Heroes of Newerth (General Discussion)

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Glitchlol, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Glitchlol

Glitchlol Member

INVITE REQUEST THREAD HERE.
    ^ NO LONGER NEEDED, BETA IS OVER!

This thread is for the general discussion of Heroes of Newerth, a stand alone DotA clone running on the Savage engine.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a search, and was wondering why there wasn't a discussion thread.. apparently the NDA was changed a couple of weeks ago to allow people to discuss it now!

Edit 3/09/09 - NDA lifted! http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/showthread.php?t=17787

Im yet to read up about the game, but apparently its based heavily on the warcraft3 custom map DOTA.
    I'll be trying it out tonight, apparently heroes and items are the same as they are in the current version of dota, but have different names, or look different.

My game name is Glitchlol, feel free to add me!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  2. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

A kind OCAU'er sent me a beta invite the other day (won't mention names for fear of him being swamped with "INVAIET PLAEZ!")

I've played maybe 20 games since then, and it is pretty fun :)

It is quite literally, a stand alone dota with the following improvements:
    -Extra maps
    -Ability to reconnect after a DC
    -Stat tracking (both blessing and curse)
    -Quite well rounded community features, including clan support/friendlist/banlist etc
    -Very nice interface (I don't know why, I just really like the interface for this game)
    -Very very nice graphics, that run suprisingly well. I'm running almost max settings on my pc (listed in sig), just without AA/AF.

It currently has some horrible balance issues, but I'm sure they will be worked out. Shop system is really nice, but will be a bit confusing initially (for both noobs, and dota vet's alike)

It still suffers from the god-awful prepubescent pub community that dota does though; which makes me dread the day they figure out it has voice comms built in, albeit muteable.

Not sure if it is enough to warrant forking out full price for it, considering I did dota to death a few years ago... but who knows, I've enjoyed what I've played so far.

One thing that MUST be added, is a volume slider for hero sounds, rather than just a checkbox. I like having them on in pub games, as it adds a bit of atmosphere, but some of them are just wayyyyy too loud.

add me in game: purehybrid

Yep its pretty much an exact clone. There are a couple of new heroes, a couple of merged heroes, but very similar overall. I don't think theres any changes to the item system, other than orb effects stacking properly now (with certain exceptions for balance reasons).

If you want an easier time while learning, the current redic op heroes, seem to be: madman(weaver clone, minus timewarp, plus crazy ms/as ulti), scout(although easily counterable, in pub/noob games hes redic)/Jereziah (I think this guy is omni, havn't seen him really, just heard the qq :p)

PS: ITT, essays!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  3. OP
    OP
    Glitchlol

Glitchlol Member

The download is quite small too, I heard its only ~300mb?

4. ORiGINAL

ORiGINAL Member

I got an invite to this last night, the client is downloaded and sitting at home waiting for me to have a go tonight. I've never played DotA or anything like it before so I expect to get owned pretty severely.

Yeah 240MB-260MB I think it was.

5. ravescar

ravescar Member

Wow only 300mb?

the features that caught my eye is ability to reconnect after DC and the graphic so far.

Questions for anyone who played it:
    1. How is the game length wise? same length as dota or quicker/slower?
    2. Still possible to kill hero very quickly by stunlocking?
    3. Are there a lot of random crashes/bugs currently(beside hero imbalance, which is given)?

6. Flares222

Flares222 Member

all my invites have been sent out guys.

you too bass since you asked right above me. I thnk everyone gets beta invites after about 5-10 games or so. try to spread the love and give out the invites because the game is awesome.

cyas in game, ign is Edmond

7. frieten

frieten (Banned or Deleted)

cheers your a legend and i will definatley spread the invites around once i get some :)

see ya in game i will be frieten or rayuki ingame :)

8. frieten

frieten (Banned or Deleted)

i will send you one once i get to the invite part lol.

or im sure someone else will be happy to :)

9. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

Sigh, I knew this thread would turn into invite spam, lol :(. Maybe we should have a seperate ones for discussion and invites?

Yeh I think its 240 for initial download + a couple of v.small in game patches.

1) I've only played random pugs, but it seems to be a little bit shorter than dota.
    2) Yes. Building 'stunlock' itembuilds isn't nearly as effective though I think. I've heard theres an internal cooldown on basher procs etc. However, in terms of multiple disabler heroes, ganking someone.. .they can definitely be 100-0'd.
    3) Client has been 100% stable. Not a single crash or issue. Had a few really wierd 'not authenticated' errors and stuff, however I've been told this is just what happens when master/auth servers die. Only once did this actually kick me from a game though.

Also the hero-balance gripes I mentioned above, are only really for noob/pub level play. From what I've heard, the game is pretty balanced already for competitive play.

10. ravescar

ravescar Member

Thanks for the answer, can't wait to try it at home tonight, got the client downloaded now.

11. Bass

Bass Member

I've never played DOTA. The learning curve is very steep heh. Is it similar to Demigod in that there are certain items that're head and shoulders best bang for your buck? (for those that played demigod I mean like Plenor, Vlemish faceguard etc)

12. OP
    OP
    Glitchlol

Glitchlol Member

Thanks for cleaning up the mess Ma Baker! :).

I had a couple of games tonight.. First impressions..

The way the keybinds are set up is fantastic, im sure it won't take the dota vets long to get use to them. All the essential war3 ones are there. Holding alt displays hp/mana bars, alt + click pings the map, A for attack, (didn't test hold or stop).

This will be hard to explain without being able to post a screnshot.. But as you know most heroes have a maximum of 4 abilities (dunno what they did with invoker?) and instead of them being assigned random letter hotkeys, Q W E R become your default spell/abilities buttons (with passive abilities not doing anything when pressed, duh). As spells or abilities are put on cooldown, they are greyed out, with an actual figure and classic clocklike watermark displaying the cooldown remaining.
    Ontop of that, pressing Alt and Q W E, A S D activates the corresponding inventory item, who even used the keypad to do this previously??

Buy menu is a bit complicated at first, but only because its so different. Gone are the days of researching what to buy to make a sheepstick. Just select the sheepstick item from the shop, and it brings up a kind of short list of what you need to make that item, clicking on the item in the shortlist purchases it for you.. this I think will take the most getting use to.

13. Campster123

Campster123 Member

Game is epic.

Exactly what I was wanting. It'll take some adjusting to get into the feel of it, etc, but overall, VERY good so far.

The perfect upgrade to dota so far.

14. hvalac

hvalac Member

Yeh i played dota a few times n wasn't really into it, but i'm loving this, I personally find that the hero's are pretty evenly matched, but they can seem overpowered but aren't, I love being able to re-connect to the game i was in after my net drops out, 1 think i don't like is the fact that there is only US,EU,and Japan servers, I say we need some AU servers at least but it's still very playable on 300ping (us server)

O yeh my name in game is hvalac.... SURPRISE

15. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

Yeh I usually ping between 200 and 280, but never feel any delay in game. The netcode seems to be really good. I'd say the only characters that might have trouble high ping, would be the new pudge, with his hook. Other than that, all gravy!

16. ravescar

ravescar Member

Have a few game last night, and i think it is an excellent upgrade to dota. in term of 1 to 10 i would rate it as 8 currently.

I particularly like the the intuitiveness of the new recipe system, the graphic is also pretty good compared to dota, with good widescreen support.

The ping for me is about 200~240ms but the games are definitely very playable.

Yeah the new hotkeying is badass, QWER for all heroes, no fiddling to reach new key binding whenever i play a new hero.

it still have 3 minor gripes for me:
    1. no options that i can toggle to make health bar visible at all time.
    2. The graphic is pretty good compared to dota, however i still need to get used to the structures and map compared to the DOTA map. in DOTA map it is easier to see at a glace the levelled terrains, in HoN it is a bit harder. Also as a personal taste, i prefer Ziggurat to the new lava/hellfire themed tower.
    3. for some reason i get the impression that LOS is not as "pronounced" as in DOTA

The Spell effect were less chaotic than dota, it is much easier to see what is going on even when many AoE spell going off at once, a definite plus for me.

my ingame name is ravescar

17. ORiGINAL

ORiGINAL Member

Just hit tilde (~) at the start of each game ;)

18. OP
    OP
    Glitchlol

Glitchlol Member

Holy crap.. will try this tonight! haha.

My G15's left Alt key broke because of DotA.

19. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

I believe it is actually the single quote button ' (to the left of <enter>) that toggles healthbars.. however tilde might do it too :)

20. ravescar

ravescar Member

There is an option in warcraft 3 to always display health bar.

holy crap, will try this.