Help with odd 4xGTX580 build!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by fredster, Nov 18, 2012.

1. fredster

fredster Member

hi there,

I'm looking to setup the cheapest option for:

4 x gtx 580 3gb
    mobo that can hold 4 x gtx 580s
    cpu just good enough to run latest 3ds max without trouble
    24gb ram
    cheap keyboard + mouse & what ever other essentials I need
    2 or 3tb hdd
    PSU to run the above (I have a 1200w, but I assume that's not enough) - should I get 2 PSUs?
    no monitor

the important part is that it can hold over sized gtx 580, the thickest one is a 1 cm thicker than the standard 2 slots

and help would be much appreciated.
    what's the lowest I'd have to pay?

thanks.

2. jebusv20

jebusv20 Member

hey mate, any specific reason you are planning on going 4 x 580? More info on the build and its purpose will help.

3. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

You're going to have to custom build a case to make a CUDA farm with 580's, using your own mounting bracket for the cards and pcie extention ribbons for the cards to the motherboard itself. Go with any 4way X58/X79 board. Be aware unless you know all 4 work together you may need a custom bios from the manufacturer to remove the boot bios on the gpus.

You'd be building your own case, or using it on a bench. This is the most expensive/time consuming part.

Or you can watercool them all and make it all fit in ANY ATX case (CM 690 or similar for dual rads).

The EVGA/Antec 1200W Should be fine for 4.

jebusv20: Kepler is about half the performance of Fermi when it comes to this kind of shit/precision :p

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  4. CoHmodderSolo

CoHmodderSolo Member

Won the lottery?

AMD would probably be the cheapest option with a 990FX board supporting 4-way SLI and CrossfireX paired with a Phenom II Quad Core or FX series CPUs.

5. SiriusDragon

SiriusDragon Member

that is a very odd build.

more info on what it's going to be used for would be a great help to work out what parts you need... plus i'm just curious :p

6. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

But they struggle against even the cheaper i5's for 3ds <:

7. OP
    OP
    fredster

fredster Member

this is for gpu rendering, the GTX580 is about 20% faster than the GTX680 and it has the most ram @ 3gb of the fermi based cards, only cuda cards will work

this is not a SLI setup, this is not used for gaming, the cards are not attached to each other, just the mobo itself

so they will not fit directly on the mobo then?

so I have the 4 cards sitting in an external casing of sorts, where would I find such a thing? they don't have such cases ready made?

I don't have much experience with hardware, I just know what parts I need :)

I have 3x GTX 580s 3gbs so far and they're all different makes, still looking for a couple more if anyone has any ideas :) I have a system with 2 in them at the moment, theoretically it fits a third, but the cards are too thick so it only fits 2 atm :( that's why I want to build another simple comp to hold the mini gpu farm, ideally a system that could hold even more cards like 8 would be ideal

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  8. proffesso

proffesso Member

9. Muchoman1

Muchoman1 Member

If you watercool 580s, they become single slot cards, so with a 7 pcie slot mobo, like proffesso linked, it is possible to run all 7 in a standard case :thumbup:

10. crocodaVe

crocodaVe Member

The PCIE's are pretty close Mucho. I've tested spaces using 3x 580's and ended up spreading them out on the blue slots using that board.

Click to view full size!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  11. Muchoman1

Muchoman1 Member

Yeah, use aquacomputer blocks, they make a 7 way manifold so you can have the cards in a single slot each, only works with wc though :thumbup:

12. SiriusDragon

SiriusDragon Member

i get the impression that one or more of the 580s are non-ref designs (ie. more than 2 slots), in which case watercooling is impossible :(

infact running all 4 of them on a board WITHOUT pci-e extenders would be impossible.

this is why i hate non-2 slot coolers :(

13. crocodaVe

crocodaVe Member

:thumbup:

For the OP though, that board has a pair of NF200's and would be ideal for your plan I reckon. Still can get em for $220 ish

14. SiriusDragon

SiriusDragon Member

nf200s probably aren't that helpful in this case anyway seen as they won't be in sli and you only need the nf200s to enable 4-way sli :)

as a result if the op only needed 4 cards in one system they could grab any x58 board with 4 pci-e x16 slots :D

of course for more than 4 you really need nf200s...

15. partybear

partybear Member

Since your looking for the cheapest way, you can actually put a gtx580 into the smaller pci express slots too.

Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3ZC5LjaWbo

I've done it by just cutting the bit of plastic on the actual mother board, but you will probably need the risers anyway by the sounds of it.

Doing it this way you can pretty much use any motherboard so you could get a really cheap one instead of a super computer one.

16. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

Essentially teh cards would not be in direct contact with the motherboard you would need to build a bracket to raise them away from the mobo itself and use ribbon extentions to connect them to the mobo.

IF YOU REALLY DON'T WANT TO SPEND MUCH JUST BUY SOME RUBBER BLOCKS AND DOUBLE SIDED TAPE THEN JUST TAPE, BLOCK, TAPE (OR STACK A FEW LAYERS OF DOUBLE SIDED TAPE TOGETHER) THEM IN EACH CORNER IN A STACK AND SIT THEM ON THE FLOOR OF THE CASE (TOP MOUNTED PSU) XD

You could also go with 3 590's to give you 6 fermi cores but of course not 3gb of ram.

17. Teamk1ller

Teamk1ller (Banned or Deleted)

used to have a P6T6, the younger brother of that board. best board i ever had.

18. OP
    OP
    fredster

fredster Member

I'm ready to have this things built, cause the 2 x gtx 580s I'm using is just not enough computing power. Most of the time I can only run 1 of the gtx 580s cause I need the other to run the system.

I can't get gtx 590s cause most of my scenes are over 1.5gbs in size.

I have some questions though.
    I'm trying to build this for up to $1000 is it possible?? That should cover everything except the GPUs and PSU.

I have a few questions though. So the number of pci express slots a board has determines the number of cards I can attach to it. Like if it has only 4 for example there's no way to extend it further?

What would be the best setup?
    mb $200
    cpu $200
    hdd $100
    ram $100
    case $100
    other $100
    ---------
    total $800

what else would I need, how much are ribbon extensions and where would I get the from?

I will likely be running this render farm pretty much 24hrs a day over the next few months, until I upgrade to something better. Will I get away with just the standard fans? I really don't want fancy cooling, cause I assume that's going to make the cost go through the roof?

If it's a hot day and I have both GTX 580s rendering they do go up to 80C and 90C, that's probably pushing it, but I can turn on the AC will that help? Or maybe an ordinary fan and keep the case open?

The 3 gtx 580s I have now are all bigger than the average 2 slots, does that mean my only option is to stack them at the bottom of the case as suggested and use risers?

I'm a bit concerned my electricity bill will be enormous. I did get a good discount from my electricity provider though :)

I want to buy this machine asap, so any help would be great. Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  19. proffesso

proffesso Member

24gb ram for $100?

i'd be very wary about temps, if your rendering 24/7 its going to get hot, and will draw a shitload of power, so the psu will need to be very solid as well.

out of interest, is this machine for paid work? or just a hobby machine you can mess about with that doesnt matter if it goes down for a few days at a time?

20. OP
    OP
    fredster

fredster Member

paid work, I can mess with the system, but I'd rather it's not down for long

yes, I think I might exchange the PSU for something better, I just bought it recently

currently I have this 1200W PSU http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui5X2TbZQkY

but originally I bought it for 3 x GTX 580, not sure it will handle 4

Anybody know where I can find more GTX 580 3gb second hand? Can't find any on ebay, cept for oversees, ok to buy from oversees?