Help with Anycubic i3 Mega 3D Printer, Please

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by BelowAverageIQ, Jun 28, 2020.

1. BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

Hi crew, hoping I can get some help, please. Purchased an Anycubic i3 Mega here on the forsale forums.

Been looked after and is in good condition. Transported it home in one piece. Set it up and went to print a test cube. Came out all squishy.

Levelled the bed (well I have followed youtube after youtube video and read up on bed levelling), I think it is level.

Print a test sequence for the centre and four corners. It appears the extruder zozzle is pushing the extruded filament aside, when filling in the base squares.

It has stock firmware 1.1.0. I understand there is a modified firmware available (Marlin Ai3m 1.1.9) which can help with meshing of bed height points.

I have ordered a new Anycubic bed, new filament and a spare hot end (it has one already).

Not sure how old the current filament is. Printer is setup where there is no drafts and fairly constant temperature.

I have adjusted the bed height, higher and the print gets too squishy, I have adjusted the bed temperature as well as the hotend temp.

Pictures below were at 60 degrees bed and 200 degrees nozzle. Tried above and below those temps, nothing changes.

The seller has been great, working with me over the phone trying to get it sorted. My son really wants to print terrain etc. for his miniatures and missus wants stuff printed for her cricut machine.

Do we cut our losses and get something else full price locally, with full warranty and support?

https://www.jaycar.com.au/creality-dual-filament-3d-printer-cr-x/p/TL4410

Maybe sell this to someone for spares or that has the expertise to narrow down the issue(s).

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  2. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

My first thought is the slicer has been set to 3mm instead of 1.75mm filament.

Upgrading to 1.1.9 is fairly easy but it would be a good idea to have a play with firmware outside of the printer first before uploading anything to the printer.

3. OP
    OP
    BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

Thanks mate for the suggestion. As you can probably tell, I am very new to this. Currently using Ultimaker Cura. Imported a file from thingverse, checked the printer settings were correct and coverted the file to g.code ensuring the filament was PLA, extruder temp 200, bed 60 and filament 1.75mm.

Will see how that goes.

Really appreciate your help and post. Thank you.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  4. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

It's pushing more filament through the hot-end than it thinks it is

Look up any flow rate settings in both cura/whatever slicer you're using and any options on the printer. Make sure they're set to 100%, there are cases where you might want to go over or under and it might have been set funny there.

Look up how to calibrate extruder steps (e-steps), could be that your extruder stepping is out of whack - your gcode tells the extruder to send 10mm through but in reality it sends 12mm.

I wouldn't suspect it but I'd also change the nozzle out if you can, over extrusion can happen sometimes with a clogged or old nozzle, filament backs up in the hotend until enough pressure builds up and it blows the load. But your prints look consistent enough that this wouldn't be the case.

5. OP
    OP
    BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

Hi .Radiant thanks for the post. I had a look at the machine as well as the software. They were at 100% from what I could tell. I did not see a calibration option for the extruder.

We do have a new hot section and nozzle here, I can change out. Might be worthwhile when the new filament arrives.

Other than that, considering selling with all the new parts ordered from Anycubic and someone with a greater knowledge and time would be able to work on it.

I am considering other NEW printer options from Creality through to Prusa. Prusa seems to have excellent reviews and results. But not sure $1600 is the best decision for something they will probably get some use initially and then the requirements for printing will drop off. So many options and so many mixed reviews on Creality etc.

Here is a new cube I printed after again checking bed level, settings on the printer and in slicer. Certainly not anywhere near acceptable.

Cheers

[​IMG]

6. m3k

m3k Member

man thats horrible- are u free to do a call over skype or discord or something if you have free time i can probably help you fix this- you shoulden't need a new printer for terrain the mega is pretty good. just needs some love.

it looks to me like your firmware settings are wrong- but id go through a checklist over voice because there is far toomuch wrong with these prints to get you to send picture after picture as we iron them out

just looks like its over-extruding and the zheight is too tall

so very over-extruding- and id recommend getting an opaque filament to diagnose layer inconsistencies better
    your first layer looks good though so you have that going for you.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  7. OP
    OP
    BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

Hey m3k thanks for the offer. Really appreciate it. I did notice that the extruder knocks or makes a clunking sound when feeding the filament. The mount, is secure but not tight. It can be moved. Here are some pictures. I did find a video to tighten the screw holding the brass gear, which appears to be slipping. I have also purchased the Anycubic -S extruder upgrade kit as well. If I can get this to print reliably and good quality prints I would be happy. Also happy to sell it with all the NEW extras and buy something new. Maybe Creality Ender 5 pro?

Cheers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. OP
    OP
    BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

9. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

10. OP
    OP
    BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

Thanks .Radiant. The second or third picture on that web page looks exactly what the printing looks like! Looks like I have the tools to do the job. Might change over to the new extruder first and then calibrate it (saves doing in twice?).

What software is the best/simplest to use for the calibrating as well as updating the firmware? Current firmware is stock 1.1.0 I tried installing the latest firmware from Anycubic and it stills shows the same 1.1.0 not sure why its not updating it?

Thank you ALL so MUCH for your help, suggestions and time. Greatly appreciated.

P.S. Currently using Ultimaker Cura 4.6.1 to install the firmware and it didnt work. Site suggests the following for calibration "Simplify 3D, Pronterface, Repetier Host, and OctoPrint".

11. m3k

m3k Member

i would not use that guide infact- id just find the steps per MM from the manufacturer firmware. and tune my slicer extrusion multiplier.

updating the firmware is just one step- the EEPROM probably has wrong steps per mm value- so id revert the firmware to default- and clear the eeprom

the manufacturer any cubic carefully release the steps per MM- Keep in mind- tuning it yourself can cause bigger issues down the line- For example when you change the nozzle temp it can make the filament flow easier- and endup with less compression- or if your printing too cool you could be skipping steps because your not melting filament- then you would over compensate by adding more steps per MM- This is probably what the last owner did

12. OP
    OP
    BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

Hi m3k what is the best way to reflash the firmware and clear the EEPROM? Downloaded the latest firmware, but it didnt stick.

Cheers

BIQ

13. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

Use pronterface or reptier host to talk to the printer directly with Gcode

m3k likes this.
  14. m3k

m3k Member

woops forgot to hit send on my mesasge- yes repetier host is good. there is even an eeprom editor for marlin/repetier firmware built in gives u a cute GUI

15. OP
    OP
    BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

Hi guys, with your help and assistance I was able to get a good print. New filament, new extruder (-S version), update with "latest" anycubic firmware and new hot end here is the result:

[​IMG]

Looks to need to some fine tuning with the slicer/printer settings, but VERY happy with the result. Thank you.

pinchies, m3k and Agg like this.
  16. OP
    OP
    BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

Hi guys, just printing a sharpie adaptor for the wife's cricut machine. Its is basically a cylinder. One point of the "base" didnt adhere too well and lifted a little bit. Using Cura, how can I get it to drop the nozzle a little bit when printing in the centre of the plate? The plate is a little concave in the centre.

Cheers

17. m3k

m3k Member

look into printing a brim with 0.05 gap perhaps also heat the bed up 5 c hotter

also congrats on the good print!

18. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

increase first layer thickness, or as above print a brim.

clean the ultrabase with alcohol as well, but only when cold.

m3k likes this.
  19. m3k

m3k Member

ive found 50/50 alcohol mixed with water being the best- Water will take away sugary and waterbased resedue and PVA - Alcohol will get rid of grease and oils

20. OP
    OP
    BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

Awesome! Thanks for the replies guys. Been doing as suggested and the printer hasnt stopped all afternoon and evening. The print list for my wife and son is getting bigger. In fact, son is printing some terrain now. Looks great. Really glad the new parts helped and your input, put it all together. Thanks again.

Cheers

pinchies, CQGLHyperion and m3k like this.