1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with Dual SIMs

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by infiltraitor, Sep 3, 2021.

1. infiltraitor

infiltraitor Member

Hey guys, I have a new starter at work who has been given a work phone and now they are complaining that they will have to carry two phones around.

Originally i thought that the second service would get calls and texts etc as normal but there would be a little note to say it was for SIM1 or SIM2 but after some googling I have found that might not be the case.

The info i found says the following:
    When one mobile service is being used, the second service becomes inactive. This means you can only receive calls and texts or use data on one service at a time. Call forwarding can be set up so you don't miss any calls when either service is inactive (additional costs may apply).

If that is the case, am I just better off setting up call forwarding on one of their phones and leave that in their desk?
    or is there a way for them to receive/send calls and texts from both SIMs simultaneously?
    They currently have a Samsung s10 as a personal phone and a Samsung s20 FE as the work mobile. (neither do dual SIM or e-SIM) so i would still have find a phone in the company that does some form of Dual SIM or order a new phone.

2. tobes

tobes Member

Newer iPhones allow full use of each SIM for SMS and phone calls you can pick which SIM is used for the connection.
    BUT..
    I would just encourage the guy to embrace the two phones. Full separation of work/home is not possible with a dual SIM phone. Start talking about MDM and locking down the phone because it has work details on it and perhaps they'll change their mind...

supasaiyan likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    infiltraitor

infiltraitor Member

Thank you, tobes, It's good to know that newer iPhones do dual SIM properly

We do have an MDM that we use to track/wipe lost devices etc and restrict what apps are installed.
    Plus we have a policy that says all work devices have to be handed back in the instance of extended leave so i dont know why anyone would want to use their work mobile as a personal device

I have a work and personal phone and have DND schedules set so I know that carrying two phones is possible and a better option that just having one with two SIMs, just need to convince this person of that.

4. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

depends on the phone, but every dual SIM phone i've used (3 or 4) allowed for use of both SIMs for calls/SMS simultaneously

on the SIM screen for messages, you can usually select which SIM the message will send from, and also see which SIM the message was sent to

for calls and data, you have a default SIM, but can usually switch pretty easily

5. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

That's not full DSA actually... only DSS;
    https://www.gsmarena.com/glossary.php3?term=dual-sim

JSmith

infiltraitor likes this.