as the following URL describes.
    https://www.antonmansson.com/how-to-cold-pull-clogged-nozzle/
    Not sure how this will go with the now broken needle but worth a shot.

3. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

Give acetone a go for dissolving the PLA. I did that to my original nozzle on my delta printer. Filled a shot glass with acetone and dropped it in overnight.

In the long run you will need to replace it so might as well order some now.

4. bYrd

bYrd Member

You can dissolve PLA in acetone, assuming you can get the nozzle out.

5. SimParadox

SimParadox Member

I remember Makers Muse saying that acetone works with ABS but not PLA. It was some other chemical that he repeatedly warned was extremely dangerous that had to be used for PLA.

pinchies likes this.
  6. mtma

mtma Member

Is it an e3d all-metal? (or copy)

You can take the fan off the heat break, assemble it improperly with the heat block up against the aluminium part (but if it needs to go up the second section of threads it probably won't so don't force it) and heat up the entire metal segment. You need about 160 degrees or so* for the PLA to soften, then you should be able to push the whole blob out. You might find that it's easiest to push the blob out from the nozzle side, because there's a section near the top of the heat break that widens up, and that seems to be where your plastic has blobbed, causing the jam.

What might have happened is that the stainless heat break was not installed home to the aluminium heat-sink, or loosened off over time. The stainless heat break is supposed to be rather thin where the 'break' is, so be gentle when doing anything with it. If the plastic is sticking it together then your only option will be heat and patience.

Or buy an e3d genuine replacement.

* cooler the better, transitioning PLA is gummy and given the right conditions will peel itself off whole, which is convenient.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  7. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

No you can't.

@OP, you could try disabling the cooling fan for the block and slowly heat it up and then try and extract the PLA that way.

8. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Alternatively and probably better is to completely disassemble the hot end and buy a new heat break.

9. OP
    OP
    cyrax83

cyrax83 Member

Ok guys, I can report back. I managed to get the PLA out of the hot end assembly by jamming a screw driver and hammering it out. Pictures attached.

I thought all was great until I found out that the Bowden tube does not fit inside (I understand the tube should go all the way through to the nozzle). On closer inspection there is still PLA stuck on the edges inside the hot end assembly (the metallic spiral thing) which I can't get out so I think it's fubared and I've given up.

I looked into buying a new assembly but it's no longer sold as this is a discontinued product (Fabrikator Mini v1)

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-mini-fabrikator-3d-printer-v1-0-spare-parts-hot-end.html

Does anyone know a third party assembly I could buy? It looks like I need the hot end and the Heat Break.

Or if it's too costly I may give up on the whole thing and just buy a new 3D Printer in the future

edit: I did find this listing for $70 which sounds like too much (considering a much better printer would cost me less than $300?)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/e3d-v6-...=item3d81b118a0:g:tkwAAOSw8P9bQYz5:rk:97:pf:0

766dafdb-3847-42d1-a4ff-9b05ce6b0e38.jpg c221a511-47da-49c7-96c4-4666e6764605.jpg 3fb439cb-b3e3-4783-8589-7438d920d2a1.jpg 35cf9415-3da6-4b6d-86ca-67b114b3c4cd.jpg

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  10. mtma

mtma Member

It's an E3D V6 compatible hot end. Aside from the original e3d produced ones, there are numerous compatible copies of varying quality, however the problems with the copies are similarly variable.

There's two kinds of E3D V6, the 'lite' which the bowden tube goes all the way down to the head, or the 'all-metal' where the section where the hot melty business end is, is meant to be completely metal. The all-metal end is moreso for high temp filaments (250 degree plus) where flouropolymers become dysfunctional.

11. OP
    OP
    cyrax83

cyrax83 Member

Thanks for the reply. Is there a decent cheap one you could recommend for a beginner?

Found this one for $21

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3D-Prin...=item4d706a50b3:g:xpMAAOSwAQBauMPU:rk:26:pf:0

12. mtma

mtma Member

I will have to defer to others as I have no direct experience with the copy ends.

13. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

14. cojcx

cojcx Member

I have a knockoff hotend, and it's been alright. I think it will get you by especially as a beginner.

Also, make sure you get the correct voltage fan and heater for your printer (if you're also ordering those)

15. OP
    OP
    cyrax83

cyrax83 Member

16. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Looks OK? Paying a premium for AU stock....

17. OP
    OP
    cyrax83

cyrax83 Member

18. mtma

mtma Member

Fingers crossed they'll ship it before CNY shuts down everything, otherwise it will be another week on top.

19. rainwulf

rainwulf Member

Hit it with a gas torch. Anything plastic will burn up.