Help with M.2 via PCIE Adapter

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by StreekG, Jun 2, 2020.

1. StreekG

StreekG Member

Hi guys,

Hoping someone can assist with an issue i'm having. It has me stumped.

I run an X99 chipset with an i7 6850K (40 pcie lanes)
    My mobo has only a single M.2 slot (MSI X99a Gaming Pro Carbon)

In the quest for more storage (Steam Library) and no cables i bought this Orico PCIE Nvme adapter
    https://www.orico.me/product/orico-m-2-nvme-to-pci-e-3-0-x4-expansion-card-psm2/

I installed my spare WD Nvme black drive onto the pcie adapter card and did a quick GPT format. Everything still ok.

The problem i've come across is that the SSD always seems to disappear on reboot. However, if i perform a cold boot, there she is. Everytime i restart windows it disappears. Turn it off and then cold boot again, no problem.

Have i done something wrong here? Is this normal for PCIE hard drives, do i just cold boot every time??

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  2. Renza

Renza Member

have you tried a different slot? It does sound odd. I have mine installed on a similar card on my Z77 board and have zero issues

3. OP
    OP
    StreekG

StreekG Member

I'll try swap the PCIE slot, i used the second one as its right under the graphics card and you cannot see it unless you have your head lower than it, so it was ideal.

4. OP
    OP
    StreekG

StreekG Member

So I changed to the bottom PCIE slot and the problem remains. I also did a firmware update on the Nvme drive.

5. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Can you try a different PCIe adaptor and see if it's related to that?

6. OP
    OP
    StreekG

StreekG Member

Hey yeah that is my only thought now. Whether i I go with the same one again or just try a different brand. This one being so small was ideal for me as it's barely noticeable in the case.

7. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

8. OP
    OP
    StreekG

StreekG Member

Thanks sammy_b0i
    I ended up buying a Silverstone branded one today as the startech has a red pcb which i didn't really want in the case. I can now confirm that the Orico one is faulty. Multiple reboots and the SSD still shows up, no need to do a cold boot.

I had a feeling something was wrong with it, the Orico one had this lip on the silver case bracket which made it hard to push into the PCIE Slot. IT was hitting the onboard sound card enclosure and was awkward to install so it never sat inside the PCIE slot as nice as it should have, i did make sure it was pushed in properly but it was not an ideal experience.

The weirdest part is that i took the Orico one back to Centrecom and they gave it to the tech guy to test and he came back saying he doesn't have an SSD to test it with, so here i am back home with the Orico one and no refund. I know it's faulty so when i have time in the next week i'll take a drive with me and show them.

9. pksw

pksw Member

Maybe that card has some weird power management setting, where windows fast shutdown does not allow it to be found on restart. Do you have another OS, or can you see if it works by forcing windows to do an old fashioned shutdown? (Hold shift key and click shutdown)